Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 AM
Obey the Toad.

I'm very middle of the road. My dogs are fed good quality grain free kibble, get supplements, have gotten acupuncture and swim therapy, but they also get heartworm prevention year round, flea and tick prevention year round (Sally is VERY allergic to fleas), are are UTD on their vaccines. Sally has gotten a cortizone shot or two for a bad allergy attack-if she is at the point where nothing is easing her symtoms and she is miserable I take her to the vet for a shot. Jack gets an NSAID for his elbow if he is having a very sore day. I don't think that traditional medicine has all the answers, but there is definately a segment of alternative medicine is pretty sketchy IMHO.

As for me, I will always be current on my tetnus shot. My body tolerates it with nothing more than a little arm soreness, and I hang out in barns, outdoors, around animals, work in a factory, and am a klutz. If I ever have kids, they will be UTD on their vaccinations.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
I don't know many people that are "natural-ing" their pets to death - their pets aren't suffering from any health problems that could have been prevented/treated with Western medicine.
I've really only interacted personally with one person who was 110% into the "holistic" thing, and then some. She quite literally viewed her dog has a human being and there were countless times I wanted to just say to her, "Lady...he's a DOG. His mind doesn't work that way. Please take a step back, LOOK at the body language your dog is screaming at you, and maybe he'll stop being so anxious and growly all of the time." But, anyway, that wasn't the point. The dog had a horrible hot spot on its foot that started off as a small thing, then turned into this flaming area of infection that was starting to go up the leg. She was so dead set against using "traditional" medicine that she fought with it for using "natural" remedies and supplements. It didn't improve. She finally took the dog to an animal communicator, because she thought he must be so uncomfortable and the animal communicator said that the dog wanted to be seen by the the clinic I worked with. She finally brought the dog in and we were able to treat it with, you know. Antibiotics. Steroids. Antihistamines. All horrible, horrible things. The dog recovered quickly.

I guess my thought is, science has given us these technologies. No, that doesn't mean we need to use them ALL them time, no, that doesn't mean that alternatives are not out there, no, that doesn't mean they aren't without side effects and consequences and should be used casually...but they're there. Utilize them.

I've also heard numerous times over the past few days that, "I don't need to use a flea prevention on my dog. I just bathe them with dawn dish soap. Kills all of the fleas, and it's safe." Um, okay. And all of the flea eggs and larvae in your home and yard are being treated/killed...how? But apparently bathes in dawn daily is better than actually doing something to control and treat the actual issue. Because the ways to control and treat the actual issue are "bad" for the dog.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
OH I should add...my dogs are currently current on EVERYTHING and I am pissed lol. They were just supposed to get rabies (they had their puppy shots, I do follow Dodds protocol for them and they are currently 2 1/2 and 5 1/2). DH brought them in, did not listen to what I told him, forgot the note he asked I write, did not get the text I sent and the vet either ignored or forgot all the times we discussed vaccines (and that she actually agrees with my schedule and follows it herself for the most part with her dogs) and gave them DHPP, rabies, and bordatella.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post
My dogs are as well, and I ended up switching vets over it. What part of JUST RABIES was confusing to the guy I'll never know. But it really pissed me off especially since Rigby just had a full round of everything else less than a year prior. Also had a nice chat with him for prescribing broad range antibiotics as a "precaution." Because of over prescribing, antibiotics are going to be entirely useless likely within our lifetime.
Honest question, HOW does that happen? I mean, like, does your vet take the animals into the back without you for vaccines? Maybe it's just that my vet does the vaccines in the exam room, with the owners, but if I saw them getting out more than one vaccine (and I only wanted one) I'd be questioning it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Honest question, HOW does that happen? I mean, like, does your vet take the animals into the back without you for vaccines? Maybe it's just that my vet does the vaccines in the exam room, with the owners, but if I saw them getting out more than one vaccine (and I only wanted one) I'd be questioning it
Well, in my case as I said, yes, it was my husband. The vet shouldve clarified what they were doing but he never mentioned to only to rabies even though I told him he had to...he just didnt listen as is pretty typical for him. I have had to stop them before from doing extra...frustrating but I know its just routine for them so its easy to miss notes and special instructions (though it SHOULD be something they catch too)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
with one of our cats we took her in to be spayed. I told them no vaccines, we'd do them after she recovered from the surgery and then it would be only rabies. I was made to sit in a room and get a talking to and then told them what I used to do for a living and said thank you. I signed 2 different papers stating that i was refusing vaccination at that point and had to acknowledge the risks in front of 2 staff people.

They took her in back and told us they call when we could pick her up. when I did we were charged for 2 different sets, i don't remember exactly which ones and rabies needless to say I was a bit pissed. I asked how that could happen when you paraded me thru from office to office signing documents trying to pressure me into saying yes to something I told you no to, and signed in front of 2 of your staff. I asked where those papers were. Funny they weren't anywhere to be found. They simply told me it was their "policy" I asked them under who's protocols at any vet school in the US is vaccination during surgery part of best practices.

Nothing ever came of it, what would? I just never went back
Old 04-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Honest question, HOW does that happen?
Happened to me and Auggie. I told them just rabies on the phone, told them just rabies when I got there, the tech went out to draw up the vax... and came in with everything drawn up. I was torn between telling them "I SAID JUST RABIES" and the fact that having the stuff already drawn up meant they'd just have to waste it - plus I knew the tech would get yelled at by both the vet and the head office tech, and I liked her and didn't really want her to get yelled at. So... I decided not to say anything, and he got a round I didn't want him to get. I'm not mad about it because I was the one who decided not to say anything and I let them give it to him - but it was annoying.
I don't use that vet anymore. My new vet just said "okay" when I told her only rabies for Auggie, I had to sign a form saying I refused them, no big deal. They do keep sending me reminder cards and calling to tell me he's overdue though... no, no he's not.

Georgie got her last annual done without me because I brought her to the old vet to get her OFA x-rays. They said "we'll just do her annual while she's under," and I asked them to bring her into a room when her x-rays were done and do the annual with me there, and they said okay... next thing I know they're telling me she's awake, her annual is done, and do I want to see the x-rays because doc will be done with his next patient in a minute so we can look at the x-rays together. What?? That is NOT what I asked for. If I hadn't wanted her to get any vax that day, I'm sure they would have given them to her, since they were apparently doing what they wanted without listening to what I asked for.

My new vet also does appointments where you bring the animal in the morning, drop them off, and they do the appointment when they have time during the day... without you there. I would never do it, but I could understand why some people might, and it could easily happen there too.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

You guys go to some pretty nervy vet clinics I can't imagine being told you didn't want to do a vaccine, and then just doing them anyway. O.o

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
You guys go to some pretty nervy vet clinics I can't imagine being told you didn't want to do a vaccine, and then just doing them anyway. O.o
I think in our case it was just a mistake... just doing everything routine and not thinking. Not to excuse it, because that's actually almost worse (you kinda should be paying attention to your individual clients, not just treating everybody the same each time in a pattern...), but I think that's what happened.

OTOH I'm not sure what they were thinking with Georgie's appointment. Maybe he just doesn't care because I've taken all my dogs to another vet anyway, so he just did whatever he wanted.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-30-2014, 01:53 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I've gone to vets that didn't even ask me if I wanted things like lepto or bord and just gave them!

I'm at my current vet bc they don't ask if I want x(rabies, bord, distemper, lepto, hw, fecal, etc) they just give me what I said when I called. Love them so much.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Here the receptionist will put in if client asks for only rabies, or whatever, when the client calls to schedule, but then the room assistant comes in and goes over all general info (what they are due for, how the dog is doing, etc etc) and THEN draws up vaccines.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi