Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles View Post
too many names for central asian shepherd ..real names no nicknames:
CAO, CAS, aziat, alabai, kazakh, tobet,sarmat, ...it depends on the area and the country,
that's because they are different breeds, which are pretty consistant in appearance, personality and temperament within themselves but not between each other. it is only in the wewst that they are considered one breed.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ok I thought of another one, when people say "terrier mix" what freaking kind of terrier? APBT or Yorkshire Terrier? West highland White Terrier or Border Terrier, big group there people.
I definitely refer to Gusto as a BC/terrier mix most of the time. I am pretty sure he isn't Westie. Beyond that...anyone is welcome to guess.

I guess that is why it is easier to just tell people he is half BC/half alien.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
Ok I thought of another one, when people say "terrier mix" what freaking kind of terrier? APBT or Yorkshire Terrier? West highland White Terrier or Border Terrier, big group there people.

I keep the generic "Terrier mix" for Ruby because I have no flipping idea what she is. I figure "terrier looking and acting" - high prey drive, lots of personality etc.
Going off of what her previous owner said, she's supposed to be a Poodle mix.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Pit/pits, pitty/pitties, pibbles......anything along those lines make me cringe inside and want to walk away and wash my ears out with bleach (or eyes, if I'm reading them).
Old 04-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Let it be

I really don't like it when someone calls Bandit a collie because well... like previously said a collie to me is a rough or smooth collie. Not a border collie.

Pits and pitty really annoy me.

Also now all the gangsters are flocking me when I walk Arya asking what she is and if I want to breed her when she's older to their pits. Probably why I find the term so annoying. No, I don't. Go away.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberD View Post
So normal nicknames... are what they are, I guess. I mostly just have issues with people who can't say or write the kind of dog they have (Shiatsu, Lopso Apsa, Rockwilder).
Rockwilder and Lopso Apsy/a annoy the crap out of me. Mostly because 1) last dog was black and tan, usually misidentified (even when she was greying) as a Rottie puppy and people ALWAYS said it wrong and 2) my gma has Lapso (LHASA, spell check!! Jeez, even spell check gets it wrong!!) Apsos so it just annoys me.

Dotsun/Datsun annoys me so badly. Doxie is fine.

Pibble/Pittie/etc is so horrible. Pibbles don't dribble basketballs on courts, and there's nothing to pitty about the APBT. Red nose/blue nose is rediculous... What about the black nosed ones, huh?

I grew up using "heeler". Never heard ACD till I was on a dog forum. (Been in WI since I was 1yr)

Please, for the sake of the gods, no one say Dobie. It is either a Dobermann or Dobe.

I always say/spell Rottie because that is like the only breed who's full name I misspell, lol. I'm always putting extra letters in.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

I can't stand the term "Husky". There is so much confusion for me. Is it a Sibe? Is it a Mal? Is it an Alaskan? Is it a fluffy - what?!

Like, "I have a collie"? WHAT KIND.

Everything else I think I can deal with.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 AM
Big Dog

I always think when people say "collie" they mean a lassie-type collie. I never knew it was used for border collies and never think of a smooth collie.

And I think labs just look very different depending on their color. I like all three labs, but I might prefer brown labs over the other colors. I know it's the same breed but just look different for no reason. You can just get a clear image of a lab knowing it's color. Kind of with a cream or golden retriever..but I barely here people call them by color.

I hate pit/pitties/pitbulls but I'm guilty of using it. I'm not sure why I do and I do dislike saying it, but my boy is an APBT/Staff mix and it just seems easier saying pit. However, I did register him as a terrier with the city. I do really hate the red nose/blue nose bullcrap though. Ugh, stop!

3:3:0 cats - 1:1:7 snakes - 3:4:2 lizards - 2:3:7 tarantulas
1:1:0 ferrets - 2:2:0 turtles - 0:0:2 scorpions - 0:0:1 frog - 0:1:0 degu
Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

I guess I need to stop saying Dobie lol. I always thought Dobe was pronounced Dobie because I can't imagine anyone understanding what I'm saying if I say dobe, for some reason I think it's a hard word to hear. Or they'll just think I said dope. I guess I'll be using the whole thing from now on.

I also use pit and pittie. Usually pit if I'm following it up with mix (he's a pit mix) and pittie if I'm talking directly to the dog- "awww you're a pretty pittie" or something along those lines. Mostly I just say pit bull. Pibbles sounds gross so I don't use that.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I can't stand the term "Husky". There is so much confusion for me. Is it a Sibe? Is it a Mal? Is it an Alaskan? Is it a fluffy - what?!

Like, "I have a collie"? WHAT KIND.

Everything else I think I can deal with.
husky is more of a type like laika, cur or terrier. they just may not know or care beyond that level. so if they don't care, don't stress yourself over it.