Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I'm not helpful, either. I bought Abrams with my graduation money when I was broke, on my own, living in a two room apartment, and knew a huge lifestyle change was in my future. It worked out perfectly.

But for me, anyway, I just go with my gut. I recently had an opportunity to adopt an American Bulldog puppy and was SO CLOSE to getting her...but my gut kept screaming "now is not the time". So I didn't get her. When it feels right...I just go with it. If it doesn't feel right, I reevaluate.
This too - I literally had like $400 to my name when I got Jackson. I paid $550 for him and asked my grandpa for the extra money as a Christmas present. Talk about stupid. But, hey, it just worked itself out.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
This too - I literally had like $400 to my name when I got Jackson. I paid $550 for him and asked my grandpa for the extra money as a Christmas present. Talk about stupid. But, hey, it just worked itself out.
Abrams was $1,000...and that was more than I had in my checking and savings combined. LOL But, he was a purchase that I didn't want to skimp on and I didn't feel at all guilty buying him. Still don't.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:53 PM
such sights to show you

Yea pretty much after moving out of my parents' house, as soon as I lived somewhere I could have a dog I had a dog.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

I'm no help, I got Trent when I was 15 years old, the moment that I had permission to bring a dog into the household. I definitely knew that there would be a lot of complications once I went into college, but honestly my #1 priority was just to get a dog. I told myself that I'd cross those bridges when I got there, and in my case it ended up being okay. I did know I'd have options, of course. Was it the best time to get a dog? Nope. But was it a decision I'm glad I made? Yes, absolutely, and without a doubt. In high school I did have the time to take care of a dog, though admittedly underestimated how much work it would be to do it right.

When my dog had to stay with my parents for my first few years of college, it was difficult for me. Even recently, I had a few things going on that meant me asking my mother to watch Trent for me for a few weeks (moving and several instances of me getting very sick on top of everything else). I've realized that I am not happy without a dog and nothing can really take place of having a dog in my life. So yeah, I'm definitely glad I decided to get one all those years ago.

Now, I'm in a pretty similar situation as you. I'll also be graduating soon (well, in a year), and am hoping to go to grad school. That might mean me moving all the way across the country, depending on where I get into. But I know I'll always be able to make time for my dog(s), and dogs handle moves just fine. Or, I might take a year off to work or find an internship. Some big uncertainties at this point, so yeah, I have to think that all out and figure out how I want to plan it. It's not going to be the best timing, but like you I also have a potential puppy that I'd really like. If I think things through and feel like I can make it work, it's going to be a possibility.

Because yeah, I'm not going to wait until I'm all settled down in a house of my own and two kids LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I know my life is so up in the air right now, that I worry so much about adding a 2nd and screwing things up. Which is why Jackson is 5 1/2 and I still only have him
Yep, this is definitely me. Right down to having a 5-ish year old dog.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Silence, peasants.

Well, I basically went with the well informed, well thought out 'as soon as I'm allowed to get a dog, I'm getting one.' method. No really, I did put thought into it. I raised the money to pay for Feist and to cover her food/vet care/whatever else she needs, I researched carefully and talked to breeders for over a year and a half before I even got her, went out and met a bunch of border collies at a sheepdog trial, etc.

Basically, I really wanted a dog and I know there are going to be things I'll 'miss out on' because I got a dog when I was seventeen, but I can't imagine regretting Feist. I'm kind of a dork that enjoys spending a lot of time alone with my dog, I don't think I'm going to miss partying it down on the college scene. I am so much happier in general since I got her, and whatever problems I'll have to deal with, I'll deal with them. So, my life is pretty much completely up in the air and crazy, and I made the decision to get her anyway. Ask me in five years how good of an idea that was.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I completely thought through the dog thing and waited until I was out of college for 6 years before getting Watson. I spent the first few years after school traveling for work a couple times a month, and DH wasn't willing to take on all of that responsibility by himself while I was gone. Once I left that job I was unemployed for a bit, and we were still living in no pet housing (though the landlord did agree to bunnies). As soon as we moved into our house I started looking for a puppy and brought one home about a year later (my breed is rare and it's not always easy to find puppies). What can I say, I'm a planner by nature! I'm not one to do things impulsively and I wanted to be in the absolute best position when I got my pup. My husband is also a planner and wouldn't have appreciated if I just came home with a dog. My family dogs passed away while I was in college, so I always had dogs growing up and got to see them on breaks in college. I would have been much more antsy about getting a dog of my own if I didn't have family dogs around.

As far as breeder vs rescue, I can't really help you there. The cost of a dog from a breeder is such a drop in the bucket compared to caring for the dog over its lifetime. And since I'm a planner, I want some idea of what my puppy will grow into. I wouldn't be opposed to an older rescue, but for a puppy I'm more comfortable with a good breeder.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Blonde Raccoon

I'm no help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Well, I basically went with the well informed, well thought out 'as soon as I'm allowed to get a dog, I'm getting one.' method. No really, I did put thought into it. I raised the money to pay for Feist and to cover her food/vet care/whatever else she needs, I researched carefully and talked to breeders for over a year and a half before I even got her, went out and met a bunch of border collies at a sheepdog trial, etc.
This essentially, except replace sheepdog trial with agility trial.

I got Paris in the second half of my final semester of university .. and I pretty much planned for her during my entire undergrad. I joke that she's my graduation present to myself, but there was obviously a lot more to it than that! It only really sucked during my final hell week (studying for finals for credits that I NEED to graduate with a crazy eight week old puppy jumping on me ), but once I powered through that it ended up being the best timing ever. I got all of the crazy partying and studying abroad and backpacking through Europe stuff out of the way, and now I have a lot more time to spend with Paris which is awesome. She makes me so happy.

I got Seamus when I was fifteen and, though he's mine, he's sort of a family effort. Paris is my first breeder dog that is all my effort and responsibility and stuff.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

I got "my" dog Jack my junior or senior year of high school....and then moved away for college. Totally wrong timing and as much as I love him, it probably wasn't fair. He has a good life with my parents but he's always been MY dog. He gets SO HAPPY to see me, and is devastated every time I leave. After 8 years of me coming & going he's finally getting better about it. I always planned to take him when I was ready for a dog--and I tried but it didn't work out. He doesn't do well with change and even though he was finally with me, he wasn't happy. So he's with my parents and I'm constantly told by them and extended family how awful I am for replacing Jack with Crossbone, blah blah blah.

I waited to get Crossbone until I had a career, husband & house...which I am happy for. Even though it was painful going 8 years without a dog.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 05-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the comments, everyone! It has been interesting to read when everyone got their first dogs.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

The first thing I did when moved out in my early 20's was get a dog. It was a disaster. I was not ready financially, and I was in a REALLY bad/negative relationship. I feel like if I had been afforded the opportunity to have one as a kid, I probably would not have made the decision to get one when I wasn't ready. I was naive, I had already waited my entire childhood and I was NOT going to wait one second longer. In the end, I left the person I was in a relationship with and the dog found a new home. I miss her more and more as the years go by.

I grew up, learned about myself, learned how to manage money and became financially stable. I still don't have a dog. Now we are waiting until after the wedding, and I think even then we will wait a while so we get used to living together. It feels like I will always be waiting.

BUT my advice is wait. Wait until you have the space, and the money. Yeah, it feels like you will wait forever, but I am SURE that the result of waiting will be worth it.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler

Last edited by SoCrafty; 05-16-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: ugh. typos