Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

I work at doggy daycare and boarding. I don't find that I have less tolerance or want to do less with Tucker when I get home (aside from normal I'm tired after work stuff), but I've found it makes me sort of feel different about him sometimes. It's strange, like I start viewing him as...generic dog. I almost feel detached from him, like he's just another random dog that I don't really have a relationship with. Once I spend some time with him doing something I get over it though.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I work at doggy daycare and boarding. I don't find that I have less tolerance or want to do less with Tucker when I get home (aside from normal I'm tired after work stuff), but I've found it makes me sort of feel different about him sometimes. It's strange, like I start viewing him as...generic dog. I almost feel detached from him, like he's just another random dog that I don't really have a relationship with. Once I spend some time with him doing something I get over it though.
I think this happens to most people who work with a large quantity of somethings (lol kids, dogs, people) you come home to more of those things and are like on "work mode"

Especially in daycare situations, it's so much less one-on-one with you than you'd expect (I call it working with a "herd" of dogs lol), so you find yourself just kind of an auto-dog-pilot where it's not fifi, max, sophie etc... it's just working with "these dogs" and maintaining the sort-of-chaotic peace and cleanliness of this group of animals

Usually only takes a minute of Merlin's antics and sitting down with him to realize how wonderful it is to work with ONE DOG lol and remember I'm not at work but I totally understand where you're coming from.

I think I would love day care 10000% more and would've stayed if there was one-on-one time, but honestly, it was really just a lot of cleaning and making sure nobody fights lol
Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I have mixed feelings. I work in both daycare/boarding and at a private dog park.

Daycare/boarding... yeah, I'm getting burned out of certain aspects. Mostly because it is LOUD. Since I've moved up to "office work" it has helped a lot, but I still do deal with the dogs a few days a week. Most are great, it's the few that aren't that really ruin it. Also, owners. Owners are the worst. I think if you stay away from them you are golden. My awesome coworkers help make it fun, though and I really do enjoy it a lot of the time.

The dog park is pretty fun. It's basically just cleaning, socializing with our clients and providing information. I don't want to say it's relaxed, because my boarding job is definitely more relaxed, but it's a different type of environment because it isn't always GOGOGO.

So yeah, some days I feel burned out but others I love it. I'm no help.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm All Ears

I would try it. Definitely wouldn't hurt and you can't know how it will fit you until you try!

I do think most jobs go through cycles of burnout too. I know I do with mine.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Sit! Good dog.

My first ever job was working in a boarding facility. It's hard work, smelly (so much poop), loud and cold and wet a lot.

It's a good experience though, and if this is just a job whilst you finish schooling then I'd say go for it. Not like you're tied to it forever, and you can always leave and find another job if you hate it

You might love it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I feel like I would enjoy training a lot more than kennel work. Most people around here just need basic training and I'm good with that. I am working with my grandmas crazy Goldendoodle this weekend and as much as he can annoy me otherwise, I do get a lot of pleasure out of seeing him think and learn and see his potential.

I'm a little worries this place might be more into Aversive type training for some strange reason though. I talked to the owner on the phone and got that vibe. I don't think I could train in a place that I don't agree with the methods.

My dad keeps telling me to try Petsmart but I know as a trainer there, you're mostly doing retail I think?

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 PM
orange iguanas.

I would get soooo burnt out at a daycare. I turned down a FT daycare job, after doing a working interview for like 2 hours I thought holy crap who would want to do this all day.

Pet store and vet tech job don't bother me at all. Pet store was minimal dog interaction, just talking about them like I would on Chaz lol. And as a tech, what I do at work is so different from how I spend time with my own dogs that it doesn't affect me. They're still how I want to spend my free time and unwind.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

IME, if you don't like the people and the pay isn't great, or there are main philosophy's you disagree with, you are going to get burnt out fast working that much.

I worked in shelters for a few years, and left for the politics, pay, and philosophies above all else. It was rewarding, but tiring - kept me very fit.

I love training and don't get burnt out a single bit because I work with awesome people doing exactly what I love to do and the way I like to do it.

eta; working in an office with a ton of people coming in and calling that have no idea what they're talking about in regards to their animals and how they can't afford them- that gets tiring. But, the physical stress is non-existent so there is not much stress stacking.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I'm a little worries this place might be more into Aversive type training for some strange reason though. I talked to the owner on the phone and got that vibe. I don't think I could train in a place that I don't agree with the methods.

My dad keeps telling me to try Petsmart but I know as a trainer there, you're mostly doing retail I think?
I could see this as a problem. I don't 100% agree with my head trainer on everything but at this point, I teach my classes and she does hers and they don't intersect or anything, so it's not a problem. Our classes are slightly different from each other but it's not like she's out there dragging dogs around on prongs and I'm over here with a clicker or anything like that. We aren't worlds apart in training methods. But if that WERE the case, yeah, I wouldn't be able to deal with that unless they just gave me carte blanche to do whatever and weren't going to hassle me about it.

As far as PetSmart goes, you do a lot of retail, and you do sales of your own classes, and also, you are a Cookie Cutter. I've never done it myself but my understanding from people I know who have done is is... you must teach 100% how PetSmart tells you to teach. You are not supposed to deviate. If you train somebody in a method that is not "the PetSmart way," you can be personally held liable if something bad happens. I considered doing it years ago, but at this point, no way would I do it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 AM
Duuuuude.

It really depends on the place but IME I definitely get burned out on daycare. I've worked at 3 different daycares and the experiences were all different. The first one was small and great until we became lax about a particular aggressive dog and then it was very stressful and difficult, but I was also just a kid with no experience (16/17.) The second was small and horribly run and it was a nightmare. It got to a point where I would drive by a park, see a young lab (or whatever) and instead of thinking "Aww" all I could think was "ugh, I bet that dog is a nightmare." It didn't damage my relationship with my dog at all but it damaged, at the time, how I viewed dogs which I hated. The last one was huge and although we had problem dogs, it was much easier to deal with because it was run well and I had an amazing team of coworkers. Still, daycare is not for me and I have no intention of ever doing it again.

In the end, you really won't know unless you try it yourself!

As far as PetSmart... I just started at PetSmart as a trainer. The classes are definitely very cookie cutter, and there is a curriculum you have to follow, but I'm able to put my own flair on things and have my own style of training (within the confines of +R and -P, but that's fine with me.) My understanding is that Petco is much more strict about training (trainers, specifically.) If I was teaching more advanced stuff, it might bother me, but honestly even through the Advanced classes it's not super difficult material, so working off a curriculum doesn't bother me. My Area Trainer really drilled the point that you can ADD to the curriculum, but absolutely cannot subtract from it. It is floor work (facing, cashiering, helping customers) as well and you do have to sell your classes, so that's something to consider. If you aren't looking to be SUPER SRS TRAINER (which is awesome and I hope to be eventually, but I'm not there yet) it might be an option worth looking into. But I've only been there about a month now and I'm talking mostly about what I've been told/trained, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff