Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Default What do you do with in heat females?

As some of you already know thanks to my pre-trial woes, Kili is coming into her first season. We've had increasing vulvar swelling for 5 days now but that's about it so far.

From those of you who now find this commonplace... what do you do with your in season bitches? I'm mostly talking management and activity.

Summit is neutered so there is no risk of an accidental litter, but he may well still be quite interested and I'm not entirely sure how to deal with that. I mean, while typing this he just went over before I could stop him and licked her vulva and is now chattering and slobbering all over the floor. Disgusting.

And then ther is the matter of... what the heck do I do with her for 3 weeks to prevent me from going insane? I mean, should I continue to leash walk her until she stops bleeding? Should I just keep her in the house and attended in the fenced backyard from now onwards? Our once or twice a week major exercise is usually off leash hiking or jogging and that's out. My trainer said she was still welcome at agility class if she wore panties so at least we still have that. Fortunately our yard is big enough that we can do a bit of agility training (a few jumps and weave poles) and a tiny bit of disc (but she's good enough now that really we need to start getting out of our yard to get more distance).

So let's hear it. What do you do? Am I being over cautious about the leash walking thing? Or can I pretty much not let her out of the house ever except to pee?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Lord Cynical

I'd keep it to yard exercise if you can. She'll survive.

Your male can still "do the deed" and tie, even though he's neutered.... so no unsupervised time together.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Twin 2

Didgie's first and only heat so far was in winter and they were already on way reduced exercise because of it so I didn't really end up changing much. Just play in the yard for a few weeks.

She's showing signs of coming in again I think and my plan in yard play and biking since we don't have any issues with loose dogs around my area and she's never unsupervised outside.

As for the boy (now boys), I use belly bands and panties (on Didgie) for extra precaution. During the first part of her heat I didn't separate if I was right there but that was only doable because he had no interest in her. Farther on into her heat I kept them separated just for my peace of mind.

Now, I have intact males so I made sure I had at least a door between them and often she/he was crated behind a door. I think Fergus is going to be a major pain this round, Traveler overall last time was fabulous. He only started getting anxious right at the tail end of her heat.

I did have her pee in a separate area away from where they normally go because the pee smell would set Traveler off.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

She's showing signs of coming in again I think and my plan in yard play and biking since we don't have any issues with loose dogs around my area and she's never unsupervised outside.
I guess this was my main interest. We don't have a loose dog problem here either so I thought maybe I could keep walking her. Then I was like "But at work we always tell people that male dogs will eat through brick walls to get to a female in heat so maybe dogs will come busting out of houses left, right and centre if I walk her!". lol. But seriously... is that paranoid? I thought I'd just walk her up until she stopped bleeding and keep her in during her receptive period. But then was like... "maybe I'm not being paranoid enough!"

Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Twin 2

I think everyone has a horror story they've heard

My own parents years ago had a GSD break into the house to get to their Golden who was in heat while they weren't home. But, to be fair they never walked her so it wasn't that leading him to the house and they left the door open so it was just the screen door stopping him.

I figure there is a good middle ground between paranoid and way to lax.

If I was out of the house Didgie was in a crate and behind a door and if I could I brought Traveler (more to get him out of the house than anything else). I bet there are probably dogs somewhere that would be intense enough to go through the door and the crate but the likelihood of them finding their way into my house is...slim.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

Well, she is crated overnight and when we aren't home. I guess I'll have to see what happens with Summit. It would suck to lock him out of the room where she's crated because that's the bedroom and he sleeps on our bed. Not that there aren't dog beds in the living room if need be.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

I just keep my bitch separated via multiple doors, but her exercise/training routine stays the same. She's never unsupervised when out of a kennel anyways, so it hasn't been an issue here
Old 05-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
And then ther is the matter of... what the heck do I do with her for 3 weeks to prevent me from going insane?
Xanax and vodka?

Alright, no real horror stories here. Little female dogs with big male dog. Just sort of crate (or bathroom, or bedroom) rotating. It felt like the heats were never ending, male dog totally antsy and shaking through the whole thing, stops eating for a few days, and starts marking in the house. No one ever broke through doors or windows . I did have the intact male neutered last month finally because it's more of a pain for me than it was worth.

The neutered dogs don't really care about dogs in heat. Sometimes they seem to notice, but it seems like they don't know what to do. I do think they all got a tiny bit 'testier' among each other, but it could have been the intact dog in that state of mind.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Xanax and vodka?

The neutered dogs don't really care about dogs in heat. Sometimes they seem to notice, but it seems like they don't know what to do. I do think they all got a tiny bit 'testier' among each other, but it could have been the intact dog in that state of mind.
lol. Is the xanax and vodka for me or for Kili?

Have you had one in heat since the neuter? Summit is neutered but he has definitely noticed. He's not overly obnoxious about it or worked up, but she's not really in yet either. He's been sniffing her vulva more and has licked and chattered once. But I'm wondering just how worked up he'll get about it. It probably differs from dog to dog, but I'm curious if the neutered boys tend to really get upset as well or just sort of "Huh, something is different... you smell good... I seem to remember I'm supposed to do something now?"

Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
lol. Is the xanax and vodka for me or for Kili?

Have you had one in heat since the neuter? Summit is neutered but he has definitely noticed. He's not overly obnoxious about it or worked up, but she's not really in yet either. He's been sniffing her vulva more and has licked and chattered once. But I'm wondering just how worked up he'll get about it. It probably differs from dog to dog, but I'm curious if the neutered boys tend to really get upset as well or just sort of "Huh, something is different... you smell good... I seem to remember I'm supposed to do something now?"
This varies, for sure. Some will breed bitches if given the opportunity, some are ho-hum.

Feistea, ze Blog