Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Sport Model Pug

Default Things you wish you knew when you moved out on your own...

About to embark on this adventure in the spring, so let's hear it you wise people!

Looking at a spring move just in town here, so nothing huge. I don't have a lot of stuff between me and pug.

Advice? Anything you wish you knew?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

How freaking expensive it was.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Omg, honestly, when I moved out I was 18, I went to uni and everything went downhill from there LOL

You seem like a sensible kind of person though, so I'm sure you will just tick along just fine!!!!

I don't even know what advice I could give you, other than... Maybe have a separate bank account for bills and rent etc. When you get paid, put it directly in there, then whatever is left in your bank account is yours to spend and you will never get into arrears!

I say this having never paid a bill in my life, but if I did, that's what I would do. Definitely.

Also, you need a stuff drawer/cupboard. That place where all the things live. Bits of string, batteries, spare bulbs, paper clips. A house isn't a home till you have one :P
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Which brings up mine. This is something I knew, but it seems a lot of people don't so I'm just putting it out there.

When trying to see if you can "afford" something, always over-estimate your bills and underestimate your pay.

Have an emergency account, DO NOT EVER "borrow" from it. It is for emergencies only.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Bored Now.

The dishes don't actually clean themselves when you leave them to soak overnight.

No one will let your dog out but you, so you better be there.

Moving into an all-inclusive rental agreement with a roommate will save you $600+ a month. (We did the math yesterday at work, and my monthly expenses came in at a grand less than the next two cheapest single people there.)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm All Ears

It's expensive. Also, choose degrees partially based on pay. Cause it's all expensive.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
This!

I lived with roommates in college, and my parents still supported me financially, so I knew about the dishes, and the cleaning and things like that. The cost was what I wasn't ready for. Even now, 8 years later, I'm still shocked at how much we spend every month just on bills and things.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
The dishes don't actually clean themselves when you leave them to soak overnight.

No one will let your dog out but you, so you better be there.

Moving into an all-inclusive rental agreement with a roommate will save you $600+ a month. (We did the math yesterday at work, and my monthly expenses came in at a grand less than the next two cheapest single people there.)
On this note: be careful who you room with... Your prob best with someone you know but isn't one of your super-close friends. Friendships have been known to get ruined, new people have been known to become crazy.

Also, I found it helpful to have a roommate contract just get get expectations out from the get-go.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Which brings up mine. This is something I knew, but it seems a lot of people don't so I'm just putting it out there.

When trying to see if you can "afford" something, always over-estimate your bills and underestimate your pay.

Have an emergency account, DO NOT EVER "borrow" from it. It is for emergencies only.
That. My boyfriend does the *exact* amount needed for bills when seeing how much we would have left to spend. Do Not Like. The number of times I've let him do the bills and we end up short is ridiculous, so OVERESTIMATE! lol

Also, there's is a TON of little things you are going to need that you don't account for and it adds up fast, at least there was for me lol
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Wookie Collie

Been living on my own since 2006, and I second what many have said!

Overestimate every bill. By a decent shot. This is some of the best advice I could give (and others are thinking along the same lines, I see!)) Emergency fund, yes. In fact, I have three bank accounts:
  • Chequing account for bill payments and other important things like groceries, household products, pet supplies, known upcoming medical visits for myself and the pets, etc. My bi-monthly payments go into this account to start.
  • Savings account for my "oh sh*t" fund. This covers emergencies. My car has a nasty repair needed, the water company misreads my meter and I get charged $700 (this happened), my pet gets ill, etc. I NEVER TOUCH THIS EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCIES.
  • A second savings account for purchasing things I want, but don't need. Video games, toys for Finn, yarn for knitting, the new tablet I want, that kind of thing. It's my frivolty account.

I spent the first few years of living on my own being a terrible budgeter, before I did the three-account thing. It ended in pulling from my emergency fund all. the. time. I also have an account book where I track the amounts of all my bills every month. I like knowing how much I pay for utilities, for example, so that I can notice any significant spikes.

Plan meals. Buy the groceries you need, plus a small handful of snack/lazyfoods. Same goes for household supplies - buy what you need as you need it.

All of your chores are your responsibility. Dishes. Laundry. Sweeping. Mopping. Vacuuming. Cleaning the toilet. Unplugging the drains. And I'm not trying to belittle. It's a tough pill to swallow and even if you do a lot of your chores yourself (like I did before I moved out) you don't realize just how much living with family makes a difference until you're on your own. It's tough to get used to, but you do get used to it.

If you have roommates, draw up a roommate contract and both sign. Google has a ton of good examples.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014