Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM
orange iguanas.

I kind of just take the same approach with my pets that I do with myself. My coworkers were like, shocked and appalled that I'm not up to date on my tetatnus vaccine, and that I lied and said I was when I had to go to urgent care for an infected cat bite. I just weigh risk vs benefit? Like, I'd rather take the risk of getting the flu, I'm not getting the vaccine.

I don't know. I guess I've just never had a reason to consider doing things differently. Personally, I feel like a good diet goes a long way for preventing/managing a lot of things (talking to you, diabetic and kidney disease cats).

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Flu vaccine is a little bit different than tetanus. Imo

I don't really care what people do. I do think it's funny how fast some things get passed around as absolute FACT when god knows where it started. And I'm not saying I'm immune to this either.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

I don't really care what people do. I do think it's funny how fast some things get passed around as absolute FACT when god knows where it started. And I'm not saying I'm immune to this either.
This.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

I try to abide by the law (regarding Rabies) to the extent that it isn't very likely to harm my pet. That being said, I currently own two pets not current on Rabies. Rascal has a history of cystitis (and blocking), so we try to avoid doing things that will stress him/his system. Buzz isn't healthy enough, and hasn't been since he was "due."

I give other vaccines as I deem necessary. I feel lucky I don't have to rely on herd immunity, but there are some who do. For that reason, I vaccinate.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Because herd health and disease reservoirs. Your choices about your dogs and children CAN affect my dogs (and children if I had them).
Not really. I mean sure there is a risk, but the likelihood that your child will be harmed by your own decisions dwarf any risk they'll be affected by mine. Yet so many spend more time worrying g about what everyone else is doing.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I know....

Just 2 examples.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Not really. I mean sure there is a risk, but the likelihood that your child will be harmed by your own decisions dwarf any risk they'll be affected by mine. Yet so many spend more time worrying g about what everyone else is doing.
Yes, really. As evidenced by the polio and whooping cough outbreaks that haven't happened. :/

We haven't reached a critical mass in dogs yet, but I think it's pretty inevitable that we'll start seeing some serious parvo and distemper outbreaks due to people who go beyond minimal vaccines into no vaccines territory because ???? (ETA: Talking about puppies not getting vaccinated ever here, not adult dogs.)

Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

Except, take whooping cough for example...outbreaks of it are not new. There is a lot of media hype talking about how its because of lower vaccines now or the anti vaccine movement but often older doctors will tell you they never stopped seeing it over the years. Diseases do also naturally ebb and flow. I know there was a whooping cough outbreak in Texas oh, about 5 years ago now? We were down there for vacation. My niece and nephew both caught it, they are both fully vaccinated. My children arent and didnt. Does that REALLY mean anything...nope, way too many variables to be considered scientific for sure.

I dont want to fully go into everything because I am just not going to agree with the majority here and I am confident in the research I have done (not just reading stuff on the internet ) the doctors and vets I discuss things with etc.

I think there are definite pros and cons to all sides and it comes down to what you personally feel comfortable and safest with. Yes, definitely PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH...and be analytical...dont just take someone else's opinon...question EVERYTHING. But in doing that, people are going to get different answers.

As far as the pendulum swinging too far to holistic side....well the vast majority of dog owners in real life (not on forums or super into them) are still very much on the other side for sure.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 PM
such sights to show you

People will believe what they want to believe pretty much regardless. It's the way our brains are wired, really. We're even wired to accept evidence that supports us and reject evidence that doesn't, regardless of the quality of that evidence. It's really fascinating stuff.

We've had it pretty easy for a long time as far as infectious diseases go both in humans and animals. If we're going to go all anecdotal I can say for sure that all through the years there are geographic pockets (on national, state, and local levels) where people don't vaccinate puppies due primarily to economics and those areas see a LOT of parvo. I think recommended vaccine intervals for adult dogs will continue to get longer and longer but dang, the whole not vaccinating puppies at all thing I just don't get and never will.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

OH I should add...my dogs are currently current on EVERYTHING and I am pissed lol. They were just supposed to get rabies (they had their puppy shots, I do follow Dodds protocol for them and they are currently 2 1/2 and 5 1/2). DH brought them in, did not listen to what I told him, forgot the note he asked I write, did not get the text I sent and the vet either ignored or forgot all the times we discussed vaccines (and that she actually agrees with my schedule and follows it herself for the most part with her dogs) and gave them DHPP, rabies, and bordatella.