Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Kay has excellent advice!!!!

a peat based bedding is especially nice for it breaks down the urine and is far healthier for your pet. I do love mice. Have you seen the spiney mouse?

When i get back i got a couple drawings to share about my son's escaping mouse One day i hope to have it put together for a children's story.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
no touchy

I'm not sure about the gender either.

I'd get a tank though, too. That way they can't get out.

Good luck, I love rodents!! Used to have a rat, so sweet. It loved to cuddle.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirg8101992
Ok, so ive always wanted a mouse but mom hates them, so i decided to buy my own.
I have absolutely no room to talk, having lied, smuggled, bullied and cried to get pets during my (some would say, prolonged) childhood, but you really want to step carefully around your mom if you're getting an animal she hates. If she just dislikes the smell and bother, that's one thing. But if she's at all phobic, you and the mice are in big trouble when you're found out.

Other than that - I'd recomend being very careful about gender (having gone through the Long Hot Summer of Gerbil Cannibalism, I know what I'm talking about) to the extent of telling the pet store that if it turns out one of the 'females' you buy is a male, you're dumping the whole mess back on their doorstep. Bleach should kill anything lingering in the cage, though I'd prefer an aquarium as they're harder to bust out of. Mice really have nothing better to do all day than plot an escape, and that would be an ugly scene with your mom. I got lucky - my dad discovered my illicit rat (in the middle of the night, no less) and he was, if not thrilled, at least not too upset.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

When I was a child I sneeked many animals.....right under the parents noses. LOL.

I had a lizard hidden for a week......didn't tell mom until during church services. She couldn't say too much right then....and gave her a little time to cool down.

I also found a homeless pup.. hid her in my car until bedtime....then took her to my room.......I would have gotten away with it but the little booger decided to get playful.....sounded like a tasmanian devil. Lol
Of course she woke them up at about 2:00 am. Not a good time for that to happen. We did end up finding her a good home though.

Ohhhh....there were many more...but don't want to give the younger kids any bad ideas.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:17 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Meggie was it like this ? http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ork/zaniac.jpg (if you put your browser down in the right hand corner a box with arrows will show up, click on that and it will make it bigger)

lol Julie i had a kitten in my room for days too! I already had one cat so their was a litter box in there already that i cleaned so Mom had no idea until she heard him Then i was in trouble but of course i got to keep it.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Omgosh smkie, did you do that??? That has to be one of the cutest drawings I've seen in a long time!

When I was a kid I was always bringing home "pets". Unfortunately it took me a very long time to figure out that my mother was petrified of snakes and rodents, oops.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

oh I love that drawing smkie.

I wish I could draw.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

that mouse was the greatest escape artist and had to have had more then 9 lives. He lived to be a very old mouse and died of natural causes. Considering i pulled him out of one dog's (Garg) mouth, found Bronki licking him between his paws (soggy on top dry on bottom) as well as the multiple other times he was found for instance top shelf of closet, he had an angel watching over him.
He would check each set of wires looking for the slightest bend. I would study them all and think i had him "caged" only to see he had escaped again. I hated putting him in a tank but had no other solution. I don't approve of habitrails, not enough ventilation. One day i will write his story to be sure. My son took very good care of his mouse for 3 years without help. He had wanted one before he could speak. Kept an imaginary one in his pocket and would take it out and stroke it putting it on his shoulder. Later replaces with a toy one until i felt he was old enough to care for a real one. He would pick out a houdini.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 06-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Wow, lots of stuff to read! Thanx everyone!

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.
5 year old Female Mutt - 1 year old ESS Female - 1 year old ESS Male

The rest of my crew: Ozzy, Black Berkshire male rat; Stinky, Black Hooded male rat; Kittiwi, Black Female Mix cat; Barrel, Black Male Mix cat; Raviolli, blue/black/white Parakeet male (My family owns a lot more animals, but these are just the animals that i either own or take care of).
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
I'd go with 2 females...never had mice but every mouse owner I've talked to agrees: male mice smell AWFUL. It's possible for 2 males to get along but I think it'd be pretty tricky.

I'd get an exercise wheel too...make sure it's a solid one, not one with the rungs, you wouldn't want any little feetsies or tails falling through and breaking while they're running!
Ok, thanx! Thats really good advice, with 2 larger animals living in my room already! lol

Ya, i have one, the cage we bought for our mini hamster came with toys and a food dish and water thingy (i dont know what theyre called). And, yes, the wheel is completely solid outiside with little ridges on the inside to get traction.

Thanx agian for the advice!

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.
5 year old Female Mutt - 1 year old ESS Female - 1 year old ESS Male

The rest of my crew: Ozzy, Black Berkshire male rat; Stinky, Black Hooded male rat; Kittiwi, Black Female Mix cat; Barrel, Black Male Mix cat; Raviolli, blue/black/white Parakeet male (My family owns a lot more animals, but these are just the animals that i either own or take care of).