Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Top Dog

I have never tried any. I imagine that journey would figure it out quickly but find it boring, like she does Kongs if she has to work too hard at cleaning them out haha. Dance would probably be awesome at it but finish super quickly and obsess over more. I think the Dobermans would not be good at them at all and would look to me for help. I could be wrong, but they really are not problem solvers.

I should try one someday. I do have one that has just never been opened and used.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Wookie Collie

Any of the ones that resemble board games (Nina Ottoson etc.) he figures out in 2.5 seconds, eats everything, and looks smug.

That said, he could be a poster child for any of the difficult puzzle toys like buster cubes and tug-a-jugs. Dude goes NUTS for them and flies around the house making wookie noises trying to get every last bit out. If I fill one with his meal he sings.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Top Dog

Tucker LOVES him food toys. When I'm home he gets his meals out of squirrel dude and kong genius toys (he eats a mix of wet and dry). It doesn't take him terribly long, but I'd say a good 20 minutes. And sometimes he flings squirrel dude at you and it hurts but at least he looks like he'd enjoying himself. He prefers eating out of the toys to eating out of a bowl...if I put both a food filled toy and a food filled bowl down he'll grab the toy and leave the bowl. He also has a starmark everlasting fun ball which I use if his anxiety/reactivity is bad. I fill it with chunks of jerky (I can adjust the difficulty by the size of the hunks) and it keeps him distracted for a while.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:45 AM
I'm All Ears

We like the IQ ball and this little food pod thing we have. Anything else is too easy for Mia and she'll empty it in about a minute. The tug a jug too.... I got her the big do one on accident but she still broke it.

Summer does not understand food toys and thinks it's mean you won't just give her her food.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Highbread Dingbat

Cobain enjoys bashing all the food out of a Buster Cube, but seldom actually eats the food. I guess the satisfaction of knowing he's doing it right is enough?

Oz is terrified of them, but will gladly follow Cobain around with his and pick up the leftovers.

Rigby is good with the Buster Cube as well but I don't often give it to her because 4 dogs in a house, and her with food aggression wouldn't go over too well. She's good with the hide-a-squirrel though.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Behavior Nerd

All of my dogs enjoy treat dispensing toys, but Kes and Snipe are the masters at them. Maggie had them all beat, however. She's the only dog I've known who could empty a stuffed and frozen kong in 15 minutes.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

All the dogs get a frozen Kong daily - usually stuffed with canned, freeze-dreidel kibble, or a mixture. They're all pretty good about cleaning them out.

It took Heidi a long time to figure out the concept of a Kong, and she still hasn't figured out the concept of any toy that she has to roll around - we're trying, though!

I have several Planet Dog toys (the Orbee Tuff Bulb, the Diamond Plate Double Tuff, the Mazee, and the Snoop) that I'll fill with kibble or small treats for Missy and Jack. I've used a Tug-a-Jug, a Kibble Nibble, and a Buster Cube before, but Missy always manages to chew them apart or crack the hard plastic within a couple weeks. I've had the Planet Dog toys for MONTHS and they all look as good as new! They're both pretty good about emptying any food toy.

I've never done the board game-type puzzle toys, but I'm sure they would figure those out pretty quickly.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

I never used them with him as a pup, but when we dogsat, he was really into the dogs kong wobbler so I decided to buy one and he loves it! I bought a few others but he goes through them too quickly. The Kong Wobbler is our favorite.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Nola loves them and even the hardest ones are a snap for her to figure out.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams loves anything that has food in it, so food dispensing toys are a love of his. I haven't exposed him to much, however, and I've never actually tried him with a puzzle toy (like, the ones that look like mazes). He'd probably kill some of the other toys (like a Tug-a-Jug), so I haven't bothered. I do plan to buy a food dispensing toy for his mealtimes, I just haven't had the extra cash.

Cynder doesn't care about them.