Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

Default Agility Handlers

I'm starting to notice something .

What do you think of "pro" agility handlers running your dog for you (or even other sports, barring confo)? Especially seeing this with breeders that are too busy to do it themselves, or breeders that don't have the skills to do it themselves.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Not for me.

I also know some people who drop their dog off for lessons. They also are the type that quit with their one dog that wasn't good enough then got a nice shiny BC puppy. Then drop BC pup off with a trainer. Not my kind of thing. There's no point in doing agility if I'm not the one training it and competing with my dog.

It doesn't BOTHER me per say if people do that but it defeats the entire purpose of agility for me. I do agility to get out and have fun with my dogs and to strengthen our bond and for me to become a better trainer. Hard to do that if I've handed the dog to someone else for a lot of it!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

While I wouldn't do it (and at least one of my dogs absolutely wouldn't run for another handler), I don't see anything wrong with it. I know a few people who do it for different reasons.

-One owner with serious health issues, and a seriously kick-butt little dog who happily runs for others.

-One owner who competes her own dog some, but it is genuinely a top-class dog, and the owner simply doesn't want to commit to that level of training. So sometimes it goes trialing with their trainer.

-A few owners who simply like to watch their dog run more than they like running them.

I was actually surprised, coming to agility from the horse world, how little "professional" handlers are used.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

I hadn't thought about it but it really makes sense for some breeders who may not be able to title all their dogs themselves due to time constraints (you can only train and run so many dogs at a time after all). Puppy buyers want to see titles. Makes total sense.

And as someone else mentioned, if the owner has a disability and can't.

Personally though, I enjoy running my dogs. I enjoy being with my dogs. I also handled Kili in confo. Folks would tell me I should hire a handler to show her and she'd do well. But why would I do that? A champion title means nothing to me unless I handled her.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 02-15-2014, 05:09 PM
overdogged

I would love somebody who had the skills that I don't to run Steve for me. He's so fantastic and I'm so... late. LOL

Once in awhile I'll get my trainer to run him for me. He'll run for anybody (flyball too), which is nice. I like it because I get to actually watch him in motion. He's beautiful.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

You couldn't pay me enough to have someone else handle my dog, in anything.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Show Dog

Pig would definitely do better if she was running with someone who actually knew what they were doing, but where's the fun in that? I can understand why people would do it, but it's not something I would personally chose. At least, I don't think I would ever hire a "pro." I could see myself lending a hypothetical dog to a friend or kid who wants to try a sport but doesn't have a dog to do so with. Maybe. I might be too controlling when it comes to my dogs to do that in reality. But in theory, sure.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie's breeder is a professional agility handler for somebody. I don't know them personally but there are two people who at one time owned relatives of Auggie's (the dog has since died) who are professional handlers for many people.

I wouldn't call myself a professional, and I don't get paid for it, and technically I am on her papers as co-owner - but I am Georgie's handler. My mom wants Georgie to be successful in agility, but she is not as serious about it as I am (ahahaha understatement of the year) and also, she doesn't want to run her because she thinks she will make a fool of herself on the course. So the deal is that she trains Georgie, but I run her at trials. I of course work with Georgie too, and I basically tell my mom what to do with her LOL - but the majority of the actual training time is my mom's responsibility.

I wouldn't consider hiring one for my dogs, obviously, (I don't even really want to pay a handler to show P in confo, even though I've been told he could most likely get his Ch with a handler - that just defeats the purpose for me... I'm still a tiny bit undecided, but I don't really think I want to bother if I can't owner handle him...) but I think it would actually be quite cool to be talented enough at agility that somebody was willing to hire me to run their dog. And I don't mean my friend asks me to run his dog because he's up for his last QQ to get his MACH and he gets too nervous and wants me to do it instead. =P If I could actually make a living, even a modest one, running other people's dogs in agility? That would be super rad.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Vizsla mom

I am as far as you can get from a professional handler ..but I run another dog for someone consistently. The man got Briar then had 2 knee replacements so he can still train but he finds trials incredibly difficult because of the length of time required to be on his feet.

Running, volunteering, walking courses, etc several times a day is just too hard on his knees. It has been an amazing experience for me& I have learned so much! Although Briar is a Worlds dog for sure and I'm praying we can place at Nationals& spring cup ..so maybe he should find a better handler? Hahahah
Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Top Dog

For myself personally no, but I do it with the boys for fun we are not going out there for the titles, they would just be a bonus if we got one lol.

But for other people, by all means, if it's getting the dog out and doing something then great!