Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Default I want a Eurasier

badly...

I joined a facebook group and have been looking at the photos for a week now and probably could have filled up a bathtub with the amount of drooling I've been doing.

I posted to the group and a good 15 or 20 people responded and told me all about their dogs and the dogs sound just amazing, not to mention the people have been hugely generous to answer my questions. A woman in my local area even said that I could meet her dogs sometime - I hope I can take her up on that offer.

But alas, I'm not in a position to get any dog right now. Those of you that are young, how did you decide that it was the right time to get a dog? I KNOW that now is not the time, but I'll be graduating soon and I don't see myself waiting until I'm all settled in a house of my own (because goodness knows how many years that will be from now). But then life still seems so up in the air right now and I don't see that changing soon.

Also, how do you take the leap to make the shift from rescue to breeder? I've only ever rescued - I have nothing against good breeders, but I don't know that I'll find the gumption to put aside my "save a dog" mentality and get a breed that I LOVE but (almost) never shows up in rescue. I also know that it'll be a struggle to hand over $1,500 if that day ever comes when I know that I could walk into a shelter and leave with a new best friend for $25. [no need to educate me on the whole "proactive" vs "retroactive" spending thing with regard to buying a dog whose parents are health tested... I get it, it's easy to rationalize, but still hard to accept].

But, but, but, I WANT A EURASIER NOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

(photo taken from google)

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Kristina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
But alas, I'm not in a position to get any dog right now. Those of you that are young, how did you decide that it was the right time to get a dog? I KNOW that now is not the time, but I'll be graduating soon and I don't see myself waiting until I'm all settled in a house of my own (because goodness knows how many years that will be from now). But then life still seems so up in the air right now and I don't see that changing soon.
I got Leo my last year of grad school/first year of working. The deciding factor for me was that this year for the first time I have roommates who really love dogs and are willing to hang out with Leo and take care of him when I am out of town. If I had my current living situation a few years ago, I totally would have gotten a dog earlier.

Yes, I work long hours (generally out of the house from 7-4) but because my housemates are around at different times from me and they actually take him out and play with him, he doesn't have to be cooped up all day. Next year, we are moving to a duplex, so we will have a backyard and it will be even better.

So yeah, for me, it was definitely the support system. Even though I do 90-95% of everything with Leo, I have people to fall back on if I need help.
In my opinion, owning a dog in college is totally doable. In fact, I almost think it is easier, because you take classes at various times and therefore aren't out of the house for one long block of time (or at least I never was).

It also depends on the area you live in though. In my town, there is a pretty decent amount of dog friendly apartments, so I would always have somewhere to fall back on if a housing situation fell through. I did have to search for a long time to find the dog-friendly duplex, but there is always that backup plan.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Uh.. I'm not helpful. I've always wanted a dog. So when I moved out, I got a dog

But Gwen was from a shelter and not a 'puppy'. I would not get a puppy now and I'm glad I didn't end up with one when we were looking for a dog. I'm pretty determined when I want something. I wanted a dog so the SO grudgingly went to the shelter with me and picked out Gwen.

I think we could have waited and prepared more, but I don't' think there's really a 'right' time.

The money issue I totally get. SO still can't wrap his head around the idea of spending hundreds, let alone a thousand on a DOG. I've explained it to him and he kind of 'gets' it but not enough to fork over the money.

I will say moving with a dog, especially one over...20lbs is really difficult in my area. I'm not sure about your area but generally it is hard to find decent housing with a medium+ size dog.

Barring crazy circumstances and financial issues... I would get a dog!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

I'm not helpful. I got my first "own" dog at 14 and then got my first dog from a breeder at 18. (still had my first dog, of course, lol)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

Uh ya I moved out I got a puppy lol, it ultimately broke up my relationship (among other things, but he blamed the puppy) and I knew I couldn't stay with someone who never wanted dogs...had her for another 16 years. I was making like 8 bucks an hour and paid 1200 for her...still not of much help lol.

Ps...get a puppy
Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm not helpful, either. I bought Abrams with my graduation money when I was broke, on my own, living in a two room apartment, and knew a huge lifestyle change was in my future. It worked out perfectly.

But for me, anyway, I just go with my gut. I recently had an opportunity to adopt an American Bulldog puppy and was SO CLOSE to getting her...but my gut kept screaming "now is not the time". So I didn't get her. When it feels right...I just go with it. If it doesn't feel right, I reevaluate.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

I got Summit in my fifth year of University. I got an older, low energy breed but I did have classmates who got puppies. The money issue was less of a factor since I got a discount at school and we had a food program. Deciding to get Kili... I knew I wanted a second and felt like we were okay to do it financially (again, being a vet makes the bills easier... so did having insurance because Kili ended up being a nearly 10 thousand dollar puppy).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

I bought Dance as I was nearing 17 and Journey after just turning 22. Sometimes I think life would have been easier if I had waited, as when I do think of returning to school, I think about the dogs and how I don't know how I would afford living with them on my own (and finding a place that would allow them) if I moved out of province to go to school. But my life would also completely suck without them. Dog hobbies are what I do outside of work and for fun. They are my outlet. If i didn't have them, I wouldn't have the friends that I have and I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I am one of those people that needs a dog in their life, so for me, buying my two dogs young has been more than worth it. And if I one day decide to go to school out of province, I will find a way to do so with them in tow.

As for rescue vs. breeder, I have done both, but I can't really help with your question unfortunately. I love the idea of adopting a dog, but I haven't had the most pleasant rescue experiences and vastly prefer buying from a great breeder myself. Even with the price tag, which is not ideal, but worth it to me.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

You all are no help! I so wish I didn't deliberate so much over things. It's probably good that I'm doing it right now - but I'm hoping that it starts to settle as I enter into a position where I really could get a dog and make it work. The issue is, that if my past history suggests anything, I will continue to deliberate until the day the dog comes home. Can someone just place a eurasier puppy on my doorstep? Then I'd have to keep it.

(I'd also take a greyhound... or a bernese mountain dog... or an english shepherd... or a newfie... or a spinone italiano... just for reference.)

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
I bought Dance as I was nearing 17 and Journey after just turning 22. Sometimes I think life would have been easier if I had waited, as when I do think of returning to school, I think about the dogs and how I don't know how I would afford living with them on my own (and finding a place that would allow them) if I moved out of province to go to school. But my life would also completely suck without them. Dog hobbies are what I do outside of work and for fun. They are my outlet. If i didn't have them, I wouldn't have the friends that I have and I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I am one of those people that needs a dog in their life, so for me, buying my two dogs young has been more than worth it. And if I one day decide to go to school out of province, I will find a way to do so with them in tow.

As for rescue vs. breeder, I have done both, but I can't really help with your question unfortunately. I love the idea of adopting a dog, but I haven't had the most pleasant rescue experiences and vastly prefer buying from a great breeder myself. Even with the price tag, which is not ideal, but worth it to me.
This. I think of stuff like this and I only have one dog.

I got Jackson when I was 18, now am 23, and it wasn't really thought out at ALL - overall, yes, there are a lot of things that I probably miss out on because I have him ... but it's by choice, really, I love him so much and we're so close, and so many of my hobbies and interests have changed because of him and so much of my world revolves around him that I can't even imagine him not being here.

I kind of wish sometimes I could just go back to being naive and just... go get a 2nd dog, but since I now know what I like in a dog, and I know my limits and I know my life is so up in the air right now, that I worry so much about adding a 2nd and screwing things up. Which is why Jackson is 5 1/2 and I still only have him

But basically, it was overall probably a stupid idea to get a dog when I was 18, fresh out of high school, first semester at community college, but he has improved my life so much. Most of my friends went away to school and he gave me something to "do" and have a new responsibility and I met so many good people through him and he's my little dude. I never knew I could love a dog so much. So even though 'on paper' I probably looked like I'd be a horrible dog owner..... 18, living at home, community college, no idea where or what I was going to be doing in life, it's been nice to be able to share it with Jackson, and he will be a part of me no matter what I do or what I'm going through. He will be there through all of my life's changes WITH me.

And honestly, I have gotten to spend so much time with him and put so much energy and effort into him because I am young, and I don't work full-time yet, and raising a puppy is easier when you've got the time and energy that's for sure! lol.. so in a lot of ways, being young can be the best time to add a dog if you're up for it and responsible enough (which clearly you are). I mean really... your life can change at any point in your life. I've met enough unstable 40-some year olds to know that life can change in an instant... so if you wait around forever waiting for the "right" time, it'll never happen...