Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh, and I should add that I really thought a bullmastiff would fit the bill - until I spoke to THREE different breeders who told me they stopped breeding because of tragic incidents involving their "awesome, friendly, calm" dogs who suddenly killed a neighbourhood dog
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinT View Post
Oh, and I should add that I really thought a bullmastiff would fit the bill - until I spoke to THREE different breeders who told me they stopped breeding because of tragic incidents involving their "awesome, friendly, calm" dogs who suddenly killed a neighbourhood dog
Um. That's a bit scary.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Puppy Dog

Yes, super scary. After the 3rd phone conversation with a breeder who told this same story, I just crossed it right off my list. Now, I realize there are likely plenty of great bullmastiffs, I just decided they weren't for me.

I should also say that I will be taking my next dog (along with my shih tzu) to the groomer every 6 weeks, so that is not a problem. I don't do much grooming in between.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Bernese Mountain Dog? Great temperaments for the most part (I do know of a few anxious ones, so make sure to check the lines). Non-greasy coat as compared to a newfoundland. Biddable, low energy, fun dogs!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Puppy Dog

Bernese Mountain Dog could definitely be a fit.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Quote:
What! I haven't ever heard of that happening with the bullmastiffs I know are here.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Puppy Dog

I know - crazy. And I figured maybe I just got unlucky in the breeders I spoke to .... but when I came across the third one I just decided to give up, and that it would be too hard to find a breeder I would trust. Sigh.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
-large in size
-non greasy coat (don't like the feeling of having to wash my hands after petting i.e. labs)
-fairly quiet
-reasonably biddable
-low prey drive
-low to medium energy

Does this exist? Any breeds jump out as fitting this?
As you hadn't mentioned anything about health or longevity, a Bernese would certainly fit the bill; the Leonbergers and Newfies we see around here are also of similar temperament and energy levels.

Bullmastiffs being out, there is always the Dogue de Bordeaux. The Spinone Italiano would be a very good consideration also.

Having said that, with these general parameters, have you considered a rescue dog?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm not sure how active Standard Poodles are, but have you looked in to them at all?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Quote:
I know - crazy. And I figured maybe I just got unlucky in the breeders I spoke to .... but when I came across the third one I just decided to give up, and that it would be too hard to find a breeder I would trust. Sigh.
You might also be talking to crappy breeders who don't breed for temperament. I don't know enough about their temperament to say if dog aggression is an issue...but the ones I see on a regular basis don't show that.

I wouldn't write off the bullmastiff because of three breeders. I'm quite sure could pick three rottie breeders from web searches who have created dogs of questionable temperaments. Also too...who are they selling their dogs to?? I'm thinking clueless idiots who set their dogs up to fail by killing a dog.

The national parent club of any breed is a great place to start. They have breeder referral programs in place for people just like you who are looking to get into their breed. You can ask the club questions and you'll get truthful answers.

http://www.bullmastiff.us/

Start here and you will find code of ethics breeders producing dogs with correct temperaments.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC