Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Question What makes an aggressive dog?

Been a study..... Here is an article about it:

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-aggressive-dog.html

Quote:
For the study, Rachel Casey, of the University of Bristol's School of Veterinary Sciences, and colleagues distributed about 15,000 questionnaires to dog owners regarding dog aggression toward people. About 4,000 were returned.

The researchers found that owners reported dog aggression toward unfamiliar people more often than aggression to family members.

Nearly 7 percent of owners said their dog barked, lunged, growled or actually bit unfamiliar people who came to their house. Meanwhile, 5 percent reported these aggressive behaviors when meeting people while out on walks. By comparison, only 3 percent of owners reported aggression toward family members.

The results showed that a majority of dogs were aggressive only in one of these three situations. A dog that would lunge at a strange person on the street was not likely to lunge when a strange person approached their house.

In breaking down factors associated with dog aggression, the researchers found much more than the dog's breed at work. For instance:
  • Dogs owned by people younger than 25 were nearly twice as likely to be aggressive than those owned by people older than 40.
  • Neutered male dogs were twice as likely to be aggressive as neutered female dogs. However, there was no significant difference in aggression risk between neutered and non-neutered males.
  • Dogs who attended puppy-training classes were about one and a half times less likely to be aggressive to strangers.
  • Dogs trained using punishment and negative reinforcement, however, were twice as likely to be aggressive to strangers and three times as likely to be aggressive to family members.
  • Dogs obtained from animal rescue and other sources were much more likely to be aggressive than those bought from a breeder.
Be interesting to read the original and see how reliable it actually is.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

This isn't "what makes an aggressive dog," it's "aggressive dogs are."

A questionnaire where Joe Blow Dog Owner is supposed to tell you if their dog is "aggressive" or not is a terrible way to collect data on this subject. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm All Ears

I think 'barks at strangers' is a pretty broad kind of category. A lot of excitement and fearful behaviors (even dogs avoiding) would fit that category. Mia barks sometimes at strangers but I would in no way call her an aggressive dog.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I think it's kind of difficult to draw any conclusions without seeing the original study.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

No, it's very very easy to know that correlation is not causation. It's a basic rule of scientific study.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
No, it's very very easy to know that correlation is not causation. It's a basic rule of scientific study.
What I'm saying is.... This is a 'magazine' article of a study, I'm assuming they've read bits and regurgitated it. The original was published in a peer reviewed journal, and I know I haven't read it.

I'm saying you can't draw any conclusions about the study unless you've read it, and we don't actually know THEIR analysis or conclusion or even what they were aiming to prove/disprove.

I posted the article because it sparked interest and is an interesting discussion I didnt assume it was reliable. I think I even put that in my original post lol

Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

IMO, "aggressive" is too broad a term. Abrams growls at people that approach the car and lunges and barks at people that approach the house and/or are in an area deemed not normal. He isn't aggressive, however, just blustery. Even during those scenarios, if the person were to approach in a friendly manner, he'd turn into a marshmellow. I *don't* know what he'd do if the person acted threatening as we've never had that come up.

Although I do agree with the underlying message: a socialized, trained, well bred dog with a responsible owner is likely to be less aggressive than an unsocialized, poorly trained, crap-shoot-genetics, irresponsibly owned dog.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I posted the article because it sparked interest and is an interesting discussion
Only discussion according to what you think? Got it.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Only discussion according to what you think? Got it.
Oh dear, one of those days.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Oh dear, one of those days.
Apparently. <3

The Sheltiechick Blog