Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Clumping Kitty Litter Suggestions

Do any of you guys know of a clumping (doesn't have to be clay) litter that masks the cat feces/urine scent well? I would prefer if it is not scented, or at least not heavily scented.

Jazmin's litter box smells horrendous, and I am attributing it to the most recent bag of litter I purchased (Precious Cat). I normally buy Integrity litter, but it was urgent and our normal shop was closed. While I was satisfied with Integrity, it still didn't do a stellar job of masking the aroma of the box, so I'm trying to find something different now. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Twin 2

I just got this litter this week looking for a litter that would help with the smell since we had to add an extra litter box upstairs and it's been smelling awful.

http://www.armandhammer.com/pet-care...at-litter.aspx

So far I'm SUPER impressed with it. My sister actually forgot to do the cat boxes since she didn't smell them.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:24 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't know, I use Dr. Elseys Precious Cat and it's like my favorite litter ever lol. I don't notice any odor, Jinx lives in my bedroom now and you'd have no idea there's a litter box in here.

Could the odor be diet related? And I'm not saying that in a bad way - Jinx's poop would stink up the whole house when he was on Natures Variety. No cat litter was gonna mask that lol. I don't recall any other food that made it that awful. When he's on raw there's 0 odor. His urine isn't really strong either, we add a ton of water to his food, maybe that helps...

Juno CGC 2009 :: Sawyer 2015 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun CGC 2013
Run free, Molly :: Happy
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I don't know, I use Dr. Elseys Precious Cat and it's like my favorite litter ever lol. I don't notice any odor, Jinx lives in my bedroom now and you'd have no idea there's a litter box in here.

Agree!!! Dr. Elseys is what I use too and I love it!!!
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

The best odor reducers we've used are Fresh Step and Ever Clean.

If you buy fresh step go with an unscented one, because holy perfume batman. I cannot stand the scented litters, I don't want to smell the litter box whether it smells like poop or synthetic daisies. I want to smell nothing. It's also the dustiest litter I've ever used so if tracking dust is a concern I wouldn't recommend it. But it clumps hard and controls odor really well.

The Ever Clean is awesome but kind of expensive.

We used to use Arm&Hammer super scoop, multi cat, ultra last, etc. and it worked great until all of a sudden it didn't. I don't know if they changed something in their formula or what but it was useless all of a sudden. I've never tried the clump and seal though and we had a cat at work that used it, I loved how fine it was and it clumped super hard.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 AM
mushinois

I use Ever Clean. It's pretty dusty, but it clumps really hard - including sort of clumping to the poops so I think that helps mask them.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

I can't stand perfumed litter so I have used the Fleet Farm brand clumping litter for a couple years now. I get the multi cat baking soda one. Works well for my purposes. And cheap too.
ESRA foster Diego 13 years
Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'll look into a couple of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

Could the odor be diet related? And I'm not saying that in a bad way - Jinx's poop would stink up the whole house when he was on Natures Variety. No cat litter was gonna mask that lol. I don't recall any other food that made it that awful. When he's on raw there's 0 odor. His urine isn't really strong either, we add a ton of water to his food, maybe that helps...
I didn't really think about it being related to diet, but it is a possibility. I get her a different brand of food every time she goes through a 5 lb. bag, so this food could be the problem. I'm definitely not going to get this brand again though because she didn't even really like it.

It's weird because Jazmin's breeder uses and swears by Dr. Elsey's, and I used it for the first year or so that I had her. I always had trouble finding it in stores though so I eventually switched. I haven't gotten it in maybe 4 years, but for some reason it is not masking the scent this time. I'm going to switch litters and foods and see what happens.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

I have had good luck with Tidy Cat for small spaces. Also World's Best. I liked the clumping ability of the Clump n Seal, but the litter odor itself triggered migraines. (I can't handle certain smells)
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

I use Easy Clean unscented cat litter and it works really well for us and controls odor. http://www.pestell.com/pet/catlitter.php?subtype=2