Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Well I'm staying in 2 hostels so I'm sure they won't have bellhops! Do I have to tip anyone in there

I'm going on a trip on a boat - do I have to tip them?? Do I just hand it to them?? Do I have to say anything? I've only ever tipped for food (and like once or twice the hairdresser, but that just feels awkward). Oh and a taxi. Like 50p or something lol.

I rarely even tip bar staff and I used to be one.

Do I put money in people's hand?
I totally accept cheesecake.

I wouldn't think you'd need to tip anyone at a hostel.

But as far as how to tip... With waitresses you leave it on the table. With valet, delivery, bellhop type stuff you just say "here this is for you" and hand hand it over. With a maid you'd leave it on the room's dresser or table.

I can be an awesome or cheap tipper. I am of the mind they need to earn the tip and that it shouldn't just be assumed. With waitresses I usually always tip something unless they totally suck... But if someone rocks I may leave a HUGE tip. It's a sliding scale. HaHa.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Stupid question #103 - you don't have dollar coins there do you?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Stupid question #103 - you don't have dollar coins there do you?
Actually we do!!!! But hardly anyone uses them, so I highly doubt you will ever see one. LOL.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

You get them mostly out of vending machines in the US, cruise ship employees hate them because many places will not take them lol.

For delivery I usually tip $5, my maid, depending on the length of my stay, usually I give one tip at the end, but 3-5/day, if I'm at a resort I will tip first day, because you usually get better service then lol. Wait staff, is generally 10%, but I will give more for exceptional service and less or none for crappy service.

I do usually tip at fast food/take out places, but only cash in the jar, never on my debit card.

If there is a bellhop somewhere, tip them first as well, for better service.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

I pretty much only tip waiters and waitresses at restaurants if they take my order and serve me. If I am picking food up at a counter (like fast food) then no tip, unless I go there often and they have a little jar - then I'll drop in a couple dollars. you are never expected to leave tips in the jars at coffee shops or take out restaurants, but it's appreciated.

I always tip waiters 20%, though in other areas 15% is more common. For drinks at a bar I tend to tip $1 per drink, or $1 per two drinks. It's a courtesy to leave the tip as cash, but it's also ok to write in on the credit card receipt (there will be a line for tip, and a line to total up the bill). At a bar or restaurant you just leave it on the bar or on the table.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. If you take a tour you might want to tip the tour guide, but I typically don't. There really aren't that many people you need to tip. I don't tip unless it's earned (like a tour guide or something), or someone at a hotel goes out of their way to carry my bags. At a hostel it's very unlikely you'd be expected to tip anyone. Outside of waiters or bartenders, the only person I remember tipping in the last couple years is my hair dresser.

ETA: Oh, and I tip taxi drivers. I rarely take taxis so I forgot about that one, but it's typical to tip them

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Basically, as said, if they provide you a service, you tip.

Restaurants or bars, since they just give a bill at the end, you just tip with that. If you use cash, you can just ask for a certain amount back if you don't have change (say it was $29, and you only have $40... you can give the $40 and ask for $5 back or however much you want). If you are paying by credit or debit, the machine will ask if you want to tip - and usually let you decide by percentage or a set amount.

The general understanding here (granted, Canada) is 15% tip, lower for crappy service/higher for great service. Personally, probably being that I am a bartender, if staff is attentive and polite, I try to leave 20%. If I find that they're not really being attentive (and the place isn't absolutely packed and understaffed), it's closer to 12-15%. I don't think I've ever really not tipped either a bartender or waitress, I think it would have to be really bad service to make me do that.

Coffee shops and fast food places have tip jars, usually. I'm pretty bad about tipping there, tbh. I just never really think about it, I guess.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I hate maths

My phone calculator is going to get some good use

Like 10%, 20% - easy. 15%....

I think I'm calmer now though. And let's face it, if I offend someone, I ain't never gonna see them again I will try and be a good local though!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

15 is easy too...just figure out 10 and then half of that will give you your extra 5

Though most places like restaurants etc standard is 20 so there you go
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
15 is easy too...just figure out 10 and then half of that will give you your extra 5

Though most places like restaurants etc standard is 20 so there you go
See, I told you maths wasn't my strong point

Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

That's one of the reasons I tip 20% at all restaurants - it's standard in many places, and it's very easy to calculate.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12