Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Big Dog

Default My friend and Aspergers

We thought that we would create a thread where we can discuss about this:

My friend is an adult woman with Asperger syndrome. She cannot write to this forum because she cannot talk/write to people that she doesn't know well in person. (For example: when we met, she couldn't talk to me either. It took few times that she said first words for me.)

It's hard to explain why, but when she ask someone to write somewhere for her (it's not only about forums), the message cannot be written in first person - the message must be written in passive or in the third person instead.

She also want to add that her disability doesn't mean that she is stupid or unable to do things. She is clever and can do things by herself. My friend also understand things including what you write here since she speaks english.

Although my friend cannot do it by herself she tells me what she wants me to write and I write it to you. So she's actually all the time with me when I write to the forum. So my part of this is that I physically do what she cannot. If needed, we can tell you more about her disability.

She told me to write in this forum because this forum seems nice and she needs advice on dog training because she doesn't have a person yet who could advice her.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Welcome to the forums! What kind of dog(s) does your friend have?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Love my pets

I think this is wonderful that you are helping your friend to become a part of our forum. I look forward to any questions she has or posts she's like to make about her dog.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Welcome to the forums! What kind of dog(s) does your friend have?
My friend has a young Cavalier King Charles spaniel Lotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
I think this is wonderful that you are helping your friend to become a part of our forum. I look forward to any questions she has or posts she's like to make about her dog.
We told in the previous message that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonora View Post
She told me to write in this forum because this forum seems nice and she needs advice on dog training because she doesn't have a person yet who could advice her.
We have written several messages about that in the dog training section. Maybe you can answer to some of the questions we have asked there. We have also this thread:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...25#post2360925
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 AM
Big Dog

We had told that:
Quote:
My friend is an adult woman with Asperger syndrome. She cannot write to this forum because she cannot talk/write to people that she doesn't know well in person. (For example: when we met, she couldn't talk to me either. It took few times that she said first words for me.)

It's hard to explain why, but when she ask someone to write somewhere for her (it's not only about forums), the message cannot be written in first person - the message must be written in passive or in the third person instead.

She also want to add that her disability doesn't mean that she is stupid or unable to do things. She is clever and can do things by herself. My friend also understand things including what you write here since she speaks english
and she has also studied it. My friend constantly reads this forum. Although these languages (english, finnish) are so different, my friend wouldn't be able to write the messages any better than I do. However, since
Quote:
my friend cannot do it by herself she tells me what she wants me to write and I write it to you. So she's actually all the time with me when I write to the forum.
I just write her words here. So actually she is discussing with you - I only write what I'm told. My part of this is that I physically do what she cannot.

In another thread, one of you suggested that when I write for her, it would affect on communication. That is not the case. It doesn't affect on the messages who is writing them like in the examples here: http://www.funkyenglish.com/profiles...assroom-my-own
It affects on the messages even less since we write them together. The only difference than if my friend could write the messages herself is that they are written in passive or in the third person.

Quote:
She told me to write in this forum because this forum seems nice and she needs advice on dog training.
I can't help her by myself, because I used to have different kind of dog than Lotta is. My friend has taken Lotta to courses and she is going to take Lotta to them again as soon as she can. She would like to discuss about dog training in this forum until then.

My friend and Asperger
Lotta is funny and playful <<--read more
Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Aussie Obssessed

The different levels of aspbrgers is always interesting to me. I was also diagnosed with asbergers in high school, however I am able to freely talk to most people and I am often too brazen when it comes to talking to certain people. I do however have problems with eye contact(I noticed I had a problem with this the first time when my friends made fun of me about it and said "Hey Erin come on why don't you look us in the eye?"), being touched, and honestly have trouble having conversations with anyone unless it is about dogs or about myself, if they start talking about something else I zone out entirely. I come off a bit narcissistic to people I suppose.

As far as your friend goes, I will try to help where I can.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
have trouble having conversations with anyone unless it is about dogs...//....As far as your friend goes, I will try to help where I can.
My friend would need advice on dog training. You could look at this thread: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271247
We have told there what kind of advice my friend would need.

If you would be interested in discussing for example about take and drop we had linked a tutorial (from Pamela Johnson) in the page 2. We have tried to ask questions about it. Maybe you could answer to them.

My friend and Asperger
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I have autism, my official diagnosis is high functioning autistic/neurological sensory processing disorder. I usually use that last one if I'm cornered by strangers and certain family members as to why I have a Service Dog.

I have a lot of trouble with facial expressions, looking people in the eye, though I can fake that well enough by focusing just past them, or on a different part of their face. Sometimes I just can't do that either though, and have to look at the ground or in the air. Quite a few people on this board are autistic. Aspergers is being put under the autism umbrella as well, I believe. Saelofu would know more than I would about that. We're pretty similar in terms of functioning level, though I think she's a bit better than me. I can't hold a job to save my life, just about literally.

I have stim issues that have cropped up lately from stress, and then I have stimming that I do thats solely just soothing. Sometimes I feel like a show dog, lol. I have a CRAPLOAD of letters after my name it feels like lol. ASD (autism spectrum disorder) PTSD (though not as bad as it used to be, I can actually RIDE in a car now and not be the one driving) SAD (drugs help this, and I go on a round of treatment and wean off every winter) and then I have migraines and myclonic idiopathic seizures. There are a few others that I have that I usually forget about, like exploding head syndrome, though lately I'd be more inclined to call it "screaming lady is being murdered right as I fall asleep" syndrome.

What are your friends special interests? Mine are cars (Once I got a SD and started getting more comfortable working with a partner, I decided to go to college to study automechanics and am actually enjoying myself) dogs, horses and snakes. I dabble in other things, like archery and such. I tend to throw myself into projects and then lose interest fairly quickly. I've learned the hard way that I have to slow down before spending a lot of money on something I probably won't enjoy doing three to six weeks down the road.

I used to be a professional dog trainer, for a small business, but the necessity of working with people I decided against getting my CPDT, though I could certainly take and pass the test. I still occasionally take a dog for in board training, or boarding, but I find even that is very stressful a lot of the time. I realized I don't like being responsible for other peoples pets, and my own dogs are enough to keep me busy trick training, since they're all so very different.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Big Dog

My friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
What are your friends special interests? Mine are cars (Once I got a SD and started getting more comfortable working with a partner, I decided to go to college to study automechanics and am actually enjoying myself) dogs, horses and snakes. I dabble in other things, like archery and such. I tend to throw myself into projects and then lose interest fairly quickly.
My friend is of course interested in dogs and their training because she has one. She's also interested in horses.

My friend and Asperger
Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

It sounds like you are being a good friend

What kinds of different things is she interested in?

I saw in another thread that you were looking for advice on how to train Lotta. Is it hard for your friend to interact with new people in a group setting? I don't have Asperger's but I do have a little bit of social anxiety which makes it hard for me to be in a group setting sometimes. Would your friend let you take her dog to classes and have video taken? Maybe when the class is over you can show her what you've learned and she can practice.

It's kind of hard for people on the internet who don't know the dog to give specific training ideas.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler