Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Club Terrible - President

Default Bettas!

I'm getting back into my other hobby, which is fishkeeping (with a focus on Betta splendens, the betta you find at pet stores), so I figured I'd make a thread to put all of betta pictures in. Feel free to post yours! Right now I just have the one boy I got on Tuesday, who needs a name (Sunkist?). He's an orange cellophane butterfly veiltail male.

Last edited by Julee; 05-01-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Oh, he's really pretty!

This is Berta He's in a 20 gallon planted tank, currently just sharing with 7 rasboras.

And just one of (6 of) his tankmates!

ETA: *disclaimer* That dead, black plant has since been taken out of the tank

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I miss my fish! Another thing to add to the list for when I move! HaHa!

Both of yours are beautiful!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

I've been out of fish keeping for a few years now but I used to have 20+ betta, about 50/50 males and females. The girls stayed in a sorority tank together. I tried my hand at breeding and only have one semi-successful bunch. They were slow, slow, slow growing and most were deformed. The one little one who made it the longest, I called Sunkist. His dad was orange and his mom was yellow cambodian. Your guy looks similar to what mine would have looked like as an adult, Julee. Oooh, the memories. Sometimes I want more fish but then I remember all the work that it requires. That, and I'd have to start from scratch again, I got rid of everything when the last of my fish died.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

I currently have two babies and an adult male yellow pineapple crowntial! One of the baby is a double tail and I believe the other is a delta, it's hard to tell on the babies. Their color is still unknown as they're just starting to really color up

Fred who has is still working on getting back to his former glory after being in pretty rough shape when I picked him up at Petco.

The day I got him for reference. He was resting on the plant because he couldn't swim much without exhausting himself.

Theta who I believe is a delta tail.

And George who is the double tail.

Just starting to color up.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 05-06-2014, 10:05 AM

So cute! Fred is a pineapple, the first baby is going to be a veiltail (and is a marble), and the second you already know is a doubletail, looks like he/she will be a blue with red wash.

Jess, I love your guy and his set up! Do you have a shot of his whole tank? I love rasboras, but I've never actually kept them. Maybe when I set up a 10g soon.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Jess, I love your guy and his set up! Do you have a shot of his whole tank? I love rasboras, but I've never actually kept them. Maybe when I set up a 10g soon.
Now I do! Haha. His tank as of today! There's a couple anubias, a couple (potted) sword plants, those 2 moneywort until they die, a moss ball and a couple hornwort.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/nw3zVY]

Yesterday, I was at the pet store to buy some filter cartridges, and, well, this happened.

Meet Lupin
IMG_4054 by JessLough, on Flickr

I'm heading back today because I bought the wrong filter cartridges, and forgot to buy him a plant. He's quite a bit smaller than Berta, and has already coloured up quite a bit from yesterday.
IMG_4056 by JessLough, on Flickr

IMG_4058 by JessLough, on Flickr

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Well now I want a betta!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Get one! They do need to be heated, and do best in at least a 2.5g (bigger is always better). Some people choose to filter, some don't (I don't usually, unless they're in a tank with other fish. I do partial water changes daily and a full water change 1-2x weekly depending on the size of the tank, I also use live plants). They're super personable, and come in a huge variety of colors, patterns, and tail types. Don't overlook the females, either, they can be quite pretty and equally as personable.

Jess, I love your new guy! I don't know if you know colors and tail types and whatnot, let me know if you don't!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Jess, I love your new guy! I don't know if you know colors and tail types and whatnot, let me know if you don't!
Thanks! And haven't a clue.