Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

DHPP and rabies every 3 years. Lepto and bordatella once a year as my family has a private lake the dogs constantly drink out of and I work at places that require/have a high risk of kennel cough.

I'm not sure yet how I will approach puppy shots.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 05-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Parvo and Distemper as puppies, reboost at 1 year. Rabies every 3 years.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Parvo and Distemper as puppies. Would do Rabies if required by law, but it isn't here, so I haven't yet. But as I do more hiking in the mountains I might change my mind as now I feel there's is more of a risk vs. when we stayed mainly in the city.

I used to do the DHPPL in the past, but one of my dogs got super sick after so I opt not to go that route anymore. That was before I knew anything about risks vs. benefits. None of my dogs have been vaccinated for bordatella either. Seems pointless to me, as even dogs in the past who were vaccinated for it ended up with kennel cough anyway.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 05-02-2014, 04:24 AM
overdogged

Luce only gets rabies q 3 years at this point.

Ham gets DHPP q 3 years and rabies q 3 years and will be starting the Merial Lepto vaccine as soon as we get it in at work.

Steve gets rabies and DHPP q 3 years, bordetella oral annually, I gave him the flu vaccine because there were confirmed cases in the town that I live in, and he'll be getting Lepto.

Bean gets rabies and DHPP every 3 years, I gave him the flu vaccine, and he will be getting Lepto,

I try to address each dogs' individual needs. Luce's lifestyle is completely different from Bean's. Bean goes to daycare once a week where he's in close personal contact with a whole bunch of different dogs. And he hikes and swims in creeks and ponds, hence the Lepto vaccine.

Steve doesn't go to daycare, but because he is my Service Dog, I need him to stay healthy as much as possible, so I did give him the kennel cough vaccine due to our attending flyball practices and tournaments and swapping spit via tennis ball with other dogs.

I used to not vaccinate for anything but rabies and distemper combo, but lately it just seems right to vaccinate. I worry about the beating on their immune systems, but it's like six of one, half-dozen of the other.

I can just educate myself as much as possible and hope I'm making the right choices.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Rabies every 3 years (after initial vaccine and booster at 1 year)

Distemper/Parvo/Adenovirus/Parainfluenza every 4 years (after puppy series and booster at 1 year)

Lepto every year (may not give this anymore now that we're moving to Edmonton... we'll see)

The last 2 years Kili has gotten her Bordetella and Summit only got it this year. Always for boarding/daycare reasons... though Kili I may keep current more often since she's going to be competing and seeing a lot of places with high concentrations of dogs.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

The one's I've known since puppyhood got all the puppy shots.

I just do Rabies every three years ,DHPP 3-5.

Does anyone know if they do the three year rabies for cats?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 AM
such sights to show you

There is a 3-year licensed rabies vaccine for cats, but it contains an adjuvant, and therefore has a higher risk of vaccine-associated sarcomas. It doesn't make intuitive sense, but the PureVax rabies vaccine has a much lower risk of vaccine-associated sarcomas even though it is given every year, because it doesn't contain an adjuvant.

(For a long time it was believed that the number, type or frequency of injections was the risk, but the evidence has shown pretty clearly that it's the presence or absence of an adjuvant in the vaccine.)

Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm All Ears

My vet says lepto is pretty common here and Mia ends up wading in pretty much whatever water she finds so that's why I started getting that one too.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Big Dog

Anything and everything #sorrynotsorry. Anything the vet recommends, I ask why they recommend it, and if their explanation is sound to me, I go ahead and do it. I don't think I've said no to something yet after the explanation. I trust my vet more than I trust the internet.

Snout Prints on the Window
Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMutt View Post
Anything and everything #sorrynotsorry. Anything the vet recommends, I ask why they recommend it, and if their explanation is sound to me, I go ahead and do it. I don't think I've said no to something yet after the explanation. I trust my vet more than I trust the internet.
Yep yep yep! That being said I don't have a yet who goes vaccine crazy. Henry is seven and hasn't had a vaccine in awhile. I honestly don't know, we do the three year rabies. I think(?) he gets bordatella every year? Not sure. Pretty sure I did ask about the vaccine for Lyme and he got that a few years back.

Rhys has had all his puppy series and rabies. I'll reevaluate once it's time for his yearly.