Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Question Getting a mouse/mice

Ok, so ive always wanted a mouse but mom hates them, so i decided to buy my own. I already have a cage (it was used for our old hamster) but my sister also put a sick bird in it once, so anyone know what i should wash it with? Im also wondering if i could get 2 mice, if so what genders? I read in a book that 2 males will fight and a male and a female would breed, so would i have to get 2 females? Ok, one more question, what all should i get, just to make sure i take care of them right? I used to have a mouse book, but i dont know, i think AJ chewed it up. Thanx! -M.irg

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.
5 year old Female Mutt - 1 year old ESS Female - 1 year old ESS Male

The rest of my crew: Ozzy, Black Berkshire male rat; Stinky, Black Hooded male rat; Kittiwi, Black Female Mix cat; Barrel, Black Male Mix cat; Raviolli, blue/black/white Parakeet male (My family owns a lot more animals, but these are just the animals that i either own or take care of).
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I don't know about mice.....but I am getting two female rats next week.
From what I can tell two females are the best bet.

You should consider rats....they are much smarter and some really like attention and to be held.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Ok thanx! Lol, i would get rats, but at least the petshops around here, they are a lot more expensive, plus, our cage would be too small. We are going to get rats sooner or later though, my sister and i both love rats, mice, snakes, birds, ect. They are a good break from the big, slobbery, clumsy dogs. Thanx agian!

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.

The rest of my crew: Ozzy, Black Berkshire male rat; Stinky, Black Hooded male rat; Kittiwi, Black Female Mix cat; Barrel, Black Male Mix cat; Raviolli, blue/black/white Parakeet male (My family owns a lot more animals, but these are just the animals that i either own or take care of).
Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Yea, I have to purchase a cage for mine too. But I am getting my rats from a breeder...and they are not that expensive that way. I think she is just in it for fun.

Good Luck with your mice.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Thanx

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Puppy Dog

i think 2 females would be easier to keep.

about the cage, antiseptic should be ok just. what was it sick with?

what else have you got for the mice at the moment?

you could also consider gerbils? i have 1 (did have 2) and they are just lovely. they love to be petted and come out to run about your hands or whatever. they are quite amusing to watch aswell.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Smiles and wiggles

Im not sure what it was sick with, i think it just had a broken leg, but it couldve had the bird flu or something. Umm... i think the only other thing i have for mice is treats. Ya, ill look at the gerbils, too. Ive always liked gerbils but this time im looking for the cheapest rodent the pet shop has. Mom and dad arent helping at all, money wise. If i end up getting the job i wanted, i will probably get a gerbil or something a little bigger.

Sophie - Simetra - A.j.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
orange iguanas.

I'd go with 2 females...never had mice but every mouse owner I've talked to agrees: male mice smell AWFUL. It's possible for 2 males to get along but I think it'd be pretty tricky.

I'd get an exercise wheel too...make sure it's a solid one, not one with the rungs, you wouldn't want any little feetsies or tails falling through and breaking while they're running!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

Ok, don't know about the gender thing, but I do have a little bit of advice for you. The cage, is it a small rodent cage, or a birdcage? Mice can squeeze through the bars of a birdcage, believe it or not. If you can swing it, save up and buy a Habitrail cage or something like.

Keep the cage on a table by itself, mice are smart and won't jump off if it's too high for them. They will run down anything hanging off the table though and they're wicked fast.

My son had a mouse a few years ago, sweet little thing. Not too long after we got it I noticed it's stomach bloating a bit. Rodents are prone to tumours so I thought that maybe the mouse was older than we were led to believe. Imagine my surprise when it gave birth to three babies on Christmas morning! We had thought it was a male. So there's a lesson, mice are notoriously difficult for your average pet shop employee to sex. They can also breed at a very young age, within a month or two of birth, I think?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Big Dog

I wouldn't buy from a pet shop.

Pet shop animals often die sooner because they are sick, they have inbred diseases and are rarely ever looked after properly in pet stores.

Buying from a pet shop is promoting irresponsible breeding (Just like in dogs, so it is with all other animals in pet stores) And they don't know how to sex small animals very well at all.
You are likely to ask for 2 females, and get a female and a male, and be stuck with a litter of babies. Or, you may end up with 2 males who fight. Or, get the 2 females, but one or both may be pregnant. This is VERY common when getting pet store rodents/rabbits/cavies.
Check rescues around you, they often have mice.

For cage I would buy a 10-20 gallon aquarium, and a screen lid for it.

I have a question though, you say your parents aren't helping; but they know you are getting the mice right?
May I ask what happens in an emergency? What if your mouse is suddenly very sick and, needs $200.00 surgery to survive. Just a theory. How would you get the money for that?
Vet bills in all animals can get quite expensive, and if you're having trouble with the basics you need to figure out a way to pay vet bills should the need arise, beforehand.

For bedding, do *not* use pine or cedar, they are toxic.
Aspen and carefresh are terrific beddings (I prefer carefresh)
Two females would be the best choice.

A healthy mouse diet consists of carbs, veggies and proteins.
Protein:barley, wheat, peas, oats, corn,dog biscuits (No onion or garlic in the ingredients!)
Carbs: yeast, milk, etc.....
Do research on safe/unsafe mice foods....Add these sorts of foods to your mouse's regular "mouse mix" bought from the pet store.

Here is an article on a good diet:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art9805.asp