Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 05-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Papillon Girl

I give my dogs a bath every three weeks . . . well I try to!
I think it would be cool to make your own shampoo. You could make your favorite sent and stuff like strawberries and bananas or oatmeal and vanilla the possibilities are endless!

Old 05-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Every 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. That can't be good for their coat and skin.... You might want to cut it back to maybe once every 2 months. I guess show dogs get bathed quite a bit but if you don't need to you should try your best to only bathe them if absolutely neccesary, or as I mentioned get a good spray that will enrich their scalp with the neccesary vitamins/minerals/oils etc.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Quigleyfied

Actually as long as you use a mild shampoo that doesn't strip the coat of protective oils, there's nothing wrong with washing a dog as often as it's needed.

The whole claim that dogs shouldn't be given a bath more often than once a month or even less (or it ruins their coat, blah, blah, blah) is just as silly as when people used to think that they shouldn't shower/bathe regularly because it's "unhealthy".

Shampoos made with natural detergents (e.g. coconut shampoo base etc.) and without harsh chemical ingredients can be used frequently and will not disrupt the skin balance in any way, unlike the harsh soaps and shampoos of the past. You don't need to use any spray products after bathing either. True skin nourishment comes from the inside anyway.

One thing a lot of people also don't take into consideration is that being "dirty" today has a completely different meaning than for example 50 years ago. There is so much more pollution now, both from above (air, rain) and below (car tires abrading on asphalt, dust binding pollutants and settling etc.) and dogs generally are lower to the ground than people, they can't change their clothes every day, so they are much more exposed to it.

Taking my own dog for example, he currently gets a bath once a week since both his obedience and agility classes are at a public park in a huge city, in areas where other dogs pee and poop, it's hot, and there's no denying he picks up a yucky smell from that. I rinse his feet with plain water every time after we exercise (walking, biking, rollerblading), but on Thursdays after agility class I shampoo him down.

His skin has truly benefitted from this and the frequency certainly doesn't harm. The key is finding a product that works, which might take a little experimenting. I've been through ones that were ok on the skin but left the coat too "oily", some that made the coat nice but were too drying on the skin and so on.

Brattina, I don't know of any books about shampoos etc. specifically, but you can research individual ingredients on the internet pretty well. Not all chemicals in shampoos are harmful and some products contain certain ones to have specific functions if they are made to be hypoallergenic. Parabens for example are generally well tolerated unless an individual is allergic/sensitive to them, and they are preservatives, so quantities are rather small. If a product is otherwise okay, I wouldn't pass it up just because it contains parabens, but if a product contains many chemicals, especially alcohol, I won't buy it.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
and Fozzie B!

I use Pearls Au Lait Milk Bath, it smells sooo good, it has safe ingredients and it makes their coats super soft! I use that usually once a month, and a softer organic oatmeal shampoo or Lambert Kay for weekly baths. My pups are out a lot, swim in the lake a lot, dig, etc... so they get a bath every week. Their coats are beautiful, too :0)

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Papillon Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
Every 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. That can't be good for their coat and skin.... You might want to cut it back to maybe once every 2 months. I guess show dogs get bathed quite a bit but if you don't need to you should try your best to only bathe them if absolutely neccesary, or as I mentioned get a good spray that will enrich their scalp with the neccesary vitamins/minerals/oils etc.
I normally use a organic shampoo that is good for there skin, it also comes with a lotion type thing. I would never use a strong shampoo three times a week!

Old 05-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

wow. Someone else that knows their shampoo's! thanks mordy..

Btw, I work for a pet products company. So I'm not going to sit here and promote our products. But I can tell you that Biogroom is NOT the best.

Look for a product that says on their label that it is naturally soap and detergent free. Oh and most shampoo's that are natural can be diluted so they last longer. If you get a good shampoo it will last longer and it will not strip your dogs coat so you can use it as often as you like.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner

Hm.

*Grabs my bottle of shampoo and makes sure its all good*

Heh. I bathe my dog every week. My mom would flip otherwise.

"YOUR DOG STINKS! GIVE IT A BATH! YOU'RE SO LAZY! blah blah"

One black morning
When this life is over
I know, I'll see your face.
I'm Sorry.
Janga RIP Jan 22 2006

Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Talk to the Paw!

I use Mane 'n' Tail shampoo and conditioner. It makes coats soft, fluffy, shiny. It's mild and gentle and smells clean. Good for human hair too!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

I use Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo that the Vet gave me when Kai was a puppy and having skin problems on her head. Both my dogs use it know and they get bathed every 2 weeks unless it's needed sooner (rolling in poop, etc).

Alot of the skin condition (ie how healthy they look) is dependent on what you feed them and what type of nutrition they are getting from their diet.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Active Pup

Wink

I get my dogs professionally groomed at Petsmart every 6 weeks. In between, I brush them weekly and if they seem really dirty, I use this no water needed grooming product (Minute Groom) and Groomax finishing spray. This seems to do the trick. My groomer says I take really good care of their hair. They are Shih Tzus so that is not easy to do.