Sores on boy bits

My chow has been getting sores here and there on his testicles. He'll usually get one and it'll scab up and go away. This time he got 3 and they just weren't clearing up like usual. I gave him a good scrub and put some bag balm on them. They seem to be clearing up, but I question why he keeps getting them. I have read it can be anything from bug bites, allergies to dry skin. I don't think they are bug bites, though the breed does tend to be prone to dry skin. I wonder if it's from laying on the smooth floors and it's just getting too much moisture, but again I'm not sure how to solve this since he prefers the cool floor.

The only solution I can think of is to get him fixed, though I was strongly considering waiting for his growth plates when he was older. Should I just push up the date or are there any other ideas? In all honesty, I've never had a dog intact this long [he'll be year in March], so I've never really gone through anything like this. My friend has an intact male and he is all hair down there and my boy looks like he shaves...leaves me wondering if that is part of the problem too.

Barb04

Super Moderator
It might be from him licking so much. I know my male dog stopped the licking once he got neutered. I would consult with your vet since I'm not sure if this will solve his problem or not.

Saeleofu

Does he have sore anywhere else? I'd talk to a vet about getting the sores cleared up before doing something as drastic as a neuter.

I am with him approx 99.9% of the waking hours and I haven't noticed a lot of licking going on [he's pretty noisy, so it's hard to miss].

No, he doesn't have the sores anywhere else.

I don't mind taking him to the vet, but I have a very strong feeling having him altered will be the suggested remedy. I suppose it couldn't hurt, my guess is even if they suggest fixing him...they will want the sores 100% healed up before doing so.

Thanks both of you

Members online

No members online now.