Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Aware

Default What do you vaccinate for?

Just curious what everyone else does. Right now, my guys get rabies every three years and that is it. I'd like to start tietering, but nobody is due for at least another year, so it's not something I've looked into very far just yet.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 05-01-2014, 12:50 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Puppies receive:
DHPP x 3
Lepto x2
Rabies

(Abrams got bordetella, too, because it was free and he spent a lot of time at the clinic with me.)

Then after the initial yearly boosters, I do rabies every 3 years and DHPP every 3-5. I also vaccinate for lepto if I'm worried about exposure. (Aka, Abrams will likely always receive it since he is always in water. My mom's Dachshund, on the other hand, who spends 22 hours a day sleeping and thinks nature is gross...probably not.)

I tend to not vaccinate at all once the dog hits fuddy duddy senior dog status.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Silence, peasants.

Feist got her rabies and DHPP.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 05-01-2014, 01:08 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Puppies receive:
DHPP x 3
Lepto x2
Rabies

(Abrams got bordetella, too, because it was free and he spent a lot of time at the clinic with me.)

Then after the initial yearly boosters, I do rabies every 3 years and DHPP every 3-5. I also vaccinate for lepto if I'm worried about exposure. (Aka, Abrams will likely always receive it since he is always in water. My mom's Dachshund, on the other hand, who spends 22 hours a day sleeping and thinks nature is gross...probably not.)

I tend to not vaccinate at all once the dog hits fuddy duddy senior dog status.
I'd love to be sorta similar... except give a lymes over lepto since we have a TON of that here and I'm constantly pulling ticks off them due to trails. BUT, I travel a lot so they stay pretty up to date on everything bc the daycares/boarding places all require it. :-/
Old 05-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Rabies + Titers for anything life threatening and vaccines if necessary (parvo, lepto, distemper)
He has gotten bordatella when necessary (boarding, daycare etc..)

I've been on the fence about the lyme vaccine and parainfluenza.

I've gone from ALL OF THEM, to NONE OF THEM HOLISTIC FOREVER, Now back to kind of a medium

I know the risks of vaccines, that said, Merlin is around A LOT of other dogs and I would never forgive myself if he caught something life threatening and he wasn't vaccinated. The side effects for me were worth the risk.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM
such sights to show you

I do rabies as required by law (every 3 here) and after the puppy series I do DHPP every... 3-5 or so. Exactly how often depends on a number of factors. Around 8-10 I usually stop vaccinating for DHPP, again that depends.

Bordatella I do when it's required for boarding. I don't generally do any others unless there are specific circumstances - like, I vaccinated for lepto for a few years when we had a neighbor on our alley feeding raccoons and they were crawling all over everybody's backyards. When they moved, I stopped.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Rabies and Distemper every 3 hours. Will reevaluate with the oldies after this year's 3 year booster (they'll be 11 and 13 then... nuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

Well, preferably as a pup, I'd do DHP 3 or 4 times. Then do rabies when appropriate by law (I think it's 4ish months here?). Then booster for DHP and rabies at one year. Then do rabies by law every 3 years.

As of now, that's our plan to just do rabies every 3 years for the rest of his life or as the law follows. Nothing else is in my plans as of yet. He is 5 1/2 now and hasn't had DHP since one year old. I suppose it wouldn't *hurt* to get one more DHP vaccine but IF I did so choose to do it again, he wouldn't ever get it again, because at that point I feel he'd be fully protected (which, tbh, I pretty much feel like he is now anyway).

But as a pup he had DHLPP at 12 weeks and had a horrid reaction to lepto. So I was a bit scared of vaccines at that point and stalled getting him anymore. But we did eventually get the '3rd round' minus the lepto. He did not get rabies until almost 6 months old. We boosted at a year for all. Then he had rabies again at 4yrs old per the law. He's had 3 bordatella vaccines in there somewhere too but I highly doubt I'll EVER get that one again.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Rabies and Distemper every 3 hours. Will reevaluate with the oldies after this year's 3 year booster (they'll be 11 and 13 then... nuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!)

****, every 3 hours? You are paranoid

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm All Ears

I do DHPP and lepto but didn't do lepto till Mia was older. The breed sometimes has issues with it. Boosters every 3-5 years. Not sure if Summer will get anything else now that she's old. Mia's only had the puppy shots and one booster set.

I do rabies as required by law.

There have been a couple occasions I have done bordatella but that was a long time ago and so that we could do something (like board or whatnot).