Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Just try me..

Not a huge fan of racing, for the reasons mentioned. When too much money is at stake the horse's welfare becomes less of a concern. When people have many horses its even worse (this is why many racing stables at the high end are often 'factory' like)

But I do love race horses themselves. My fave breed of horse is the TB.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Resident fainting goat

I don't know enough to really form a fair opinion.

I like the movies lol and think the derby is fun to watch
Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
How do you feel about it?

I uses to hate it and think it was cruel. And honestly sometimes it still bothers me a bit.

But my stepdad owns like 10 race horses and honestly? These horses live a great life, are treated with the best veterinary care, and once they retire they live on farms and I know a few of the people that now have the ex racers.

I guess I'm just kind of somewhere in the middle. It's my stepdads passion and hobby so I'm only really hearing his side.
Well .... as someone who makes their living in the racing industry, obviously I am in support of it. Of course there are bad apples but the picture animal rights jerks paint is not accurate either. MOST race horses (yes even claimers) are treated like the athletes they are. Of course there are injuries as there will be with any athlete (you should see how many injuries and how much care track runners and football players have! They're like race horses in human form).

A reminder to any who want this stopped, most of us love our horses and couldn't imagine doing anything else. We are living our dream working with them.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 PM

I'm watching Secretariat and let me say that everything they say about good race horses in that movie is true, some horses, no matter what their level of competition just love to run and love the work, through all the aches and pains they might have, through all the moving around and everything.

And when they get "ready" whether they are a claimers or a derby contender, it's an awesome thing to see

Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think the point they are making is that, unlike footballers/track stars, race horses don't choose their races or which injuries to just "push through"...they are pushed. Can you really KNOW they want to run?/how much of that is training/because they have to? etc..etc..

Not that I agree. I mean, in a world where we eat cows without their consent it's hard to be that upset about racing horses without theirs.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

My official stance is that I don't particularly like it, won't watch it live, and absolutely don't think it should be banned.

There is plenty that is good in it, there is a lot that is bad. The good people shouldn't have their lives ruined because others suck. Were I unbelievably wealthy, I would start a series of races that pays a ridiculous purse and can't be entered until the horse is 5 years old.

I do think the industry is making great strides in holding owners/trainers accountable for horses who fall through the cracks, although there is still a long way to go.

I still won't watch it live. For the big races, I wait until a friend tells me that everyone came home safely, and then I will watch the recaps.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I think the point they are making is that, unlike footballers/track stars, race horses don't choose their races or which injuries to just "push through"...they are pushed. Can you really KNOW they want to run?/how much of that is training/because they have to? etc..etc..

Not that I agree. I mean, in a world where we eat cows without their consent it's hard to be that upset about racing horses without theirs.
Yes, you know. That's part of being a good horsemen, that also where having good grooms is important too, because a good one (like the ones who work for our boss) will tell the trainer if a horse is sore or sick or just off that day.

If any of our horses just aren't "feeling" it that day, we either take them easy of don't track them. If they just don't " have it" then they are rehomed, the Eisenhower a pretty good market In the barrel horse industry for OOTQHs and a market for OOTBs for hunters and other English disciplines.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Let it be

I think the horse world needs to get with the times. I am not 100% only use positive reinforcement but horses are still trained a lot of the time in the horse version of Cesar Milan's style.

I know a lot of people in the racing industry and I hate how disposable a lot of people treat their horses. Even if they don't treat them poorly they do seem to just hand them off to whoever will take them after they are d one their careers.

I just wish horses were treated with more respect than they are. I have a bit of a clash g oing on with it as I am a vegan, I have been a horse person since I was little and I love training animals with positive reinforcement. I feel like my own ethics get all jumbled on horse back riding LOL

I'd be happy if horses were treated more kindly and less like crappy cars that you just junk after you run them into the ground.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I think the horse world needs to get with the times. I am not 100% only use positive reinforcement but horses are still trained a lot of the time in the horse version of Cesar Milan's style.

I know a lot of people in the racing industry and I hate how disposable a lot of people treat their horses. Even if they don't treat them poorly they do seem to just hand them off to whoever will take them after they are d one their careers.

I just wish horses were treated with more respect than they are. I have a bit of a clash g oing on with it as I am a vegan, I have been a horse person since I was little and I love training animals with positive reinforcement. I feel like my own ethics get all jumbled on horse back riding LOL

I'd be happy if horses were treated more kindly and less like crappy cars that you just junk after you run them into the ground.
Not all people are like that, a lot of trainers from the Valley (west texas and northern mexico) are like that, but a good number of American trainers are good people. I won't work for someone who treats their horses badly.

I pony race horses for a living, I have a pony horse. I am sure he would LOVE to just be left to do whatever he wants, unfortunately that isn't the reality, I have to make money to feed him, so in short, like me, if he wants to eat, he has to work too. I do not "run him in the ground" I either use him at night or in the morning, I don't do both but there are people who do, but ideally if you are going to pony in the morning and at night you need two horses, because its too hard on them. So instead I groom in the mornings and pony on race nights. Which means he works only 2-3 nights a week.

Also, to agility and dog sports people: How do YOU know when and if your dog likes what they do? You cant "know " for sure, right? But I am sure you "just know". But since the dog cant verbally tell you, then perhaps you are "forcing" your dog to compete as well?

Just saying.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Mutts to you

I worked at the track as a groom (decades ago), and it was for a young trainer just starting out, so I think there was one allowance horse in the bunch, the rest were claimers. We took darned good care of those horses, and that trainer did his best to get them ready to run and pick a race they could do well in. The idea is to win races, and if you abuse or run those horses into the ground, well, that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Saying these horses are forced to run is kinda like saying Huskies and other sled dogs are forced to run as well. So why can dogs love to run, but not horses?

I do wish TBs weren't raced so early but some of that is the government's fault. Used to be horsemen could write off their expenses in raising these thoroughbreds but now they can't and owners want to see some return for all the money they sink into their horses. If they don't show a profit within seven years, the IRS can declare their business is a hobby and they can't write off anything.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey