Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Top Dog

Default Working with dogs

So I have this new job opportunity to work near my dads house. It's a boarding facility but they also have training, grooming, etc.

The guy I spoke with said he's interested in someone 30-40 hours per week at the moment and also someone who is willing to learn training as well as do kennel work. He has been a trainer for over 30yrs, he said, and is having health problems so he can't handle the bigger dogs as well anymore.

I have another job opportunity to possibly work at a pet store so basically retail.

Those that work with dogs -- do you find you get worn out... or not want to work with your own dogs as much when you get home? I'm worried about making myself not like dogs as much by being around them all the time... I don't know, I seem to think it's something I'd enjoy and I know it's not going to be easy... but it's what I know and what I'm good at.

It's not really the career path I was looking at overall but it could work for me for the next 2 years while I finish my schooling. But who knows maybe it will lead to something more.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I worked at a very small scale daycare, and even with that I would go home and be like "GO LAY THE BLEEPITY DOWN! I'M TIRED OF DOGS!" but I know people who also don't feel that way at all.

I can't wait to get out of the pet industry, though at least right now it's just retail. I'm just so done with stupid people and annoying dogs.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I would be burnt out some days, yes. Especially with kennel work. After a long day of dealing with idiot dogs barking up a storm, I'd get home and be like, "STOP BARKING BECAUSE YOU ARE HAPPY. MAKE NO NOISE."

But I was typically gone all morning at school, then working for 4 hours, then going home. So essentially 12-13 hour days. I typically don't want to do anything with the dogs after being gone that long regardless of where I was gone.

And the kennel facility I worked at had too many dogs in too small of an area with too few staff and supplies. The dogs were well taken care of, don't get me wrong, but a pleasant environment it was not. I think I would have been much happier and less stressed had the conditions been different. The place I work at now has a very nice boarding facility, and they max have 20 dogs at a time, with 2 people on staff - that is the minimum I'm used to, with only one person. LOL

Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Aware

Everyone I know who has worked in daycare or boarding has come to hate it at least for a while. Myself included.

I'd do much better if I was working for a daycare or kennel and had set hours, rather than pretty much having to do it 24/7 for sometimes weeks at a time with no real break.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Wookie Collie

I didn't get burnt out working at the pet food store, in fact it often made me eager to get home to Finn and do fun things/give him new presents from work. LOL.

The daycare? I worked there before I could have a dog of my own, and even then I said hellllll no to dogs after work. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Top Dog

I work about that many hours at a daycare/training facility now and I really enjoy it. I do more training than daycare, granted. I only have two daycare shifts a week and I'm happy with that.

We DON'T do boarding so the daycare dogs are pretty much all regulars... meaning I've known most of them for months or more, they know me and the routine and are very easy to get along with now. It might be different if the group was constantly changing because boarding dogs were coming in or going home.

I'm usually pooped by the end of the day. Sometimes mentally - I just want to drive Venice to the park and mindlessly throw a ball for her or let her run. Sometimes if it's been busy and I've been running around, I'd rather just plunk myself in a chair and work on tricks with her.

If anything, working with dogs all day has increased my enthusiasm for dogs. On the other hand, it has left me with very little patience for idiot owners. We use almost exclusively positive reinforcement and negative punishment at our facility, and when I've spent a whole day talking to people about how to toilet train their dog without slapping his face in it, or WHY they shouldn't put a prong on their reactive dog and yank on it, I really have no patience to spend time with people who don't share my training philosophy.

But I think your coworkers can make all the difference. I love my colleagues. They are great people and I look forward to going to work just to see them. I've made connections in the dog world and pretty much just really love what I do.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

It eventually wore me down. I worked outside in pretty hard conditions and by the time I got home I was exhausted, disgusting, and wanted to eat and then sleep.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Resident fainting goat

Working at a pet store/dog walking/occasional in home dog boarding was JUST ENOUGH for me, I got lots of fun (short) times with dogs, goodies for Merlin, and am excited to see him at the end of the day and still had energy.

Doggy daycare I only did for 2 months. It wore me out. At the end of the day I was gross, tired, hungry and just wanted to shower and sleep and never hear another bark. Our daycare had plenty of staff and was well managed, but still, it's a lot of work, a lot of noise, and dogs are usually there all day.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Lol all of these answers are kind of what I was afraid of

Maybe I should look elsewhere. Or go to the interview at the pet store.

I know I did dog walking during the day for 2 years just on my own through care.com and didn't mind that, but I want something a bit more 'official' and need a real paycheck as I'm working on my credit right now etc.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Those that work with dogs -- do you find you get worn out... or not want to work with your own dogs as much when you get home? I'm worried about making myself not like dogs as much by being around them all the time... I don't know, I seem to think it's something I'd enjoy and I know it's not going to be easy... but it's what I know and what I'm good at.
I think it really depends on what you do. In a boarding facility where your job is to take the dogs out to potty, play with them one on one, do some training, et cetera, I think that's a lot different than a lot of daycare settings. I don't work at the daycare (although I've considered it... just about anything is better than what I'm doing right now) but I know it's a lot of watching the dogs together to make sure nobody is being a jerk, separating when things get a little crazy, and cleaning up pee/poo a lot. It doesn't seem very glamorous or, really, fun.

OTOH with my job I just teach and train. I had nights where I worked 8-5 at the radio station, then drove to the training building, taught three hour long classes, then went home at 9pm. I'm dead at the end of that day... but it doesn't make me not like my dogs or not want to work with them. In some ways it actually makes me eager to go home and interact with them. Because they are so good LOL. Payton and Auggie are so smart, Georgie is so eager, I love to go back to them after teaching "the masses" shall we say. It makes me appreciate them and what we have going.
I think I've also said it before, it's very emotionally fulfilling for me. My students adore me and we have a lot of fun. People always have such nice things to say. One lady told me "You're just so good with dogs. I love watching you teach." and it was like my heart was just going to swell. It makes me feel good to help people have a better relationship with their dogs. Even when I'm feeling burnt out and wish I didn't have to teach that night because I would so much rather sit at home and watch Real Housewives and maybe drink some alcohol - that only lasts until I'm actually in the process of teaching my class, and then all those feelings go away.

So I think it just depends on what you're doing, and also your personality in general. It energizes me on multiple levels to work with people and their dogs. Not everybody is going to feel like that.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog