Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Personally I would probably still take her to the store, just try to scoop her up and be firmer with people. That some animals don't tolerate being crowded is Animals 101, it's really pretty normal. Like, don't walk behind a horse, especially a strange horse, no one gets their panties in a twist about that rule of thumb.

Obviously do what you feel best about! but IMO you don't HAVE to stop, especially when you know what you'll do differently next time. And she could be rushed at a park or on the street too, couldnt she? meh. I'm sorry it happened though.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

It really sounds like she felt overwhelmed and just wanted her space.

I do not think you have any reason to feel badly. Seven kids ambling about, children and a parent screaming that is a lot of chaos to handle.

If I were Mia I would have growled too. Heck if I were you I would have snarked either at the kids who didn't listen or at their parent who should have paid attention and enforced what you said.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Mutts to you

If that experience was the exception, rather than the rule, I'd still take Mia to Petco, or wherever. You'll be more apt to head off the situation quicker (now that you've had time to think about her reaction, your reaction, etc. and what you'd do next time), so, if these trips are something Mia enjoys, I'd keep taking her.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Top Dog

I agree with everyone else...it sucks you both had a traumatic experience but I don't think Mia needs to lose her going out privledge over it.

In the future, I'd just keep an eye out for unruly kids or big groups of kids and avoid them.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Top Dog

I agree that, since you now know she may progress to growling, you will be more proactive if it looks like a similar situation is starting up. Because of her size, you've got the ability to pick her up, turn your shoulders to protect her, and walk away if needed. I don't think I'd stop taking her. You know how she will handle it now, and know how to react.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I agree that, since you now know she may progress to growling, you will be more proactive if it looks like a similar situation is starting up. Because of her size, you've got the ability to pick her up, turn your shoulders to protect her, and walk away if needed. I don't think I'd stop taking her. You know how she will handle it now, and know how to react.
I haven't read the whole thread but this is exactly what I was going to say. It was an unusual circumstance and you now know to be more proactive in the future!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

I really dislike children who run around with no discipline. If my dogs acted like that it would be a problem, so why do we (as in society) allow it from parents with children. Wish I had the luxury of being able to growl and snap at little kids.

I'd probably still take her and just be more aware of situations like that now that you know for sure she's uncomfortable with it. Fortunately she's small enough to pick up, so I'd just pick her up if you run into children that refuse to listen to you. Personally I'd probably give them a bit of a lecture. Or the parents. If you don't want to yell at the kids or the parents then seriously, just pick them up and walk away. I can't pick my dogs up so I just have to run them away. I am not above full out sprinting away. I don't care how crazy I look.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 AM
such sights to show you

I would still take her, too, but more actively manage (or outright avoid) any encounters like that in the future. That many kids together is a pretty unusual/extreme circumstance, so it's not something you're going to encounter every day.

Keep in mind, too... I know it's like a punch in the gut when someone else thinks your dog is "mean," but for most people any dog who isn't outgoing and friendly to everyone they meet is "mean." Which is poppycock, of course.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
ee stood way away in line but the one kid was cowering behind his mom and looking at us and said something about that one dog being mean.
..what a pussy.

lol I have no other commentary.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm All Ears

Thanks guys.

I'm feeling better, but yeah it was like a punch to the gut. I felt like I failed her and I hate people thinking she's 'mean'. I always want my dogs to be good breed ambassadors and usually they are. She was just overwhelmed and I should have done something more proactive.