Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Loose leash walking..what worked for you?

I am at a loss.
Merlin has a great paying attention training/treats heel...but when it comes to casual everyday walking and staying NEXT to me. Oy. HE JUST MUST GO AHEAD/SURGE FORWARD.

He is not a yanker or a bad puller by any means...it's just enough so that he's in front (slowly but surely...) and the leash is taut

Right now our walks are like (he gets in front, I stop, he comes back next to me, good boy, I keep walking, he surges forward... rinse and repeat)

Sometimes I feel like he has a 4 second attention span before he forgets and goes back to walking in front.

ANY IDEAS?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Silence, peasants.

Currently trying to do something with Feist's leash walking, but I won't even go there. Wesley did the same exact thing you're describing, he would just kind of space out and slowly get in front, no matter how many treats he got for being in the right position..honestly, maturity was the only thing that helped.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

I have no answers for you, just sympathy. This is life with Gusto. He doesn't even really "pull" - I can have one finger hooked in the leash loop and hold him. But walk on a loose leash? Not a chance.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Currently trying to do something with Feist's leash walking, but I won't even go there. Wesley did the same exact thing you're describing, he would just kind of space out and slowly get in front, no matter how many treats he got for being in the right position..honestly, maturity was the only thing that helped.
Oh no not maturity
I keep trying to make being next to me interesting (treats etc..) but out front just is more alluring I guess because slowly but surely he is over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I have no answers for you, just sympathy. This is life with Gusto. He doesn't even really "pull" - I can have one finger hooked in the leash loop and hold him. But walk on a loose leash? Not a chance.
EXACTLY! I hate trying to explain it to people because It's not like I'm gripping the leash and he is pulling ME kind of thing, I could hold it with my pinky...he is just insistent on being out front! LOL
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Twin 2

Management?

I just, can't do loose leash walking. I don't have the patience or the consistency for it. I have an "attention heel" which is actually a be at my side for a short amount of time and then be released to it the end of the leash and pull like mad.

Traveler gets the prong collar if I need him not to pull and I think I'm going to be getting an easy walk harness or something similar for Fergus.

I feel like with a lot of dogs (unless you have one of those magical, mythical dogs that just walk nice naturally) you have to be completely consistent for awhile and really not let them get away or make headway with pulling at all. Be the tree, change direction etc. but to not let it go ever. Which results in very, very short or unproductive walks for awhile.

This might be the reason I very rarely do leash walks with my dogs?

Good luck!

ETA: I guess I missed that he's not pulling! Disregard my post then!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:04 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

The only time I care if the dog is right next to me is when I'm in a crowd, and then I just shorten the leash so the dog HAS to walk right next to me. I've never really cared if the leash is taut, so long as there is no pulling envloved. And I use a prong or no pull harness to stop pulling.

So, basically....I have no advice. Lol The only time I've had a dog walk right beside me on a loose leash is when they're really tired. Although I did have a Basset I fostered who did a remarkable job, but that was because his fast gait was the same as mine and he couldn't forge ahead unless he ran. Lol

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I teach it initially like it sounds like you did.

Then I add a pinch collar (Kastle) and/or leash corrections (Limit/Eden). I want to be able to reel them in tight, not have to manhandle them to get through tight places (like at agility when dogs may or may not be lunging towards their faces...which Limit is NOT a fan of), and have them politely walk next to me. They know not to tug on the line so if I want to let them out front (like hiking), they can be at the end of the line but it's still loose. If I want them beside me, I choke up on the line, and it's still loose. I also walk them ALL the time, in lots of places. Oh, I didn't add corrections until they were old enough/mature enough to handle it.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 PM
orange iguanas.

Treats when you're walking nice and leash corrections when you're not. I'm not super consistent with it but seriously, adding in corrections is what made us get practical results.

I also make myself look like a dork and will get them amped up by running and smacking them around lol and that makes them super focused and engaged during the walk. It's a nice way to start the walk.

I'm really happy with Juno's leash walking but she used to be horrible. Now Cajun needs work!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Gentle Leader lol. Lincoln and Charlie walk very nice on leash except they like to swerve. Nimbus is so small you don't really notice her pulling. The only time mine ever LLW is when we go running.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Consistency? I worked really hard on LLW with Siri when she was a baby. Even if she doesn't do it for anyone else, she remembers every time I take her out. She may initially leap to the end of her leash but I back up and she falls into place.

I worked even harder with Gabby and hers is super reliable if I attach a leash to her collar. I generally don't care about tension on the leash, so she knows that if she's wearing a harness she certainly isn't allowed to drag me around, but she can move around quite a bit.

For both dogs I backed up if they hit the end of the leash, and I expect checking in/eye contact regularly. I still reinforce with food for good leash skills occasionally, but it's not every x number of steps anymore.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years