Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Food question (for Cynder) (premade raw?)

Random question. Does anyone know what the texture is of those dog food rolls you can buy at Petsmart? Trying to brainstorm potential new supplemental food ideas for Cynder...she's been having a bad time lately.

On that note, would it be worth maybe trying premade raw? Is that pretty calorie dense when compared with canned food? What is its texture like? Any brands in particular that stand out above the rest? Would that be something that she would need to ONLY be on, or could it be given in rotation to a canned food?

She's still regurging today. :/ We haven't had this many problems since she was first diagnosed. She has lost some weight, and she didn't really have any to loose. We need to try something else, because what we're doing now isn't working.

She was able to keep a hotdog down this morning without any issues, but that was about it.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm All Ears

Are you talking about the Freshpet stuff?

Its not a roll but little pieces of soft food. Kind of reminds me of cookie dough in texture. I've heard it has ridiculous amounts of sodium, but not sure. My dogs love it for a treat but if she could eat that and keep it down it would be worth looking into I'd think.

I've used premade raw- both Stella and Chewy's and Primal. My dogs are iffy on it as far as willingness to eat. Summer has texture issues. The Primal was mushier than the S&C. S&C is definitely more solid than canned food. I've always fed partial raw so don't see how it'd be a problem unless her specific medical issues needed more consistency...

I'd say it's worth trying anything and everything possible just so she can eat. I'm so sorry it's not going well for her right now. I hope you find something she can eat.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure which rolls Petsmart has, but we have FreshPet at work. It comes in logs/tubes that have to be refrigerated. It has a pretty firm consistency, kind of like summer sausage, but a little more moist. When you slice it up it retains it's shape, it doesn't crumble or anything.

Premade raw could be an option. As far as calories go, it can range anywhere from 30-80 kcals/oz. I'm not sure what canned food you're feeding right now, but the raw may definitely be denser. Most canned foods are somewhere between 300-600 kcals/13oz can, so roughly 25-50 kcals/oz.

Texture varies from brand to brand. I would say Primal, Natures Variety, and Stella & Chewys tend to be the most firm - even when thawed, they don't get super mushy or bloody. Bravo, Steve's, Raw Bistro, and Vital Essentials are all pretty bloody and mushy when thawed, Natures Logic is somewhere in the middle. As far as companies go, they're all pretty good, I would feel comfortable feeding any of them. They all have complete and balanced diets, and some offer supplemental formulas as well.

I haven't run into any digestion problems feeding raw, canned, and kibble in rotation or mixed together. Every dog is different, obviously, but I would say rotating is definitely something to try.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Yah, I was thinking about the Fresh Pet type food. I may pick up a roll and see how she takes it. If it isn't quite what I want, Abrams will have a nice treat. Lol

Can any of the raw foods be ordered online, or are they only available at stores? I'm still getting a feel for the area, but unless I want to drive all the way to New Orleans I don't think there are many food options around here.

I think I'm going to experiment a bit and see what we can do. Right now we're just upping her meds, feeding smaller more frequent, and holding up right longer. I've been giving her a calorie supplement, too.

May try softened, blended dry food. I'm going to whip up a batch tomorrow and see how much volume it actually makes. If it's less than her canned, we'll give it a try.

I'll see about trying a premade raw diet, too. I think a more firm consistency, especially in small amounts, may be very beneficial. I've only ever had her regurge dog food, never any of the human food I give her. (Hot dog, slice of bread, summer sausage, bits of hamburger, etc.) Don't know if that's a texture/ease of digestibility deal, or the fact that she only gets "small" amounts periodically. Even if I could give her a raw medallion or something in place of a treat...I think that would make a difference.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Could she do a dehydrated raw made runny?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
Could she do a dehydrated raw made runny?
I'd certainly be open to trying it! Would you rehydrate it like you would kibble? (Add water and blend?)

Basically, it has to be slimey and non irritating enough to slide down her esophagus easily. (But super runny isn't the best either, as she could aspirate.) The smaller the total volume the better, so something that is nutrient and calorie dense is ideal.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

It looks like PetFoodDirect sells frozen Bravo, Natures Variety, Primal, and Stella & Chewys. I've never ordered frozen food online, so I don't know how they handle shipping and whatnot. I checked Chewy and PetFlow, and they only sell freeze-dried, no frozen.

Where are you located? I might be able to help you find a place that sells frozen.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Huh the freshpet must have different kinds of food. Mine are very small little balls of cookie-dough like food. We use it as a treat.

Like this:

Have you tried like the honest kitchen? My dogs hated it but might be worth a shot.

My dogs really like the freeze dried Stella and Chewy patties too but they're expensive.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I'd certainly be open to trying it! Would you rehydrate it like you would kibble? (Add water and blend?)
Yup! I would think that a rehydrated food (like Honest Kitchen or Sojos) would be more of a canned consistency, but you can always add less water and see how that goes.

Stella & Chewys and Primal both make a freeze-dried food that comes in patties/nuggets...you could add water to that and still have it be a whole piece. If that makes sense.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm All Ears

Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore are the two raw food websites I hear about. Haven't ever ordered from them.