Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

Turns out there weren't multiple bites but a hold and shake. The owner doesn't want the dog. No need to save him and note: if your dog needs to be put down, do it yourself.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/24...key-dog-future
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
if your dog needs to be put down, do it yourself.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/24...key-dog-future

Agree 100%
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
I didn't think it was his parents watching him.. a babysitter I thought I read? Grandmother?
Either way, it is your responsibility to keep your kids supervised. If a child were to wander onto farm land and got injured by livestock I would feel the same way.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Big Dog

From what I heard, the dog was chained and in his own fenced backyard and the child got in somehow.

Just wondering, if the child was on the dogs property, why should he be PTS? I know my boy Nitro isn't great with kids (I don't know that for a fact at all, but he had two bad reactions with kids but also a fine one just yesterday) and if someone came into my yard, I don't know how he'd react.

I realize dogs are being put down all the time who are innocent but it's unfair for Mickey either way.

3:3:0 cats - 1:1:7 snakes - 3:4:2 lizards - 2:3:7 tarantulas
1:1:0 ferrets - 2:2:0 turtles - 0:0:2 scorpions - 0:0:1 frog - 0:1:0 degu
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM
LABRADERP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skits View Post
From what I heard, the dog was chained and in his own fenced backyard and the child got in somehow.

Just wondering, if the child was on the dogs property, why should he be PTS? I know my boy Nitro isn't great with kids (I don't know that for a fact at all, but he had two bad reactions with kids but also a fine one just yesterday) and if someone came into my yard, I don't know how he'd react.

I realize dogs are being put down all the time who are innocent but it's unfair for Mickey either way.
Also wasn't fair to the child who about got his face ripped off either.
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

I think because not liking kids and attacking kids are very different. Gwen dislikes kids. She would not inflict damage (at least not to that extent). If a dog does that much damage to a child for it "wandering into the property" or "taking a bone", the dog is not safe.

Snapping is one thing. That dog did a lot more. If Gwen did that, she would be PTS. I would not feel safe. And I don't have the experience or resources to handle a dog that reacted that way.

It is unfortunate for all parties.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

A dog that holds and shakes is a liability. That's how dogs bite when they're trying to kill something or are serious about causing damage.

Just on the principle of the thing, I don't agree with the city mandating the dog be killed if he bites on his own property--IMO property owners shouldn't be liable for whatever happens to tresspassers. But if the owners are unhappy with the dog and feel it is dangerous and wish to prioritize wandering childrens' safety over their dog's, good for them.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
A dog that holds and shakes is a liability. That's how dogs bite when they're trying to kill something or are serious about causing damage.

Just on the principle of the thing, I don't agree with the city mandating the dog be killed if he bites on his own property--IMO property owners shouldn't be liable for whatever happens to tresspassers. But if the owners are unhappy with the dog and feel it is dangerous and wish to prioritize wandering childrens' safety over their dog's, good for them.
This^^

Also, I did not realize in my initial post that this was a dog on a neighbouring property and secured on said property.

I guess that's what I get for reading things before I reach my coffee quota.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Big Dog

The kid did take the dogs property, on the dogs property. There was also a picture of him with another child and perfectly fine and seeming relaxed. The dog probably just reacted badly to the situation but I don't think he should be pts.

I just feel like the case is different because the child was on their dogs property. If it was anywhere else, I'd have a totally different opinion.

3:3:0 cats - 1:1:7 snakes - 3:4:2 lizards - 2:3:7 tarantulas
1:1:0 ferrets - 2:2:0 turtles - 0:0:2 scorpions - 0:0:1 frog - 0:1:0 degu
Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

The dogs owner gave it up, it's own owners were not willing to fight for it, do we seriously have a shortage of dogs that the ones with a bite history like this need to be saved?