Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Am I missing something?

Why is there a petition to save this dog? I get that adults messed up in this situation but.... a dog that does that much damage to a kid and people are petitioning not to have it put down? I don't get it.

http://news.yahoo.com/campaign-save-...204712494.html
Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Highbread Dingbat

That dog mauled the child.
It wasn't a simple nip, his face suffered a lot of damage.
The owner also states that the dog killed her other dog last year? (Not that the 2 are always interrelated of course, but the combination I feel indicates a certain lack of inhibition).

There are too many pit bulls awaiting homes as it is. Pit bulls that have bite inhibition. To save one that has a history of mauling a child? It's asinine.

I hate to say it, but I'm certain it's those "Omg pit bulls are great and it's all in the way you raise them" people. The ones that don't quite comprehend the genetics involved.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

Ozfozz hit the nail on the head with this one I think.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

I wish people would quit making so many excuses for their dogs. Demand better. It's sad when a dog is put down, i get it. So if you have a dog that demands excuses be made for it, do a better job and managing those situations so no excuses need to be made and look for a better dog next time. If you like managing those situations with dogs with less than decent temperament, then by all means, make a life out of it. I know many do, and they don't have to make excuses because they spend more time managing and keeping everyone safe.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I wish people would quit making so many excuses for their dogs. Demand better. It's sad when a dog is put down, i get it. So if you have a dog that demands excuses be made for it, do a better job and managing those situations so no excuses need to be made and look for a better dog next time. If you like managing those situations with dogs with less than decent temperament, then by all means, make a life out of it. I know many do, and they don't have to make excuses because they spend more time managing and keeping everyone safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post
The owner also states that the dog killed her other dog last year? (Not that the 2 are always interrelated of course, but the combination I feel indicates a certain lack of inhibition).

There are too many pit bulls awaiting homes as it is. Pit bulls that have bite inhibition. To save one that has a history of mauling a child? It's asinine.

I hate to say it, but I'm certain it's those "Omg pit bulls are great and it's all in the way you raise them" people. The ones that don't quite comprehend the genetics involved.
Yes and yes.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
x100. I do have a little more optimism for a dog that (as in this example) gets taken off a chain, and potentially goes into a knowledgeable foster home. But I guess I don't see the point, considering there are 1359032095 pit bulls that are being put to sleep for no reason. Are we really going to start running around and saving dogs with (major!) bite histories at this point?

I guess I feel like, anyone that will be able to appropriately manage a dog like this, probably already has dogs. And if he killed another dog...he can't safely be in one of those homes, right? So he is going to live the rest of his life on lockdown, pretty much. Or is going to go to someone that is inappropriate and he is going to bite someone again or kill another dog. How is that fair?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Nope you are not missing anything, it's stupid. It goes back the have to save them all attitude. A friend had a 7 year old St. Bernard, he attempted to do this to her then 3 year old, she was right there and was able to prevent it but decided that it was best to have him euthed. This was not his first time showing aggression to the child, the other times it was small growls when she stepped on his tail, this time was an outright lunge. He was not dog friendly at all, was man aggressive and not so good with other women either. And he was seven, pretty much a typical byb, mill type saint. So she put on Facebook that she had decided to have him pts. Some chick she had on her friends list came right unglued, offered to take him into her home until a foster or adoptive home could be found...this woman had 3 kids and 4 dogs and a husband and brother living with her. Some people are just flipping nuts.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Puppy Dog

Too many crazy people who think every dog can and must be saved. They think the dog will just go live out a happy life on the magical "farm". The ones blaming the kid are just nuts, kids don't know, that's why kids/dogs need to be supervised, this situation had high risk written all over it. I am a little dismayed the babysitter/dog owner isn't being held responsible at all though. It's easy to kill a dog but shitty ownership is what caused this.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm All Ears

It just amazes me 40,000 people are petitioning this and they've raised thousands. For a dog that has majorly bitten a kid in the face.

Most the comments are stupid too. Either: 'All pit bulls are evil and should be shot' or 'That brat kid must've done it and deserved what he got!' Middle ground people? Putting THIS dog down has nothing to do with him being a pit bull.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

The dog needs to be PTS. And maybe I saw a wrong picture, but if the one I saw was indeed the dog, then the owners need to be investigated as to why the thing looks like an emaciated creature left out back to die of starvation.