Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I delivered pizza five nights a week for three years. In Florida, land of the 'yard dogs'. I traipsed through yards and knocked on the wrong doors plenty of times, had many many dogs run up and NEVER once did I ever wish I had a weapon for any loose dog that approached me. I think there were two dogs (contained, chained or in the yard) EVER that worried me if they were to get off the chain or over the fence. One time I drove up to a house, a large Dane was standing at eye level with me in my car, a little hackly and sort of giving me the stink eye and barking. You know what I did? I called the homeowner from my car, rather than risking my safety in a situation I was unsure of. Because just like the police do, I had their number. Also, the Dane settled and was fine with me when the homeowner came out and took control.
I think that is the biggest part for me. I have always had dogs that were "watch dogs". They bark and put up a show when we aren't around (and Blackie would have reacted to threatening behavior towards any of us), but as soon as they are given the "okay", they calm down and are perfectly friendly.

If someone walks up to the door/yard/what have you with Abrams loose, he will charge and bark. He would never offer to bite, and if he either a.) knows the person or b.) I'm present, he turns into a mushball when he greets said person. I would be....murderous if an officer shot him because "they felt threatened". I mean...I can't even imagine.

Dogs are protective of their home. Most dogs don't do more than look scary and bark. And for the few that you are worried about, call the **** owner. They'll come collect their dog. If they don't, grab a catch pole, grow some balls, and detain the dog. I started working at a dog kennel when I was 15 years old and handling aggressive dogs was a part of that. I survived. And of those "aggressive dogs", I can count on one hand the number that truly scared me and would have done more than a quick flesh bite had they gotten a hold of me. And I couldn't shoot them, I had to, you know, handle the situation like a sane person.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:59 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I think that is the biggest part for me. I have always had dogs that were "watch dogs". They bark and put up a show when we aren't around (and Blackie would have reacted to threatening behavior towards any of us), but as soon as they are given the "okay", they calm down and are perfectly friendly.

If someone walks up to the door/yard/what have you with Abrams loose, he will charge and bark. He would never offer to bite, and if he either a.) knows the person or b.) I'm present, he turns into a mushball when he greets said person. I would be....murderous if an officer shot him because "they felt threatened". I mean...I can't even imagine.

Dogs are protective of their home. Most dogs don't do more than look scary and bark. And for the few that you are worried about, call the **** owner. They'll come collect their dog. If they don't, grab a catch pole, grow some balls, and detain the dog. I started working at a dog kennel when I was 15 years old and handling aggressive dogs was a part of that. I survived. And of those "aggressive dogs", I can count on one hand the number that truly scared me and would have done more than a quick flesh bite had they gotten a hold of me. And I couldn't shoot them, I had to, you know, handle the situation like a sane person.
Mine will also bark and "run at" people when they come up to the gate, especially Yumi, my parent's GSD/husky mix. But its a ruse because she is the biggest coward that every lived and as soon as the person gets out of their car she is high tailing it to hide :/.

I guess that's my other vent, Just LET ME KNOW and I will gladly put my dogs in so the police can search my property (Hey ... I don't want my dogs out with a potentially dangerous criminal either!), but its probably safe to assume that a criminal wouldn't hide in a yard with dogs anyway, too much attention would be drawn to him.

This Pig claimed that he worked for the SPCA, but claimed he didn't know if the dog was being aggressive or not? I think that was an excuse so he could shoot the dog.

My local news did a story about this, and how the guy is facing public ridicule, how businesses are refusing to serve him and how people call him out on the scum he is when he is out in public. Whether he serves jail time our not, I hope the social ramifications if his stunt are everlasting wherever he goes. Its already all over facebook and the internet what a sorry excuse for a human being he is. He deserves everything that's coming to him IMHO.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Big Dog

The thing that really gets me is this guys lack of compassion in my view. His comments in the entire article sound like they were trumped up to try and make him sound more sympathetic about the situation, but they just sound fake to me. Because, you know, if I had just shot someone's dog in the head my first response would be to apologize, not spew out "Partner, you're about to be upset, but your dog charged me and I had to shoot it".
Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

I haven't followed this much, but on the little I do know I think it would be different had this been an emergency call. I give a little more leeway in regards to those. Like a frantic 911 call was made and someone was in the house and the officers are responding blindly. I'd hope they aren't waiting for AC to come take care of a barking dog.

But this appears to be an officer coming out to confirm a robbery took place and was coming out hours after the call. He should have stayed in his **** car and yelled out his window or something if he was that afraid of the dog. Step out of your car but stay behind the door and yell to the owners. IF the dog charges, you jump back in your squad car and shut the door. Or you just leave and tell them you'll come make a report when they lock their dog up.

That said, if the owners know someone is coming out, why is your dog able to jump out of a truck window and go after him?

again, the dog pays in the end.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I

That said, if the owners know someone is coming out, why is your dog able to jump out of a truck window and go after him?

again, the dog pays in the end.

It was in the bed of a pickup truck. And the cops didn't come out until 3 hours later. This was a 'farm dog' ... I know the type as we live in the 'country' where dogs often are loose. I don't see why they should need to lock up their dog for 3+ hours waiting for them. But also, they probably just never in a million years thought something would happen like this -- as their dog was friendly.

It's not something I would think about had it not been for all the press and stories lately of these horrible stories. Jackson is little but WILL bark and charge at people coming in our door. If I'm there, once I tell him to stop, he will, but I can only imagine how he would act if a police officer came in when I wasn't there. But he's a perfectly good canine citizen out in public, never caused any problems, never attacked/bit/growled at anyone, etc, but he'd be liable to get shot with the way he acts initially when someone comes on our property.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
It was in the bed of a pickup truck. And the cops didn't come out until 3 hours later. This was a 'farm dog' ... I know the type as we live in the 'country' where dogs often are loose. I don't see why they should need to lock up their dog for 3+ hours waiting for them. But also, they probably just never in a million years thought something would happen like this -- as their dog was friendly.
Exactly... this poor guy had probably grown up on a farm that kept dogs loose on the property, friends and neighbours kept dogs loose on the property. Just a normal part of going to someone else's place would be some dogs running around barking. At least that's how it's been in the rural areas I've been to. Probably didn't cross his mind that it would be an issue because it's been a normal part of life to him.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I grew up rural too. I knew every farm house who's dogs would chase me on my bike and all that too. And if they knew people were coming g over, they'd lock up the ones that would make trouble. If you're showing up unannounced you took your chances

Anyway, I didnt excuse the officers actions at all, but I guess you're right. No steps should be taken by the owner when calling a stranger with a gun and you own a dog with a propensity to charge and bark.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

Please, no one's saying it isn't prudent to lock up dogs. You didn't excuse the officer but you seem to blame the owner, and asked why the dog wasn't properly contained... I think the reason it wasn't is that loose dogs are a routine part of everyday life in his community. Given his life experiences thus far I guess he wasn't cynical enough to think there's a decent chance that someone would see the dog, get out of their car and then feel so threatened by it that they'd shoot it. That's not at all normal, probably not something he'd seen or heard of happening, and so he didn't anticipate it.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I grew up rural too. I knew every farm house who's dogs would chase me on my bike and all that too. And if they knew people were coming g over, they'd lock up the ones that would make trouble. If you're showing up unannounced you took your chances

Anyway, I didnt excuse the officers actions at all, but I guess you're right. No steps should be taken by the owner when calling a stranger with a gun and you own a dog with a propensity to charge and bark.
I just ask why the officer shot the dog when the dog was obviously friendly enough to let someone rob the property.

If I was the one to answer that call, I'd figure that if someone could rob the house I could probably get out of my car with my gun holstered.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I guess he just wanted to shoot SOME THING and the dog was the drawer of the short stick