Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
You can actually order a cheese board for dessert in most places
In Canada, a lot of higher end restaurants all have cheese boards for dessert too.

And yes, we eat cheese on crackers quite often. In my house, whenever we host dinners, that's one of the usual snacks available for everyone.

In terms of the variety of cheese available, all the ones you listed are pretty common here in most moderate sized supermarkets but there's definitely less compared to when I lived in London. However, if you want a specialty type of cheese that's rarer, there are stores that carry a big selection of cheese and salami.

What we don't have here, well at least in Vancouver, is double cream like I used to buy in London. I also loved tubs of pre-made custard, like in yogurt tubs that I used to buy in London. Not sure if you have it where you are, but it doesn't exist (as far as I know) in Canada.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Wisconsin is a dairy state and cheese is a big deal here.

You can get all sorts of cheese in the supermarket we go to.

I could live on good cheese and crackers!

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Fascinating lol!

Yeah, can buy custard anywhere mmmmm custard....

Well. I've learnt something anyway!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You can get any cheese you fancy, nearly all in supermarkets. Cheddar, Red Leicester, Brie, Camembert, Stilton, Wensleydale, Roquefort..... The list goes on.
I know of Cheddar and Brie. Never tried Brie. The rest I've never heard of. A lot of times when I go to an event or something, there will be a wide variety of cheese but it's not labeled, so who knows what I've tried.

Most sandwich cheeses, are Cheddar, American (and any varieties in there, like White Cheddar or the orange American), Swiss, Provolone, Pepperjack. I am definitely a Swiss and Provolone fan. I loooove Portwine cheese on crackers. Other than those, I don't think I've paid much attention to "exotic" cheeses. I'd assume Wholefoods/Trader Joes/"Country market" stores would carry more exotic cheeses.

Quote:
Do you eat cheese and crackers???? Like cheese, cracker and chutney. You have to have a variety of weird cheese for cheese and crackers.

You can actually order a cheese board for dessert in most places
I come across cheese mostly as an hors d'oeuvre. Not so much as dessert.
No idea what chutney is.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

My recent favorite is Wensleydale with cranberries...oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!!!

I have been planning on making my own cheese for years and just have not gotten around to doing it.

Another favorite of mine that is easy to get

http://m.traderjoes.com/fearless-fly...article_id=341
Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 PM
such sights to show you

It depends on where you are. Some places have amazing choices, others not so much. Usually if you are in a big enough area to have small specialty groceries you can find whatever you want.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 PM
<----Thanks Allie

There is a store by my school that exists solely to sell you cheese & crackers. They don't sell anything else... However they are located right near a wine store, so all is good.

And my best friend lives down the street from whole foods which had a huge cheese counter(basically a deli where you can order as much of whatever kind of cheese you want and they cut it from the huge wedges and weigh it in front of you).

My friend and I have also been known to go a little crazy with our cheese, crackers & wine boards. Oh... And fig preserves on cheese. OMG SO GOOD!! We have gone to restaurants multiple times just for cheese & wine.

So yes.... There is cheese here! HaHa!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

There are local places that make their own cheddar around here... delicious. Basically you can find a lot of different kinds of cheddar. You can find camembert, blue cheese, gouda, brie, goat cheese pretty much everywhere... it's pretty pricy though (like $6 for a camembert). But fancier grocery store sell overpriced fancier European cheese too (French and Italian mostly). And yes, they're often eaten with crackers (I still like them better on French baguette though).
Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 PM
APBT crazy!

I absolutely love cheese. I like colby jack the best and provolone is really good on sandwiches. I really like cheddar too.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Slave to the Aussie

I live for cheese! The stronger and smellier the better.

There is a lot of crap here but some good too. Like walmart has a terrible cheese section even compared to like asda.

I buy a lot of British cheese but it's expensive and local cheese when I can find it.

San Francisco had some amazing cheese.