Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

Default I need hair help

My hair is....weird. It doesn't fit in any "type" of hair I've seen described before. It's not curly, straight, wavy, dry, oily, etc.

First of all, it's currently just below shoulder length, with some layers/bangs grown out, and extremely thick.

I wash it using either ABS or a sulfate/paraben free shampoo. I condition with a similar (burt's bees) conditioner, but just recently started doing this due to frizzyness/drying, assuming from dryness in the environment.

I brush/comb it when it's wet, towel dry, and then don't do anything to it, bar occasionally damp braiding or bantu knots. It dries into a very wavy texture, curly if I twist it certain ways. Sometimes random bits of it dry straight, which looks weird. Then, if I have it down for more than an hour or so, it starts getting flat and droopy and straight and looking stringy. Then, I have to brush it to break up the no-longer-curly curls/waves, and it's a weird kinky/straight/wavy ugly mess.

I have NO idea if this will work, but I'm considering trying some techniques used by black girls (silk braids, twists, etc.) overnight to get the texture to hold better.

I'm not opposed to using product IF it doesn't mean I need to wash my hair every stupid night. (I wash it around every 3 days). And if it can be washed out with ABS or natural shampoos.

Does anyone have any ideas? For products, styling, washing it for better texture?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

No ideas but it sounds like we have really similar hair types (though the top of my head can be oily sometimes) so I look forward to replies!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 AM
orange iguanas.

You'll probably find you're gonna need a mousse or gel or something to hold it. Sounds like you definitely have naturally wavy/curly hair, but most people unless they have a super defined curl pattern... need a little help If I just wash, brush, and let my hair air dry, it's pretty straight aside from a slight wave at the ends. I NEED gel to make the curls hold, I can do all the scrunching or twisting in the world but it won't hold.

This is my hair late in the afternoon, after being slept on the previous night
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ps4d1960c8.jpg
(not even really a good hair day but I don't have many pictures of myself!)

I layer a couple different gels because I LOVE having a crunchy cast that I can scrunch out when my hair is dry. Or, because I style my hair at night, I feel like the crunch protects it while I toss and turn in my sleep, and when I wake up in the morning the crunch is gone. Right now I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard, and on top of that I use La Bella Sport gel. But I like to experiment a lot and one of my favorite, inexpensive things to use is homemade flaxseed gel (all you do is boil flaxseeds... boom, homemade gel).

Mousses can work too if you want something lighter, when I was in high school I had a lot of good luck with Pantene curling mousse, for some reason my hair doesn't like it anymore though. My sister has used this product for yearsssss and loves it, but her curl pattern is much stronger/more defined than mine, so she needs minimal product for them.

If you use more natural based products you shouldn't have to wash daily. I conditioner wash daily just because I like to, and will maybe shampoo once a month... but I can go days without co-washing and don't get any buildup.

I think if you tried various twisting techniques + a gel you'd have some success.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Top Dog

Thanks!!

Here's a really dumb question...how do you apply gel? Do you just rub it in like a mousse? It seems so thick and weird!!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Oh yay, a hair thread. I'm recently obsessed with hair care LOL

Hair typing your hair could help you learn which techniques may work best for you. I just found out that I've been fighting my 1c hair just about all my life lol. I thought I was straighter but messy and I used to straighten and fight the flippies. I've done away with all heat, though, and my hair is soooo much better for it
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=116252

I know I've learned a lot of wavies/curies don't brush or comb when wet at all, only finger comb! And even when dry never brush, only comb with a wide tooth comb, brushing will cause frizz. Some swear by aloe Vera gel, I don't know I've never used it, but I definitely agree with the gel suggestion

I put it in when my hair is damp, about quarter sided amount, but my hair is a little bit longer than yours (I'm about 3.5" from waist. Grow hair grow!)

I just rub it around my palms and then scrunch it into my hair, gathering small sections of hair at a time in my open palm and then as I close my hand I move it in a upward motion, like to bring the hair up to the roots.

Have you ever tried plopping? That was just recommended to me to encourage some waves and wow. I never new I could be that curly/wavy

I've also slept on doing the headband curls method if you want bigger, more defined curls. There's a TON of videos on youtube how to do headband curls, pin curls, etc... But from the way you described your hair, not combing when wet, plopping and gel sounds like it may work for you

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM
orange iguanas.

Yeah I just get like a nickel sized amount of gel in my palm, flip my hair upside down and scrunch it through different sections. I do this on *sopping* wet hair, as soon as I turn the shower off I flip over and do my hair. Then I scrunch all the excess water out with flour sack towels - they're just cheap 100% cotton towels, but a t-shirt works well too.

Plopping is awesome It basically accordion folds your hair and keeps it in that position to encourage curling, I just plop for like 15 or 20 minutes and it makes a difference! And plus, it's just super stylish....http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...psb50d15b1.jpg

You might be surprised at how curly your hair can be when you start styling it as curly hair... I know I was surprised!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't be surprised if my hair was pretty curly. If I don't do anything to it at all, it IS curly, but only for an hour or two after drying. Or the curls disappear the second I run my fingers through it.