Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
iriskai iriskai is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 473
Default

Ezra.. I could bait with a rock. Mimi's a bait snob. She wants high value items in conformation. I'm going with pork heart this weekend, boiled with garlic and dehydrated some in the oven on the lowest setting with the door cracked until it's chewy. I've done liver before but if I have to pop it in my mouth quickly... Gag! Heart is better. I'll do hotdogs if I forget to make bait, but those are a little more damp, or greasy if you microwave them to dry them out.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Ezra.. I could bait with a rock. Mimi's a bait snob. She wants high value items in conformation. I'm going with pork heart this weekend, boiled with garlic and dehydrated some in the oven on the lowest setting with the door cracked until it's chewy. I've done liver before but if I have to pop it in my mouth quickly... Gag! Heart is better. I'll do hotdogs if I forget to make bait, but those are a little more damp, or greasy if you microwave them to dry them out.
The Asian/Mexican grocery store that I go to always has weird cuts of meat and offal, but I haven't seen heart yet other than chicken. Maybe I'll have to ask if they have some in the back. I looooved the venison heart I got from my trainer. It was the perfect texture. I think she cooked it like you do. I tried chicken hearts that way once, but they didn't end up quite like I wanted, and they're small.

I still haven't put any bait in my mouth. Not sure what I'm afraid of ... probably that I'll accidentally swallow it if it tastes good.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM
iriskai iriskai is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
The Asian/Mexican grocery store that I go to always has weird cuts of meat and offal, but I haven't seen heart yet other than chicken. Maybe I'll have to ask if they have some in the back. I looooved the venison heart I got from my trainer. It was the perfect texture. I think she cooked it like you do. I tried chicken hearts that way once, but they didn't end up quite like I wanted, and they're small.

I still haven't put any bait in my mouth. Not sure what I'm afraid of ... probably that I'll accidentally swallow it if it tastes good.
Yeah, I get it at Jungle Jim's, the most local super international market in the area (it's like a mall.. For food). They had beef heart, too, but the pork was on sale for 1.69 a pound. I'd prefer not to stick random organs in my mouth (that's what she said?), but sometimes it's easier! Heart tastes more like a muscle meat and has the added benefit of not giving them the runs if they have too much.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM
MrsBoats's Avatar
MrsBoats MrsBoats is offline
Legion of Zoom Den Mother
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post

My biggest issue with the natural balance rolls is that he can rip off such large chunks no matter how I hold it. I can make a chunk of liver last a whole show, but I went through some really big pieces of natural balance during 5 minutes of a conformation class. I would have to stuff my pockets to make it through a big class.
I break the large pieces into much, much smaller pieces before I give it to them. Between the two dogs, I would blow through a ton of roll in a training session if I didn't. And they ain't cheap...so I try to spread it out when I can.
__________________
Lars - URO2 UCD UCH Deerwood's Larson Bravo Zulu CDX GN RAE NJP NAP NFP OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE- L1 & L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
I break the large pieces into much, much smaller pieces before I give it to them. Between the two dogs, I would blow through a ton of roll in a training session if I didn't. And they ain't cheap...so I try to spread it out when I can.
For training I like them cut them into little pieces, but for confo it's so much easier to have a big chunk of something that he can nibble instead of lots of little pieces. I've littered the ring with tiny pieces of bait before while gaiting. Won't make that mistake again!
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
I'd prefer not to stick random organs in my mouth (that's what she said?), but sometimes it's easier! Heart tastes more like a muscle meat and has the added benefit of not giving them the runs if they have too much.


Luckily Watson has an iron stomach. The only time he got the runs from treats was on day two of a seminar where he probably had 5,000 calories worth of treats. He was only 9 months old and a PITA, so I spent both days cramming treats in his mouth. That's also what I do at conformation shows, but at least it's only 5 minutes of cramming stuff in his mouth instead of hours. He needs a really high rate of reinforcement in the conformation ring or he checks out and looks for trouble. "No dog, trying to play with the dog in front of you isn't appropriate. The judge doesn't want to play with you either."
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM
iriskai iriskai is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post


Luckily Watson has an iron stomach. The only time he got the runs from treats was on day two of a seminar where he probably had 5,000 calories worth of treats. He was only 9 months old and a PITA, so I spent both days cramming treats in his mouth. That's also what I do at conformation shows, but at least it's only 5 minutes of cramming stuff in his mouth instead of hours.
Jealous of your iron gutted dog!

I'm constantly treating Mimi in the conformation ring, mainly because so many all breed judges want to see whippets 'give ears' all the time.. Which should be necessary, but seems to be more often than not and I'd rather her not be the only stoic looking bitch special in the ring! So.. We do stupid pet tricks when it isn't our turn. I'm not above food bribery wih my dogs!!
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Jealous of your iron gutted dog!

I'm constantly treating Mimi in the conformation ring, mainly because so many all breed judges want to see whippets 'give ears' all the time.. Which should be necessary, but seems to be more often than not and I'd rather her not be the only stoic looking bitch special in the ring! So.. We do stupid pet tricks when it isn't our turn. I'm not above food bribery wih my dogs!!
I'm all about bribery in the show ring! As a young active PITA dog, he really hates standing still, so I try to make it fun and worth his while. He loves to gait though, because running!
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

I always used turkey/beef jerky to hot dogs so that I could carry some in my mouth if I needed too lol..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
I always used turkey/beef jerky to hot dogs so that I could carry some in my mouth if I needed too lol..
Also good if you get hungry during the show!

The last time I cut up hot dogs and string cheese before a training class, my husband was stealing pieces out of the bag.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site