Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Default PCOS'ers/people on metformin

I was going to do an update of my other thread but I want views.

So far I've been on 500 mgs a day with minimal side effects. A little bit of nausea the first couple days but the past three I've felt GREAT! Like to the point I didn't realize how bad I felt before. I have a ton of energy, which I never have, I'm always exhausted. I'm wondering if it's the met or just a coincidence? I seriously had trouble sitting still all day at work and was fighting the urge to run laps around the build (I sound crazy). I'm not worried about it per say because for the past few years in a lot of ways I've felt dead so often and so incredibly tired. Anyone had that happen?

The other thing I've noticed is that I'm not hungry at all. I don't know if it is going hand in hand with the nausea but I'm almost having to force feed myself so I won't be taking it on an empty stomach. Does that go away? All I've had today is a cup of oatmeal for breakfast, a salad with chicken I couldn't finish for lunch, some iced tea, a coffee, and then I ate a few carrots and some chicken just now. Dinner time I've been a little hungrier but lunch and breakfast have been tough to actually eat.

Another concern is that I'm reading that women with PCOS need to be on at least 1500 mgs to see any change in anything but my Dr seems to only want to try 1000 mgs. How much are you guys on?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

I was on 500mg twice a day. I'm terrible and haven't gone in for my 1 year recheck, so I'm not on it at the moment. When I first started I definitely noticed more energy and just overall feeling better, and less appetite. I never was nauseous from it. My problem was I kept forgetting to take the **** pill. I was pretty good in the morning, but forgot at night about half the time.

I'm considering trying chromium and cinnamon until I get another appointment. I've heard chromium works just as well as metformin but with less side effects (though like I said, I never really had any side effects). I have a bottle of it sitting around, so maybe I'll start it. I do need to get in to the doctor within the next couple months for a round of medroxyprogesterone though anyway :/
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm All Ears

I've heard the chromium mentioned but haven't gotten to look into it much at all.

I feel like my energy level has skyrocketed. It's almost too much since I really can't sit still (I'm fiddling around all the time I find). I've read a few other people say they have the same thing happen on the PCOS forums.

The nausea has been okay. Been having a lot of gas (tmi lol) too but it's all bearable. One or two bouts of upset stomach but definitely nothing like I was preparing for from what I've read about side effects. It seems less and less each day.

I'm talking to my Dr on the phone tomorrow before I up the dosage. Mine was only 30 pills in a bottle and if I'm taking 2 a day then I'll need to refill it every 2 weeks!? Seems like that's really often and I only have two more prescriptions on the bottle (but I have a follow up appointment in 2 months)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

My energy levels are definitely higher than before taking met. I also don't get any shakes anymore and I don't feel hungry much anymore. It comes and goes... right now, I'm just eating a plain greek joghurt in the morning with fresh blueberries. Sometimes I skip lunch, or I eat a small salad. Or a high protein, low carb protein bar, but I try to stay away from processed foods. I need to eat more and better, but right now I just don't feel like it (plus, Dan is out of town and it's easier to slip into these bad habits).

When I first started taking met, I had bad digestive problems. If I took met (and I took it with food), it would come out. Violently. LOL. TMI. It has gotten a lot better now, but every now and then I still get an upset stomach. Oh, and I take 500mg three times a day.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Top Dog

Oh, I do remember I used to go hypoglycemic when I was taking metformin, but only if I ate crap for breakfast/dinner. When I was doing low carb that never happened. It was never to bad, but I did get shaky and lightheaded.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

It's looking pretty likely that I (officially) have PCOS unless it's something worse. Went in last week and had some bloodwork drawn, doc said yeah probably PCOS. Got the results back, they wouldn't confirm or deny if I have PCOS over the phone, but I have to go have a consult with an endocrinologist. Tons of fun!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Good luck! It sucks to have it and yet on the other hand it's nice to have a diagnosis and plan of action. If you ever have any questions, there's a great group of PCOSers on here.

For anyone curious, they upped my metformin and now I take it in the afternoon/evening. I'm really bad about forgetting to take it on the dot. It works much better in the evening and I'm not having any shakes or things like that anymore. I'm on 1000 mgs of the extended release. The first couple weeks after taking it I had some middle of the night nausea. I'm still having some random gastric upset type stuff that hits me really fast and then vanishes(not fun). I can't pinpoint it though or tie it to the medicines.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Laur, do you just take it once a day? I think I could manage to remember once a day, but I could never remember to take it twice a day. I need to make an appointment soon, and I was considering asking about the extended release.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I'm taking it once daily. I remember to take it but just not at the same time. I've been aiming for right after lunch. I remember it well when I take it right after breakfast but then I feel not so great if I take it before I work out that day.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

How are you guys doing? How's your medications?

I'm not currently on anything, and I really don't want to go back to the endocrinologist. I'm thinking I'm going to start taking NAC (N-acetylcysteine) as a supplement. I'm a little concerned as I think my hair may be thinning and wondering if this might help. I've had family members (and my boss, who I travel with) mention the amount of hair I shed when I "do" my hair. I took maybe one bottle of chromium when I first found out about the PCOS, but I'm not totally comfortable with it.

I'm wanting to start on a birth control, but I'm not sure what the best option is for PCOSers, I will probably make an appointment with my gyno and see what they think. I will not take "the pill" but am thinking of depo shots. I really have not gotten a full period in maybe three years now, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible!