Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Kristina

http://www.smh.com.au/world/video-ca...515-zrd4o.html

Here is a newspaper article with a few more details.

Dog was a 8 month old lab-chow mix, who is currently quarantined and scheduled to be euthanized afterwards.
The owners say "he doesn't like kids or bicycles"

Personally, I definitely think that dog is just wired wrong, to be causing such damage at 8 months of age
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 PM
such sights to show you

He doesn't like kids or bicycles, so naturally we let him roam freely in a neighborhood with at least one kid who has a push-bike. :/

Don't get me wrong, that dog is unsafe. But come on, you dumb-a$$ dog- owning neighbors, really? REALLY?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Obey the Toad.

It looks to me like a combination of prey drive and screw loose. Yes, that dog should definately be euthed--what a horrible situaltion for everyone involved. In the meantime, I'm going to show this to my husband as proof that all cats are not evil....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Highbread Dingbat

Someone in a group I follow pointed out that the dog zoned in on the kid before even seeing him.
There's not really any sound so I wonder if the bike was making some sort of squeaking to set him off?
Tragic story for the pup, glad the kid is alright, and I' m still impressed by that cat!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
In many jurisdictions it is illegal to euthanize a dog within 10 days of a bite and quarantine is mandatory for that 10 day period. It doesn't mean the dog won't be euthanized or that it's even in its own home.

The dog isn't safe and it should be euthanized, but man I've seen some nasty hateful comments floating around (not here) about what kinds of tortures should be inflicted on it that make me a little sad. I mean, holy scary prey driven unsafe dog, but it's not the devil.

And really, the armchair quarterbacking the mom's reaction makes me a little sad, too. I mean, can we please not lose sight of the fact that the real point here is that the cat is a complete and total badass?!
This.

A dog killed a 4 year old girl in my town a few years back. The dog was held in quarantine (at a vet clinic) for 10 days before being euthanized. Standard practice, apparently.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 PM
treehugging clicker freak

The first time I saw this video, I did not read anything before I watched it. It gave me chills. First that the attack was totally unprovoked.... I, too, have seen a truly unprovoked attack only one time and it is truly very very scary.

But then the cat.... I was totally impressed. I'm not a huge cat person, and yet that was awesome

I also wasn't sure why the mom walked away from the boy... But no judgements here! You have no idea how you are going to react in situations like this, because you don't think, you just react. Adrenalin and movement, you stop and think about it later.

I was going to chime in and say "agreed" about the quarantine being common practice.
Sad and scary for all involved

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 05-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad it's quarantined, the story I read said the dog was under watch.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Big Dog

I can't watch the video from my computer, but watching the GIF, my guess is that the dog saw the bike from under the vehicle and keyed WAY into prey drive before even seeing the kid (other than just his feet moving around the tires, and even some sane dogs go tire bonkers,) and his mind was just gone from seeing that. Probably a combination of bad genes and bad owners (obviously, since he was loose to do this,) and not something I would trust to be able to rehabilitate.

Not to get on the BSL media-hype soap box, but how many reports of this are making a point to call the dog a Labrador mix? None?

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Not to get on the BSL media-hype soap box, but how many reports of this are making a point to call the dog a Labrador mix? None?
None. Some of the comments on the story went into pitbull rants, because, obviously, that had to be a pitbull. I heard on the news the dog was euthanized but maybe I missed the 10 day waiting period (or the reporter did).

Awesome ninja kitty!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Active Pup

Around here there was a dog bit incident and the dogs (there was a family of them) had to be quarantined at home for 10 days and Leo (my dog) had to be quarantined as well. Leo was in the house at the time of the incident and it happened at a neighbors house, but I think since Leo is in the bully family they had him quarantined too??

Anyhow, I'm sure it's different when the dog bites a child. I would hope so at least. If the owner lacked common sense enough to allow a dog who didn't like bicycles or kids (wouldn't that be the obvious thing to say after the dog goes after a kid on a bike...) to roam the neighborhood, I doubt they would keep them on leash in the backyard during quarantine.