Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Default Police officer who shot cattle dog indicted

Thoughts?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Rains...258648881.html

RAINS COUNTY — A grand jury has indicted a former Rains County deputy on an animal cruelty charge over the controversial shooting of a family’s dog last month.
Jerrod Dooley, 32, has been charged with a state jail felony, punishable by up to two years behind bars. Dooley was fired last month within days of the shooting that sparked a national furor after the dog’s owner went public with his story.
"This is clearly a political knee jerk reaction by the DA in Rains County and there’s no chance that this case will stand up in court," said Pete Schulte, Dooleys' attorney. "It’s a legal impossibility because he was acting within the scope of his employment as a public servant. We look forward to our day in court.”
He added that he was told that he would be provided an opportunity to present information to the grand jury and he’s disappointed that didn't occur.
"They indicted him within two weeks," Schulte said. "That never happens."
In a tearful interview last month, Dooley tried to explain why he shot the 2-year-old blue heeler named Candy.

"I tried, but I didn't think I could get away from her," he said haltingly. “I told her to 'get back,' she wouldn't get back ... and I fired two shots."
Dooley described himself as a dog lover and said he previously worked for the SPCA.

On April 19, Dooley responded to a burglary call at a farm in Point, Texas. Middleton had called the sheriff’s department several hours earlier to report a break-in.
Dooley has said that when he first arrived, the dog wasn't acting aggressive, but that when he got out of his squad car the dog came at him and he had to shoot her.

Dash cam video shows Candy barking and then jumping out of the truck out of the camera’s view. The actual shooting isn't seen on the video.
The video shows Dooley telling Middleton that he shot the dog.
"Partner, you're about to be upset, but your dog charged me and I had to shoot it," he said.

"My God, no! No! No! No!" Middleton screams.

"Calm down! Calm down!" Dooley tells him.

Middleton has said that the bullet struck her in the back of her head and came out one of the dog’s eyes. He also said the dog wouldn't have survived so to relieve her suffering, he put her head in a bucket of water.
"I did the unimaginable, but it had to be done so she could go home," he told News 8 last month.

Candy’s death sparked a national furor after Middleton took to social media to tell his story and released a video. The video shows other officers mugging for the camera shortly after the shooting.
Dooley, who's a single father, said he and his son have received death threats.

“I can’t go to the grocery store without being recognized, pointed at, laughed at," Dooley said. "Can't pay my water bill without hearing my name, saying 'There's the sorry cop that killed the dog.'"
Dooley said during the interview that he wishes things had turned out differently.

“I hear her yelp every night before I go to bed,” he said. There's probably not a minute that goes by that I don't think about it. I'd give anything to walk up to him, hug his neck, try to make his pain go away. I know I'll never get that chance."

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Resident fainting goat

Good.

I've read just about enough stories about cops shooting dogs. This is about more than self-defense, you don't need a GUN to protect you from every dog and far too many obviously non-aggressive animals are being shot by untrained trigger happy idiots like this crying bafoon there need to be consequences.

It's about more than just dogs, it's about cops who are so **** trigger happy they don't even think before using their most powerful weapon to take a life. They go straight for the gun like it's their only option and it's wrong.

I'm so sick of reading stories of cops misusing their weapons. Kids, College students stranded and knocking on someone's door, unarmed people, dogs, family pets, family members...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

He shot that dog in his own home in the back of the head and left it to die with it's crying owners.

His job is to serve and protect and he did neither. Screw him.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

The thing that gets me is he didn't just shoot a dog for stupid reasons. He shot her, but refused to shoot her again to put her out of her misery. The bullet went into the back of her head and exited through her eye. She was left flopping around on the ground screaming in agony while the poor owner begged the cop to end it, and when he refused, the owner had to drown her in a bucket of water. THAT is worth jail time to me to say the least.

I hope this is the beginning of the end and cops will think twice before pointing guns at a barking dog.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 05-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
Thoughts?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Rains...258648881.html

RAINS COUNTY — A grand jury has indicted a former Rains County deputy on an animal cruelty charge over the controversial shooting of a family’s dog last month.
Jerrod Dooley, 32, has been charged with a state jail felony, punishable by up to two years behind bars. Dooley was fired last month within days of the shooting that sparked a national furor after the dog’s owner went public with his story.
"This is clearly a political knee jerk reaction by the DA in Rains County and there’s no chance that this case will stand up in court," said Pete Schulte, Dooleys' attorney. "It’s a legal impossibility because he was acting within the scope of his employment as a public servant. We look forward to our day in court.”
He added that he was told that he would be provided an opportunity to present information to the grand jury and he’s disappointed that didn't occur.
"They indicted him within two weeks," Schulte said. "That never happens."
In a tearful interview last month, Dooley tried to explain why he shot the 2-year-old blue heeler named Candy.

"I tried, but I didn't think I could get away from her," he said haltingly. “I told her to 'get back,' she wouldn't get back ... and I fired two shots."
Dooley described himself as a dog lover and said he previously worked for the SPCA.

On April 19, Dooley responded to a burglary call at a farm in Point, Texas. Middleton had called the sheriff’s department several hours earlier to report a break-in.
Dooley has said that when he first arrived, the dog wasn't acting aggressive, but that when he got out of his squad car the dog came at him and he had to shoot her.

Dash cam video shows Candy barking and then jumping out of the truck out of the camera’s view. The actual shooting isn't seen on the video.
The video shows Dooley telling Middleton that he shot the dog.
"Partner, you're about to be upset, but your dog charged me and I had to shoot it," he said.

"My God, no! No! No! No!" Middleton screams.

"Calm down! Calm down!" Dooley tells him.

Middleton has said that the bullet struck her in the back of her head and came out one of the dog’s eyes. He also said the dog wouldn't have survived so to relieve her suffering, he put her head in a bucket of water.
"I did the unimaginable, but it had to be done so she could go home," he told News 8 last month.

Candy’s death sparked a national furor after Middleton took to social media to tell his story and released a video. The video shows other officers mugging for the camera shortly after the shooting.
Dooley, who's a single father, said he and his son have received death threats.

“I can’t go to the grocery store without being recognized, pointed at, laughed at," Dooley said. "Can't pay my water bill without hearing my name, saying 'There's the sorry cop that killed the dog.'"
Dooley said during the interview that he wishes things had turned out differently.

“I hear her yelp every night before I go to bed,” he said. There's probably not a minute that goes by that I don't think about it. I'd give anything to walk up to him, hug his neck, try to make his pain go away. I know I'll never get that chance."

What was that again about how in conservative states a cop shooting a dog won't get what he deserves? We love our dogs here too, people. This is why If in have a burglary call I will be handling I it with on my own instead of calling the cops.

I am so glad he is being publicly ridiculed, he deserves it, the pig.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Good.

I've read just about enough stories about cops shooting dogs. This is about more than self-defense, you don't need a GUN to protect you from every dog and far too many obviously non-aggressive animals are being shot by untrained trigger happy idiots like this crying bafoon there need to be consequences.

It's about more than just dogs, it's about cops who are so **** trigger happy they don't even think before using their most powerful weapon to take a life. They go straight for the gun like it's their only option and it's wrong.

I'm so sick of reading stories of cops misusing their weapons. Kids, College students stranded and knocking on someone's door, unarmed people, dogs, family pets, family members...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

He shot that dog in his own home in the back of the head and left it to die with it's crying owners.

This. I mean....how many people have been charged by a dog? Even on here? I can't even Count the number of times I've been out walking my dogs and had another dog charge me. Did the dogs need shot? No. How many delivery men and women have to deal with charging dogs? And how many of these delivery people are shooting dogs? I mean, come on.

Just because a dog charges aggressively, unless it is a REALLY pissed off dog...is there no way to subdue it another way? Really? Like, I don't know...wait for the freaking owner to come collect their dog?

And like someone else said - if you're going to use your gun, use it correctly. Put the animal out of its misery after you botched the first shot.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Totally agree with Shakou and Fran.

It's not just about a dog dying.

It's about arrogant cops who feel that just because they signed up for a risky job they are entitled to protect themselves from any threat, no matter what the cost to the people they are supposed to serve and protect. I've been bitten by dogs, it's not nice. But 9/10 times it's not the end of the world when it's by a medium size dog and you're an able-bodied grown man in an upright position. If it's a bad bite, maybe you have to get some stitches, some antibiotics... deal with it. You aren't that important. You dont' get to neutralize every small potential threat with deadly force just because you're an authority figure. The rest of the population successfully deals with this stuff on a daily basis without using a gun, so can you.

This story is particularly asinine as the cop was responding to a ****ing home owner reported burglary. Not even an urgent burglary in process, but a ****ing "hey come by to affirm our place was broken into for insurance/property retrieval purposes." And he marched out of his ****ing car and killed their animal because it scared him by acting...normally.

Even if he had to get out of his car (and if you're a stranger and there's a dog barking at you just stay in the car and call the people you're trying to visit, FFS), this was a cattle dog, not a 120 lb Presa Canario. Here is how big she was:

So he shoots their dog (according to the necropsy, in the back of the head) he then sits in his car like a pussy, refuses to help the people whose dog he's just maimed and waits while they drown her in a bucket of water.

How WONDERFUL that he's been fired and is facing charges.

Last edited by Xandra; 05-10-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

I watched the dash cam video and it's heart wrenching. The screams coming from the dog sound almost identical to the noises Ma'ii has made the few times he's gotten hurt over the years. It really hits close to home. And then the poor owner.... I've seen videos similar in the past, and they are all horrible, but this one is by far the worst.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

She was also shot in the back of the head...meaning she was facing away from the officer. Officers need to stop reacting to everything with their weapons.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
It's about arrogant cops who feel that just because they signed up for a risky job they are entitled to protect themselves from any threat, no matter what the cost to the people they are supposed to serve and protect. I've been bitten by dogs, it's not nice. But 9/10 times it's not the end of the world when it's by a medium size dog and you're an able-bodied grown man in an upright position. If it's a bad bite, maybe you have to get some stitches, some antibiotics... deal with it. You aren't that important. You dont' get to neutralize every small potential threat with deadly force just because you're an authority figure. The rest of the population successfully deals with this stuff on a daily basis without using a gun, so can you.

I agree.

I did watch the video, and from what I can see, I might tend to begrudgingly say MAYBE it was a smidge warranted. A charging/barking dog... doesn't scare me, but I can sort of see someone taking action. BUT, considering they found the bullet entered in the back of the head...yeah, I can't feel bad for the officer. The dog was barking in the truck as the officer pulled up, why even get out if you are that nervous with dogs?

I am definitely sick of hearing about cops shooting dogs...

I delivered pizza five nights a week for three years. In Florida, land of the 'yard dogs'. I traipsed through yards and knocked on the wrong doors plenty of times, had many many dogs run up and NEVER once did I ever wish I had a weapon for any loose dog that approached me. I think there were two dogs (contained, chained or in the yard) EVER that worried me if they were to get off the chain or over the fence. One time I drove up to a house, a large Dane was standing at eye level with me in my car, a little hackly and sort of giving me the stink eye and barking. You know what I did? I called the homeowner from my car, rather than risking my safety in a situation I was unsure of. Because just like the police do, I had their number. Also, the Dane settled and was fine with me when the homeowner came out and took control.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Good.

10000%. So sick of it. Nonsense.