Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Twin 2

Default Light Heat?

So Didgie's last (first) heat was SUPER obvious. She got very swollen, bled a lot and there were lost of indicators when she went into standing and when she came out.

This heat is super subtle, I don't think if I didn't have boy dogs I would have noticed that much. She's a little swollen and about a weak ago she bled a tiny bit (I noticed when she got off her stool). I put a diaper on her and a bad and since then there has been little to no discharge at all. She's still just a little swollen and while Traveler and Fergus are interested it's not over the top.

Is that common for heats to be that different?
Old 05-18-2014, 03:04 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Mira's have all been the same. But then I am also working off a sample size of...one.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Silence, peasants.

I don't know about heats varying, but I know Feist's first heat was super, super discreet like you're describing. I was keeping tabs on it and she was under house arrest, but I only really realized how far along she was (she was keeping herself very clean, and only swelled a tiny bit) when she started flirting/ bumping her butt up to Wesley/flagging (Wesley, bless his soul, was like 'whaaa?' PLAYBOW RUN AWAY!!!). So yeah, yay for barely there heats?

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Lord Cynical

That's how Poison has been. First one was awful second one was light and ended sooner than expected.

Bitches be crazy.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
orange iguanas.

I was told by Cajun's former owner that she hasn't gone into heat yet, but when my vet looked at her she kind of went ummmm she's quite a bit too "developed" to have never been in heat. So, best guess is that first heat just wasn't very exciting, and obviously I have nothing to compare it to BUT I'm willing to bet that won't be the case the second time around. Although I'd appreciate it very much if it were

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

IME, yes they can vary (pulling info from four different bitches). I always keep track of Cali's so I can go back and look at stuff. Do you keep a log of her cycle/S&S? I've been told that if it happens often or something seems off to get a check up (even more so if the bitch is going to be used for breeding).
Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yep IME they can vary too, especially in young dogs. Pepper wasn't very consistent until she was about four... now they are pretty consistent I've found.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

To semi hijack Linds thread. How has all of your girls been as far as moods while in heat? And does it change from heat to heat? Phoebes having her first one and OMG she was lovey before now shes insanely lovey and super smiley at everyone. Hopefully she doesn't freak the judges out next weekend with her smiling.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Kili's just finishing her first heat. She was obvious that she was coming in because she swelled huge (also very obvious because you know... no fur) but I didn't know when she was in estrus until I did a vaginal cytology because she never bled a drop. Shortly after I got the cytology I started to see her flagging if Summit sniffed at her butt.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Behavior Nerd

It really seems like it can vary for each dog, and split and silent heats do happen with some regularity.

Ziva and Aeri both had nearly silent first heats. Snipe's was full blown and obvious on all counts. Ziva was spayed after her first heat, so I don't know how the second would have gone, but for Aeri it was a split heat and Snipe's was about the same. The third heat for Aeri ended up 'normal' and the third for Snipe was a bit lighter.