Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-25-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Menstrual cups

Ok ladies, I know we've talked about this before but I'm just venturing into the world of cups.

I never imagined I would convert but here I am lol. Tampons have been causing me A LOT of pain lately and I'm just done!

I bought the Blossom cup. anyone else used this one? I'm trying it for the very first time and there is definitely a learning curve.

I'm hearing about different folding techniques and such. TMI, but I did the basic fold and it did not "pop open" like it's supposed to. Anyone have that problem? remedies?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

http://www.tanyabeakes.jamberrynails.net
[/url]
Old 06-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I never used the blossom cup, but I do use a diva cup. I like it, but I'm due for a new one, and I might try something else after the baby is born.

My diva cup sometimes does the thing where it doesn't pop open. Usually if I just pull it a tiny smidgen out it will open, or I just kind of push on the side that is collapsed until it does open. Sometimes I do have to take it out and reinsert, but usually I just get it to open just by nudging it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

yeah I had read to twist it but... mine doesn't seem to want to twist haha.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

[/url]
Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 AM
Top Dog

yep, i have the Diva cup, and while I love it, I have the same issue sometimes.

1st, make sure the little holes are all cleared out...if they are clogged, it usually won't open right.

I just fold one side in, and (i don;t know how to describe this....), rather than put the entire thing all the way in & up, kinda half put it in, and slowly let it open up at the same time (so, if all works out well, the entire rim is in place, right as it has fully opened...this usually means a good portion of the cup is still out...it will just suck in!)

Shower is the best place to practice...sometimes, it just takes a little moving around to get it to completely open...so if you put it in at the beginning of your shower, then just re-check before you get out - 9/10 times it has opened up without fidgeting with it too much.

And you should be able to scoop your finger easily around the entire thing to know it is in properly.

IMO, if it feels jammed, I don't think I have ever gotten it to open if it is all the way up in there...much better off taking it out & re-inserting.

It does take practice, but once you get the hang, it is SO worth it. I still have some annoying days, where it just doesn't want to cooperate, but still so worth it!

I hope that made some sense...

Thanks Jessie!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 AM
Top Dog

I gave up with the Diva cup for that reason... it never opened properly. I swear I was raw down there from trying to get the thing to open.

I should probably give it another shot though, vacations soon and I'm due for my period then... but ugh.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:22 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I think I've got the hang of it now I found a blog and she gave a little tip about bearing down while you are inserting it and then relax your muscles and it really just pulls it right into place. Today is only day 2 of using it but I wore it all night and it was amazing! I didn't have any of the pain and discomfort I usually have and no leaks! And I didn't have to worry about how many hours it had been in.

Tomorrow will be a real test. We are going on a bus trip with the whole family to New Jersey for the entire day!!!

G.K. Chesterton

[/url]
Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

I was just coming on to say bear down a bit and push while twisting to help it pop open.

And yes, if it's being stubborn pull out, make sure holes are clean, and try again. I use a diva (been 9 years I think now?) but should work on any similar style.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:40 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Yea everything I was going to say has already been said
I have a sckoon cup. Sometimes I just give it a tug in the opposite direction and it pops open, but usually twisting it works for me. Everyone's different, though!

Good luck on the bus ride! You shouldn't have any problems. I've swam, hiked, biked, even rode roller coasters with mine haha. Sure beats the heck out of laying on the couch miserable for a week (or longer) I just wish I would've tried one sooner.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 13 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 6 y/o
Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Puppy Dog

I am a new user to the diva cup and getting it in and out are not my most favorite but it's still 10x better than tampons or pads. I haven't had too many issues with it not opening but usually remove and try again if I think it hasn't. I had to trim the stem a little bit too. It is so nice not having to worry about it all day at work or at night, I find tampons uncomfortable and terrible at their job and pads gross.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

I always say I am going to try one and haven't. My periods have been so much heavier the first two to three days since I had my son. I have to wear a tampon and pad and that sucks a lot!! I haven't worn pads since my first period till I had Case! I will eventually try one I swear.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber