Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

Default Favorite Bait for Confo Shows

For those who show in conformation, what is your favorite thing to use as bait? Watson is very food motivated and not at all picky, so I'm not concerned about him not liking something. Mostly I've been looking for the most convenient thing for me to handle in the ring and haven't quite found it.

So what do you use? I think my current favorite is liver - boiled and baked to dry it out, cut into big chunks. I loved the venison heart that my trainer gave me (not messy, easy for the dog to nibble), but I don't have access to that on a regular basis.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Beef jerky for us! I also like turkey jerky that looks like slim jims. Easy to transport/hide in pockets, not messy, my dogs go nuts because they never get anything like it usually.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

Logan's overly food motivated, so I actually can't use any bait in the ring or he gets all sorts of squirrely and starts throwing out behaviors lol
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Beef jerky for us! I also like turkey jerky that looks like slim jims. Easy to transport/hide in pockets, not messy, my dogs go nuts because they never get anything like it usually.
Good idea! We have some chicken jerky at home that Watson got as a gift, and I've tried it for training, but even with little pieces he chews and chews after he gets a piece. Not attractive. I do love how low mess they are though, and they're high value for him. I'll have to play dog show tonight and see how it works with very little pieces.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Logan's overly food motivated, so I actually can't use any bait in the ring or he gets all sorts of squirrely and starts throwing out behaviors lol
Yeah, Watson does that too if we have to wait around too long and I'm holding food. Sit/stand/down/up on hind legs. Haha. Luckily the breed is so small that most of the time it's just me and one or two other dogs, so things move quickly and he can't get too bored. I'll admit that I totally use food to bribe him into letting me hand stack him. If I let him nibble first and stack he's quiet, but if I just try to set him up without the food he's squirrelly.

I do have to be careful to pocket the food while gaiting or he turns his head and stares at my hand.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Lord Cynical

Smallish steaks (the palm sized ones) cooked with garlic. Learned that trick from an Elkhound breeder.... my dogs love it WAY more than they ever liked liver, and it smells so much better while cooking.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

I know a lot of people around here use natural balance rolls for bait. I use it for training and I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't go nuts for it.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Smallish steaks (the palm sized ones) cooked with garlic. Learned that trick from an Elkhound breeder.... my dogs love it WAY more than they ever liked liver, and it smells so much better while cooking.
Another good idea! Chicken liver smells ok, but boiling beef liver isn't my favorite scent *blech*. How do you cook the steak? Boil and bake the same as liver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
I know a lot of people around here use natural balance rolls for bait. I use it for training and I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't go nuts for it.
I keep them in the house for training, but don't love them for confo bait. They tend to crumble on me and get messy in my pocket. Also, Watson is somehow able to pull off large chunks so a piece I think should last me a while is gone in a minute

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
They tend to crumble on me and get messy in my pocket.
LOL...I just accept that every single pocket of vests, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc have dried out natural balance crumbs/dust in them. It's just a part of my life now.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
LOL...I just accept that every single pocket of vests, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc have dried out natural balance crumbs/dust in them. It's just a part of my life now.
I figure my show blazer can get dry cleaned less often if I minimize the crumbs. Haha. My winter jacket has so much dried up crap in it now. Sometimes I find really large pieces of rock hard string cheese that I somehow missed.

My biggest issue with the natural balance rolls is that he can rip off such large chunks no matter how I hold it. I can make a chunk of liver last a whole show, but I went through some really big pieces of natural balance during 5 minutes of a conformation class. I would have to stuff my pockets to make it through a big class.