Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Twin 2

Default People who bike, hike, run, skate with your dogs

For those that run, or bike, or hike, or skate with your dogs:

How far do you normally go?
How often?
What are your favorite places to go (pictures encouraged!)?
How do you do it? IE: Are they pulling you? Running next to you? Long line? Off leash? Etc
Old 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm All Ears

I like to hike with the dogs but sadly Mia just can't right now. It's really hard on us both.

We used to go 5-7 miles 3 or so times a week.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

I hike my dogs probably 2 - 4 days a week during the spring/summer/fall. Winter is probably twice a week; maybe even once if it is particularly bad weather.

Depending on the day and weather, I have "loops" from about 3 miles to about 8 miles. All are off leash. I have three usual spots.

1) A state park about 20 minutes from my house. You have to pay Memorial Day - Columbus Day, and the beach is on-leash only during that time, so it is mostly an "off-season" spot for me. Quick 1/2 mile trail down to the beach, or about a 3 mile loop the long way on either side (hits over 7 miles if I do the whole outer loop). LOTS of uphill, but the views are great.

2) The reservoir that is about 3 minutes from my house is probably our most-used spot. Great swimming spot for dogs and humans, with a very well established trail of maybe 1.5 miles around the edge. Off the main trail is a huge network of trails where I inevitably get lost, but adore. I have regular 2.5 mile, 3.5 mile, and 7+ mile loops there, depending on the weather and how much time I have. The outer trails have a few great look out spots if you don't mind climbing. I will break them up by looping down to the water more when it is hot. Or I get really lazy, bring a book, and camp out on a rock reading while the dogs swim!

3) Fairly newly discovered (this winter) is a network of trails off a high school nearby. Great trails with great footing (way less hilly, which was nice with the ice this winter), but holy scary coyotes nearby. I will not go alone or during dusk/dawn. Often hit it on the weekends with a friend mid-day. No pictures from that one yet. And it really isn't so picturesque.

Our #4 is going hacking with Tristan; the barn has about 70 acres of hay meadows behind it, and Gusto loves going out with me and the horse. Meg generally will do one loop of the field with us, then just hang out near the path back to the barn. Gusto will go as long as I will!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I'm a hiker!

What I do with, how long, and what I use is dependent on each dog(and where we are going).

Muffin currently does short(30min-1hr) flat walks 2-3x/week. He walks off-leash, but I always bring a reg 6ft one if I need it. It looks like Keeda may be able to start joining is again soon!!!! So much YAY! She walks on a long line bc WAY too much prey drive to be off leash.

Speckles would do the short walks with Muffin, plus around town with a backpack, and then on weekends we would do 5-10 miles depending on the trail & often up & down a mountain plus we did a camping hike. For those longer ones if she didn't carry her pack I would put the pack's harness on. She'd hike off leash until we hit ridge line and then I'll leash the harness incase she fell. I would bring a 6ft leash and a 10ft tieout. She also biked in a comfortflex and walky-dog during the week.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
For those that run, or bike, or hike, or skate with your dogs:

Harlow bikes with me. Our hiking around here is pretty lame. Lol. We do run 1-2x a week with them at the dog park I work at. Right now we are going about 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I will take my camera out with me soon.

How far do you normally go?
Bike 4-6 miles

How often?
2-3x/week

What are your favorite places to go (pictures encouraged!)?
A local gravel trail. Will get some pictures as soon as new harnesses come in!

How do you do it? IE: Are they pulling you? Running next to you? Long line? Off leash? Etc
Depends on how busy the trail is, whether we are on or off leash. I just had a custom biothane long line made for biking; have yet to give it a shot. In the past, she has ran beside, but this year we are working on her pulling more. Last bike ride she pulled me 3 miles before trotting beside me. Hoping to build that back up to what we were doing last year.
Answers in bold. Will try to get some photos soon.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 05-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

We jog off leash at the conservation. We go anywhere from 3-5 km a few times a week. But we are sadly out of shape right now with Kili in season. Just waiting for her to go into diestrus so we can jog again!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Fishies!

Buster is currently limited to about a mile at 5 am when no dogs are out. He messed up his leg jumping to the deck. He's done 3 mi 2x a day before with rollerblades (first half was a run, second half more of a trot).

Ruby is heat limited. Shes done 10 mi, off leash, while I was on a mountain bike. I only did 6. A typical walk could be 3-5 mi.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Active Pup

Meepitsmeagan and I have gone out biking with the dogs a few times. Leo, who is usually far too gentle, pulls me when he is with Harlow. If we are solo I only take him 2-3 miles right now... it was a hard, long winter and he's almost 8 now so I'm starting him slower. If he's off leash I'm more willing to go further. Last time we went with Meagan and Harlow he pulled me almost the entire 4 or 5 miles and only really started slowing down the last half mile.

I only go 2-3 times a week right now after work, but once I get my canadog harness our number of outings and distances will likely change. I'm thinking he will be able to perform much better with the proper equipment.

Also, we made a nifty contraption out of chain, bungee, a caribeaner, and vacuum hose to keep the leash from getting into the tire when it goes slack.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

I hike. We usually go a mile or two. I have a buggered up foot, so we're limited by my gimpiness until I can get in somewhere to find out what the heck I've done to myself
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

We hike a good bit, mostly on leash or long lines, since Rhys is so reactive/DA. Usually we only get one good 5 mile hike in a week with my work schedule. We walk everyday but that's not the same.

I am working Rhys up to biking, so it's very short distances. He's not allowed to pull. I am saving up to buy a mountain bike (currently using my road bike) to take him on trails. The road bike is so light and fast it's very difficult to have a dog keep pace with at a natural trot.