Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
orange iguanas.

Puppy series, rabies once. That's it.

Anything else would only be as needed, ie if I had to board them or something.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Rabies per the law until old age/health dictates otherwise. DHPP as necessary?

I really don't remember Buzz and Bailey's vaccination schedules until I was in control of them but I know they used to get Lepto AND Lyme vaccines. And they got that along with DHPP and Rabies (whenever rabies was due). No adverse reactions I know of, thankfully! Bailey was "current" on vaccines for daycare in 2012 but since then has only had Rabies (in January).

Gabby received limited vaccines when she was with her previous owner (not because they were well informed...) and when she got her vaccines done by the local vet we use with ESRA, they did a DHPP+C (on an adult dog... I have no idea why they did Corona), Rabies, and Bordetella. So she'll likely only get Rabies when that's due (although, I seem to remember them saying her Rabies is only good for 2 years, I need to look at her certificate).
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

I do rabies and DAPP every three years, and will continue to do so until age/health dictates otherwise. Jack and Missy's are staggered (they both got DAPP last year, they'll both get rabies this year), Heidi will be getting both this year.

Sassy was due for rabies and distemper last year, but was in poor health at the time so I declined both. I don't know what I'm going to do going forward, she's pretty old.

I don't plan on any puppies anytime soon (or ever!) but I would do DAPP at 8, 12, and (maybe?) 16 weeks, rabies at 20 weeks. Both rabies and DAPP at one year, and then every three years after that.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

DHPP puppy shots, no lepto for shelties. Rabies after the last round of puppy shots. Three year boosters when they're a year old for everything... then probably just rabies from there as required by law. Auggie got an extra round of DHPP when he was four but he's definitely done now.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Puppy series, rabies once. That's it.

Anything else would only be as needed, ie if I had to board them or something.
I should add this school of thought is more for "future" although I guess it's held pretty true for my current batch of dogs. Juno had DAPP at 7, 10, 13, and 16 weeks of age (too many for my liking, now); rabies, lyme, and bordetella at 16 weeks. All of those were boostered a year later which were needed because she was going to daycare (although I still have no idea why I ever agreed to do the lyme vaccine). But now she hasn't had a vaccine since then.

Lucy had her puppy series and then was never vaccinated again until she was 7 years old when I decided to adopt Happy - because I knew the rescue would check on that.

Obviously coming from a rescue Happy is UTD on vaccines, and Cajun I have no idea when she was vaccinated (I get the impression she only had puppy series, too) but I don't have any immediate plans to vaccinate her.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
DHPP puppy shots, no lepto for shelties. Rabies after the last round of puppy shots. Three year boosters when they're a year old for everything... then probably just rabies from there as required by law. Auggie got an extra round of DHPP when he was four but he's definitely done now.
Why no lepto for shelties? Do they have issues with it too?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I know you're not asking me, and I can't say for Shelties specifically, but I know lepto is a huge problem in smaller dogs in general.

My veterinarian friend thinks lepto vaccine is way overused anyway. Certain areas have more problems with it but in general, the risk is worse for little dogs to receive the vaccine than the chances of actually contracting lepto. Plus the vaccine tends to be hard on the liver apparently. Lepto is really very rare, in the big spectrum of things. I read that there are less than 200 cases in the U.S. and half those in Hawaii. It's really common in tropical countries with heavy rainfall. The vaccine doesn't even protect against all the different strains of the lepto. Vets see more cases of reactions to lepto vaccine, than lepto itself.

Jackson almost died after getting the lepto vaccine at 12 weeks. Well, that may be a bit overdramatic, I thought he was going to... but it was very scary. Lost control of his back legs, puked, his head couldn't hold up for a minute, we rushed back to the vet. Won't ever do it again and I find it completely unnecessary.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yep. Most breeders tell their buyers not to give it, even some sheltie rescues now warn against it. The general feeling is the risk of the vax itself is higher than the odds of getting lepto in the first place. Dr. Schultz doesn't recommend it except for high-risk areas, but IIRC he lives in a high-risk area himself and doesn't give it.

ETA: Whoops, JacksonsMom posted while I was posting... yes to everything she said. There's only a few places in the US where it's even considered high-risk. California is one. But even in California I think confirmed cases in dogs are still really, really ridiculously low.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Meg was an adult rescue, so who the heck knows what she had. Rabies is always up to date with both my dogs; Meg got DHPP when in rescue, and has just been titered a few times since then.

Gusto only had 2 rounds of the puppy DHPP; he was weaned so incredibly young that I was pretty comfortable assuming that the maternal antibodies were gone. He also had the 1 year booster. Other than rabies, he has had nothing else.

Meg is likely done completely; I may titer her once more just for curiosity sake if I have the spare cash, but I'm not worried about it. I will probably titer Gusto at 4 or 5 years and see where we are. I have zero issue giving another booster if they are low.

I've never been forced into bordatella, but I'd do it if required. I don't do Lyme/Lepto.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Yep. Most breeders tell their buyers not to give it, even some sheltie rescues now warn against it. The general feeling is the risk of the vax itself is higher than the odds of getting lepto in the first place. Dr. Schultz doesn't recommend it except for high-risk areas, but IIRC he lives in a high-risk area himself and doesn't give it.

ETA: Whoops, JacksonsMom posted while I was posting... yes to everything she said. There's only a few places in the US where it's even considered high-risk. California is one. But even in California I think confirmed cases in dogs are still really, really ridiculously low.
Yeah a lot of Yorkie breeders will warn against it as well and specifically state in contracts and papers, etc, NOT to give it. I figured it'd be similar in Shelties.

Brit & Jackson