Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Question Random cheese question.

I was thinking about cheese.

What is the most popular cheese in the US? Can you buy all kinds of cheese?!!

We obviously have a lot of cheeses here, and a lot of continental cheeses. You can get any cheese you fancy, nearly all in supermarkets. Cheddar, Red Leicester, Brie, Camembert, Stilton, Wensleydale, Roquefort..... The list goes on.

No idea why this is bothering me lol.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Do you eat cheese and crackers???? Like cheese, cracker and chutney. You have to have a variety of weird cheese for cheese and crackers.

You can actually order a cheese board for dessert in most places
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

I think the most popular is cheddar. Probably because it's an all-purpose cheese. Grilled cheese sandwiches, basically any sandwich can go with cheddar. You put it on tacos, everything. Well, except for pizza (minus four-cheese pizza).

But... my favorite is pepperjack. Munster is also very good. I've never been to a restaurant and had a cheese board I think that's just a thing for fancier restaurants over here though.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

My favourite is old cheddar, but we can get almost anything, most can be bought sliced or shredded already as well, and Cheez Whiz is for toast, celery and crackers.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah especially at the more 'upscale' grocery stors. YOu can buy all kinds of cheese. I had a really good raspberry cheese a while back.

I like really sharp cheddar.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I *love* cheese and crackers. My favorite snacky food ever.

I think cheddar and colby cheese are the most popular. I'm a fan of pepper jack and colby. Most of the harsh white cheeses I really don't care for.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Resident fainting goat

My mother is a huge fan of the wine and cheese plate lol I've liked brie since I was a kid
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

Your basic grocery store or run of the mill place usually has crap unless you are in or around a major city or select areas. Lots of "american cheese" and processed just yuck. HOWEVER, there are plenty of places to get fabulous cheese as well.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I'm so excited to go to supermarkets when I'm on holiday. It's one of my most favourite things to do when I visit other countries

I'm going to look at the cheese aisle. I'm not even a massive cheese eater

FYI - you know Cheddar is a place right? I didn't even know cheddar cheese could be made outside of cheddar LOL

I guess that kind of inspired my question as a lot of cheeses are made very traditionally in certain places (Roquefort for example).

Not sure what the cheese obsession is today....

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

For whatever reason (maybe because we are a dairy state), we have a ton of specialty cheese places around here. I don't generally look into them much, because I'm super non-adventurous when it comes to cheese. Soft cheeses gross me out, although I did try the chevre made by my friend's dairy, and it was okay.

And of course we are the state of origin for the Best Cheddar in the World. I am always so shocked when I drive over a state line and order cheddar on a sandwich, and I get this mild orange stuff. In Vermont, cheddar is pretty much always white and very sharp.

And now I want it to be fall, when I can live off Macoun apples and cheddar for a few weeks....