Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-25-2006, 08:49 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Where'd your love of dogs come from?

These are the things I think of when I'm trying to fall asleep at night.

So really, where do you get your love of dogs? Do your parents like them as well, or are you just the total opposite of them?

My mom loves dogs. I know if we had the money and space, she would totally want more dogs. She taught me that dogs (and other animals) should be treated with respect. I think she is the main reason why I am so obsessed with animals now, lol.

My dad, on the other hand, really does not like animals. He thinks dogs are the worst, but other smaller animals don't really bug him. The smaller they are, the better. He doesn't mind Molly because she is never really around him, in fact he practically showers her in treats and takes her for the super long walks that she loves. And he doesn't mind Lucy because she is small and again, never really around him. However, he really can't stand other dogs and I think he'd be a lot happier if we didn't have any.

Then there are other things about me that are very different from both of my parents--my mom shakes her head when I say that sometime in my life, I would LOVE to own a pit bull. She strongly dislikes rottweilers, though I guess that is understandable as my sister was attacked by one when she was younger. So, loving ALL dogs isn't really something I learned from my parents. I had to educate myself in that area.

Enough of my rambling--what about you?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

I was an only child till I was six and all I had till then was my dogs. We lived in the middle of nowere and all I did was play with the dogs all day. I have always thought of them as family probally because of that.

I was the barefoot kid being babysat by the dogs

My parents bred labs before I was born and my dad has always been on me about how to treat animals and taught me a lot about them. My mom on the other hand won't admitt she even likes dogs.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Dog Show Addict

My parents bred/showed and trained Shetland sheepdogs.

I never had a Play pen as a baby, I had a puppy pen! lol I was carted from show to show with them living in the puppy pen! lmao my parents used to get the funniest comments from on lookers and passer bys at the show lol

So, I grew up in a Dog Show home Its definately natural! lol

I was a handler before I was even born lol When my mom was pregnant with me she was in the show ring with the dogs lol

when my sister rolled around, they sort of gave up the training aspect of the newbies and breeding and just settled in on our current dogs for shows.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Golden Love

I've always had a love for animals and nature. This love came mostly from my dad. I grew up with more animals than I can name. I had toads, millepedes, frogs, turtles, lots of fish, 12 guinea pigs, birds, lobsters, crabs etc. I got my first dog when I was 4ish. He was my companion for five wonderful years. When he passed away I got Moco, and then I later got Emma. I've grown up around dogs for the majority of my life. I've so thankful that I've been able to have the companionship of such wonderful animals for the majority of my life!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 05-25-2006, 09:51 PM
tessa_s212

My mom grew up with dogs. Her dad used to breed dobermans(not show bred). So she carried on that love of dogs to us. We got our first cocker when we were 4, and we've been collecting dogs ever since.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Dobiegurl

I honestly have no idea where my love of dogs came from. My grandfather made all of his dogs evil and vicious and we were constantly in fear of them, the dogs (mostly Dobermans, Rotties and Chows) held us hostage one time and life was terrible with those dogs. I was also attacked by loose dogs roaming the streets. Then my grandmother got a Doberman named Likea and she was the sweetest dog ever, and nothing like the dogs I was used to. Then she had to be put to sleep at the age of 10 months because she had some sort of disease that was very painful and it got to the point where my grandmother had to carry her outside to use the bathroom because she couldn't walk (it was very sad, I cried for days). Then grandma got another Doberman, then another and a Dobie/GSD mix (the biggest dog I had ever seen) and then we got Jessica my Pittbul, such a sweetie. After having all those good experiences with dogs I didn't let those in the past ruin my love for dogs.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

My dad is the dog lover in the family.
I was a bit extreme. I loved all animals. Fish, hampsters, birds, you name it.
I also would bring stray dogs home...or stray enough to follow me home
I grew up having
German shepard mix, Irish setters 2 of them, a Chocolate lab, Great danes,
then the last one was a cocker spaniel mix. The smartest was the cocker X
She knew things the blew most peoples minds. She was what I like to call human smart.
Now I raise labs and have one cocker who is my girl.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Twin 2.0

Both my parents had dogs as kids and my mom grew up on a farm, which is where I spent a good portion of my summers. My grandma always had at least one dog, usually two. I perfected my reading skills on a setter/retriever mix named Shadow (I've got a picture somewhere).
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

I was born into a doggy family. My mom is a huge dog lover, my Dad loves them, but not as much as my mom or I. Somehow though, I think I became the biggest doggy person of them all in my family. I live for my dogs and almost everything I do involves them, they're the one thing in life I never get sick of talking about (which is why I joined boards like this). The rest of my famil likes time away from them and does get sick of talking about dogs pretty quick.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Big Dog

My love for dogs began when I was really really young. Maybe 5 years old or so. And it all began with the move, "Annie". I loved her dog "sandy". From that day on, I have always wanted a dog......

http://tobylittledude.blogspot.com
More Pics on Toby's Blog!!~