Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Your dog and puzzle toys

Do your dogs like puzzle toys? Are they any good at them?

Juno loves puzzle toys but I started using them with her as an itty bitty puppy, so she grew quite accustomed to the concept. She gets pretty darn focused when presented with one. I was a little bit disappointed when she figured out how to do the Nina Ottosson Twister in about 5 seconds... was kind of hoping it'd occupy her for a while She's a problem solver at heart and she's food motivated enough that she gives these toys 150%.

But I thought of this thread because I decided to give this a go with Cajun's dinner tonight, and it was a little pathetic lol. I started her off with something easy - the Kibble Nibble. EASY PEASY. Just roll the stupid thing around! For as balls to the walls as this dog is and as much as she likes to play, she has to be the laziest Kibble Nibble roller on the planet. I think it took 30 minutes for her to fiiiiinallyyyyy get 3/4c of food out.

So, do your dogs like these toys or not so much?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 PM
dogstrong

All of them are pretty enthusiastic, though Copper likes to chew and bash them against things if you aren't watching.

Shadow prefers quieter ones.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
retriever crazy

laika thinks shes above puzzle toys... tug jug: not really a puzzle toy but takes some work to get treats or food out... shes above that and justs bites the plastic which pops the back off and she empties it out -_- so I haven't found any that she needs to work at

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM
such sights to show you

They like them, but Squash learned just to pick the whole thing up and drop or fling it to make the treats fly everywhere soooooo.... yea. They have limited value at my house.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Roxie is good with the ones we have. Nina Ottoson red and blue thingy, Kong satellite and wobbler, and the Buster maze. She was super confused with the satellite, and ruined the first one (I replaced it) by chewing on it. Now she's finally figured out that she's gotta smack it around, lol. Used to pick it up and gnaw on it, which got her nowhere and I'd have to keep starting her over.

Roxie doesn't push kibble through the Buster maze like she is supposed to, just picks it up with her tongue. So she cheats a bit with some things, lol. As for the wobbler, I put a tennis ball inside that... Otherwise it's too easy and only takes like 10 mins and I want her to work on it longer, lol.

I'm thinking about getting Rox some more complicated food toys, but I'm very picky. For now, I just rotate them around during dinner. Sometimes I will use two toys and she will take hardly any time at all. She's really good and eager, and smart too.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Abe thinks they are stupid and below him and Zooey is mystified by the magic!

Pretty much explains my dogs right there...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Pen just won't eat if presented with a puzzle toy LOL. Bubbles will, but it takes her a bit to figure them out. Jari has only used the Tug-a-Jug and Wobbler and likes them OK but would rather train with me for his food - he "gets" them but just likes the interaction with me better I think. Kimma loves them all because she thinks that food is the best ever, but figures them out too quickly. She also breaks them in order to get food out faster. We've said goodbye to a Buster Cube and 2 Tug-a-Jugs so far because of her craziness

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

Bristol will happily roll, dig at, lick, nose or tug anything with food or treats inside, she seems to like it because she is happy when I start filling one.

I have never let Gage try one, it just seem cruel to make him try to paw something that small with his giant feet, and his mouth is too big to fit in the holes so he would be using his tongue to try are get the food out.

Diesel would rather starve. If Bristol opens one and grabs a kibble and takes it to her bed to eat, which she normally does, he will sneak in and eat the rest while she is gone.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Duuuuude.

I tried all the Kyjen puzzles on Rowan at my old job and he's too good at them. He cleaned each of them out in about 10 seconds each, some less.

I haven't tried Riff with them.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 04-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Duuuuude.

edit: double post, sorry!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff