Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

Right, but humans process and digest fruits and vegetables...dogs dont I just mean we dont measure and put numeric value to everything we eat to make sure its "perfect". I know people puree fruits and veggies but I am not convinced that makes a difference to what the dogs can really use. I did used to feed barf style back when I first started. For me, I noticed no difference when I stopped the veggies except for their poop got a bit smaller. However, I see nothing WRONG with feeding veggies and fruits and if it make you feel better, go for it. Mainly though, I think you are likely overthinking and worrying about the numbers....which again, if thats what makes you happy go for it
Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Show Dog

$6/lb for green tripe? That's crazy, thankfully I get mine for just under $2/lb.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You can see that my diet's magnesium level falls halfway between the minimal requirement and the recommended allowance.
But...that sounds ideal to me? If 50 is the minimum you want to have, and 150 is the maximum you want to have, 97 is pretty spot on.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
But...that sounds ideal to me? If 50 is the minimum you want to have, and 150 is the maximum you want to have, 97 is pretty spot on.
Oh geez, yeah I totally missed that part! Good point for sure!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Mountain Dawg

Oh no it's not the maximum, 150mg is the recommended allowance for a 27lb dog (does recommended allowance mean that *ideally* you'd get that amount? )

And Dagwall - believe me I cry everytim I look at that $6/lb price tag. I did find a vendor in CO that sells green tripe for $2.25/lb so I'm going to order some stuff from him.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintage View Post
Another option for me would be to add some brown rice (high in Mg) to their diet... I don't know if I want to go with that or supplements. ...
White rice would be a better option for dogs if you are looking to add Magnesium. True, brown rice may have a higher MG content, however white rice by some is considered superior compared to brown rice for dogs. The concept here is to avoid any gluten source protein for dogs, and gluten would be in the hull of the brown rice.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Mountain Dawg

Thanks for the tip, Claybuster!

I'm not sure if anyone else would find this interesting, but chicken is a staple for my girls (they're both under 30lbs) and they eat about 4-5oz of it every single day. I noticed that they both started developing dandruff a few weeks ago and none of them ever had that problem on kibble. Started reading more about nutrition and only just recently found out that when switching your dogs to raw the eventual "goal" is to have a diet that's primarily red meat (especially beef and lamb) otherwise dogs will start to develop a zinc deficiency (which initially manifests itself as a mild skin condition). They were getting lots of pork (5-6oz/day) and I foolishly assumed that that was good enough (since beef is so expensive they only got about 1-2oz ground beef and 1oz of beef heart daily). They already get copious amounts of fish oil, sardines, eggs, and vit E supplements so I knew that the omega-3/omega-6 balance wasn't the source of the problem. I started adding a daily zinc gluconate supplement (under 10mg) and their skin problem cleared up within a week.

Starting now I'm also going to cut back their chicken intake to every other day and increase the amount of beef they get on a daily basis. I'm really hoping that with hunting season coming up in a few months I can maybe score some venison from people clearing out their freezers...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure what area you're in, but would a local grocer or butcher work with you? I've been talking with a locally owned meat place (haven't ordered yet, I won't have the space to store anything until next week), but he's willing to order cases for me at a .10 markup per pound. I can get beef heart for 1.29 a lb which is fantastic compared to any other prices I've found for beef.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Top Dog

I used to get beef hearts for 37 cents /lb about 5-6 years ago. Now I did find a place that gets them for me for 99cents/lb. My old place could get kidneys for 40cents, but this new place is 99cents too for those. Oh well, everything goes up
Old 05-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Mountain Dawg

Lugia and Circus both aren't huge fans of beef heart (they'll eat it if it's wrapped in ground beef)... so I don't want to feed them that any more than is necessary. I'm crossing my fingers that one day they'll learn to like it.

Thanks for the suggestion, iriskai, I'll call some of the nearby butchers and see if they can order me anything reasonable!

I really hope I can get better at shopping "smartly"... they've only been on this raw diet for 3 months and the money I've spent on food during these three months (~6 month supply) equals out to about a year's worth of kibble already