Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Which breed does this sound like?

-large in size
-non greasy coat (don't like the feeling of having to wash my hands after petting i.e. labs)
-fairly quiet
-reasonably biddable
-low prey drive
-low to medium energy

Does this exist? Any breeds jump out as fitting this?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Puppy Dog

Except for the prey drive, I'm starting to think this sounds like a greyhound. But I don't really want a greyhound .....
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Does shedding bother you at all? Coat length? Drool? Do you want a reserved dog, or more friendly? Off leash reliable? How large is large?

Honestly, as long as you are feeding a proper diet and bathing your dog on a regular basis, the dogs coat shouldn't be greasy. I know exactly what you are talking about, and there isn't really a breed with that kind of coat...just gross dogs that aren't bathed or are fed crap.

A Great Date may fit the bill, but they are obviously very large and require a lot of structure as pups so they mature into well behaved dogs.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

I know nothing about their prey drive....but what about a Bull Mastiff??

They do drool...but they seem to fit the rest of this:

Quote:
-large in size
-non greasy coat (don't like the feeling of having to wash my hands after petting i.e. labs)
-fairly quiet
-reasonably biddable
-low prey drive
-low to medium energy
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RA SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Big Dog

landseer or newfoundland ...some of the mastiff breeds, like saint bernard
but these are too large,
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinT View Post
Except for the prey drive, I'm starting to think this sounds like a greyhound. But I don't really want a greyhound .....
I'm offended! Why not? lol

I was going to say that it sounds like a greyhound. And the prey drive depends on the individual dog. There are greyhounds out there with minimal prey drive. Summit has virtually zero. I've had a rabbit run across the hiking trail under his nose and he barely looked at it (friend's shih tzu x dachy took off).

Granted greyhounds don't appeal to all. I thought they were a little... different looking when I first considered them. But they were the perfect match on paper and I wanted a dog so badly. Now I think most other dogs are funny, bulky, and unsleek looking. lol

I'm sure that describes some other breeds out there that are non-sighthounds. Good luck!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
...Honestly, as long as you are feeding a proper diet and bathing your dog on a regular basis, the dogs coat shouldn't be greasy...
Labs and Chessies are supposed to have a somewhat greasy coat to repel water. Bathing removes the oils from the coat, which is why a lot of Lab people rinse their dogs instead of bathing them, even those showing in the breed ring.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

I was going to suggest a bullmastiff too. I have several in my classes and they do really great! More biddable in my opinion than some of the other mastiffs and a smaller size which is nice.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I was going to suggest a bullmastiff too. I have several in my classes and they do really great! More biddable in my opinion than some of the other mastiffs and a smaller size which is nice.
Yes...the ones I see are at performance events like agility and obedience. They are nice, steady dogs and they seem like they would fit the bill for what StompinT is looking for in a dog.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RA SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for all suggestions.

Great Dane - this is actually where my search started. GD and Irish Wolfhound, actually. At the end of the day, I decided I just could not deal with drool. Which took out many of the breeds I really like - mastiffs, bullmastiffs, great pyrenese, etc.

I prefer low shedding (who wouldn't? LOL!) but am trying to decide just how much hair I can deal with. I'm pretty house proud and particular, but having said that, I have 3 young children and a shih tzu running in and out constantly, dropping food, spilling, etc. I just clean a lot

I love dogs that love ME, and are friendly to everyone, but not over the top, in everyone's business all the time. Pretty much just like my shih tzu. If I could get a shih tzu at about 85 pounds, that would be perfect