Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

YAY! That's so awesome!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Great picture...

Have fun at the park

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Well, I made the decision that Marnie will not be staying. And it sucks. It sucks a whole lot.

The short version is that Siri isn't comfortable with Marnie here.

The long version is that the day that Marnie came here, and the morning of the next day Marnie and Siri did just fine. Marnie even did fine with Siri's annoying I LOVE YOU LET ME CRAWL IN YOUR MOUTH routine. And then yesterday afternoon Marnie tried to play with Siri. She plays very Boxer like, where she slams her front half on the ground a couple times, then charges. For whatever reason, even though she usually loves playing with large and boisterous dogs, it scared Siri. She peed and ran away. Since then she's been uneasy around Marnie. We've worked some on relaxing while Marnie's on the other side of a gate, but even when she's operantly offering a relaxed position, she's obviously not actually relaxed around her. When she gets uneasy, Siri heavily weighs toward the fight over slight end of the spectrum. She hasn't tried to go after Marnie with intent, but she tooth chatters, hard stares, and growls whenever Marnie gets close.

I know that it's only two days in, and that it's really early to give up. But I said from the beginning that it had to be right for my dogs, and that I couldn't take on a project. When I said that I assumed I was talking about not being able to handle taking Marnie on if Marnie was a project dog. Even though it wouldn't be a project of Marnie, it's still a project. With working 40 hours and being in school full-time, I just DO NOT have the time to commit to signing up for a gate/rotate and behavior modification plan. Not to mention that I think it would be unfair to expect Ryan to help in a gate/rotate situation, when he already does so much to help out with Siri and Frodo.

It really just sucks. I've wasted Marnie's time, and my friend's time, and the rescues time. I feel so stupid and sorry for that. Marnie is so, so perfect. She's happy, and fun, and has an amazing zest for life, despite what she's been through. I love her, and it sucks that I can't keep her forever.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

That stinks. But you didn't waste anyones time. As a foster mom myself, I would much rather have someone make the choice you did then try and push on and have miserable dogs. Her home is out there, and so is your dog.

Quid went on a trial that failed for simialr reasons the first time I had him. He wasn't traumatized by it at all.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
That stinks. But you didn't waste anyones time. As a foster mom myself, I would much rather have someone make the choice you did then try and push on and have miserable dogs. Her home is out there, and so is your dog.

This.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Aw no. =/ I'm sorry. I also don't think you wasted anyone's time. Sometimes things just don't work out, and it's better to have found out after a careful bunch of test dates than to just try and force it and find out much, much later that things weren't going to work. Maybe if your situation was different, but if the timing isn't right, maybe it's just not meant to be. I know that doesn't help any. I really am sorry. It's tough.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

((((hugs)))), all the freaking hugs. I think you're smart and very brave for not forcing the situation. It doesn't make it suck less.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

I am so sorry It sucks that it didn't work out, but you definately didn't waste anybody's time at all. If nothing else, now you can let the shelter know how it went and they'll have that much more knowledge and success adopting Marnie out. This isn't a failure for Marnie, or for you. Marnie will find her home, and you'll find the right dog

I think you're a pretty awesome person for doing what's best for Marnie. She's a great dog, it won't be long before she finds the right forever home.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

I'm sorry. This isn't a failure, and you didn't waste anyone's time - you tried, and there's never any fault in that. You made the right decision for everyone involved, and you get all the (((hugs))) in the world for that.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Top Dog

I'm very sorry it didn't work out. I have been there and done it. Except my little dog started getting nasty with everyone, despite Sir's absence. There was no way I was rehoming Frag, so she got rehomed to my family where she is much more happy. We dealt with the issue for probably 6 months before the solution was found.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm