Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Love my BC and Pap!

Default Most Affectionate Active Breed?

I'm getting my next dog in the next 2 years. Aside from our Papillon, I only have experience with Border Collies and BC mixes. I even suspect that my rescue chow mix is part Border collie...

I want to broaden my horizons and get a new experience. This will be the first dog I'll be getting into serious dog "stuff" with. I really want to start networking in the dog world more and becoming part of that community. But at this point, I've been to so many events and done so much research that I think I've overwhelmed myself with my options! But here's where I am...

- I would REALLY like a dog who gets high points in affection. I've loved all my border babies but none of them were ever in your face affectionate. Last year I helped my roommate raise her weimaraner pup for the first year, and Oh my god she just always wanted to be in your face or snuggling. She was practically obsessed with her owner, definitely a velcro dog. I get how this can annoy some folks, but I've figured out that with me, I want a pooch that wants to be in my lap snuggling at night.

-I'm not particularly interested in most retrievers. The one exception would be the Flat Coat. I found one breeder who I really like, but even so, Flat Coat wouldn't be my first choice...unless it turns out to be too perfect of a match. I've never spent much time with Flat Coats, so thus far I've had to rely on research with this breed.

-I've always been attracted to sighthounds, and used to do a lot of work with the greyhound/whippet rescue nearby, but never hear a whole lot about sighthounds with obedience or therapy work. Would I be able to train any sighthound breed for off leash hiking?? One that has less prey drive than the other?

-I'll be renting for at least the next few years so any breed hated by insurance companies is off the table. Which is a bummer because I think a Doberman or a bully breed would work well for me. ESPECIALLY a Dobe, I have always loved them and have heard they're velcro dogs.

-I have one more, off color consideration I've been thinking about lately. Newfoundland? I was impressed by the breed club and the emphasis they put on water rescue, therapy, obedience work... emailed a few breeders who seem like they do A LOT with their Newfs. The affection obviously fits the bill. Anyone have any experience in doing activities with these guys? I always thought of them as pretty low energy. I'm totally fine with a couch potato around the house as long as they're motivated to train and do fun things with me outside of the house! Shedding also isn't a concern as I'm already grooming my Chow mix's crazy coat every day.

So, as you can see, I'm all over the map right now! Would love some help and perspective to get myself focused!

made by Esther @ disneydreams-boards.org
Old 11-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Taxiderpy

Regarding sight hounds off leash, it's not so much the prey drive that is dangerous. That's part of the equation, but there are many breeds with really strong prey drive.

It's the speed. They can get out of earshot before you realize it has even happened, and being sight hounds they don't think about stopping and smelling their way back. They're like a lost little kid at that point.

I think any breed will be as affectionate as you want. Two of my borzois are that affectionate. Two are more independent. I'd look more at the size, coat type, and energy level you want to live with. Personally I'd rather cuddle with a soft silky dog or smooth dog than a wire coat. Once you find that, start looking within those breeds for an individual dog who is a snuggler.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Vizsla mom

Vizsla?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Love my BC and Pap!

Good point, Romy. Do you ever take your Borzois off leash?

I guess it must just be the lines we got our borders from. Actually, they were all working bred except for our more recent Sport bred border, and he's honestly much more affectionate.

As far as size, medium to large. I've never owned a large breed dog but am not intimidated by size at all. And having raised BCs, I know I don't have to worry about ending up with a breed with too much energy, I could handle it. I think my larger concern would be not enough energy, which is the only thing I'm not sure about with a dog like a Newf.

My only restriction with a coat is I don't want a dog that comes with a "grooming learning curve". Like a poodle. But If I just have to brush the crap out of a dog and snip some shaggy hairs, that's something I already have to do with my Chow mix.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

I've never had newf myself but did go to obed school witrh who came most of the time. She didn't come to the classes a lot of the time during summer because she didn't do well with high temps and preferred staying home with the a/c. Her owners also said vacuum cleaner didn't last long in the house! She was a sweetheart and got along well with other dogs
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Silence, peasants.

Yeah, might just be the lines you got your dogs from and their individual personalities. My border collie is as affectionate as they come.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

You said size in not a huge issue. So have you looked into any of the more active mastiff breeds. Boerboel, Cane corso?? I don't know how you feel about a breed that have guardian instincts though? Would a mastiff breed be included in the restricted list??

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 11-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

What about Boxers?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Love my BC and Pap!

I love Boerboels, they're one of my favorites! I actually have a serious interest in guardian breeds, but I have fears that I'll run into the same troubles that I would with a Doberman or an AmStaff. I've just heard horror stories of people having problems with dogs that "looked" like pit bulls(to the untrained eye I guess...). If someone has any first hand experience with that I'd love to hear it.

Unfortunately, most of my top choices will not likely be my next dog. Dobermans, AmStaffs, Boerboels, Malinois.... haha it's a grind!

There are a couple more compact breeds I've looked at as well, ACDs and Whippets specifically.

I've considered Vizslas as well, they're still in the running. What do you all think of Dalmatians? They're still kicking in the back of my head but I have concerns with some of the breeding ethics of the Dals.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

All dogs in my BC's pedigree are almost overwhelmingly affectionate. Like, curl into your lap and shove their face in yours affectionate. The kind of velcro that when you get up to go to the bathroom, they race each other there to accompany you. Super velcro and super affectionate without compromising working ability.

These particular dogs are extremely versatile and that is why I preferred my breeder and this breeding. I wanted to try and get into some serious dog stuff. They do everything from herding, to nosework, to therapy work, to FEMA Search and Rescue, comformation, disc dogs, etc. They are all British lines too, which was a strict requirement for me because I personally did not want an AUS lined dog.

Maybe stick with Border Collies and just look into some different lines.