Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Active Pup

Default Medium active biddable breed? Help! Toller, ES, Koolie, Spaniel?

Hi everyone!
I'm looking to get a puppy within the next year or two and am having trouble deciding on a breed of dog. I was raised with German Shepherds, had a BC for a few years, and raised a lab puppy who is now a service dog.
I'm a grad student and a distance runner, I usually run between 5 - 15 miles at a time, a few times a week. My partner and I have a house with a yard in a big city and are looking to have kids within the next 5 years. We also have a very dog savvy cat named Pistachio.
I want a medium sized breed dog that will go on runs with me, do agility/obedience, and go on hikes and backpacking trips with us. That said, I don't want BC intensity or a dog that is difficult to live with. We do work during the day and want a dog that when properly exercised before and after, would be content to chill. The dog should be good with kids (supervised of course) and with other pets. I would prefer a dog that is not aloof or reserved with strangers, although of course I understand this varies even within breeds.
I am currently considering the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (too unstable/reserved?), Australian Koolie (too active?), English Shepherd (vary too much within the breed?), Welsh Springer Spaniel (can't find any that do sports and not just show?), and Stabyhoun (not lots of info out there). I am open to other breeds too, and would really love some help narrowing down the breeds based on my needs. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Obvious answer to me is golden retriever.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Active Pup

Goldens are great, but they are far too big to fit comfortably in my small car when I have a lot of gear with me. And they have major health issues!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Hm well the goldens I'm around are pretty comparable to a lot of the breeds listed with the females being in the 40-45 lb range very often. ES can get very very big, by the way. I've seen males up to 95 lbs.

English springer?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

Tollers are really cool dogs and I think it could be a good fit, but they do seem to be quirky and I have known of more than one who had shy/skittish tendencies. Definitely meet some first.

Koolie might be too active, but they are cool dogs. The main issue is their rarity here so it will be hard to meet one in person and you would probably have to ship a puppy.

English shepherds are great dogs and there are people at this forum who could help you find one. They do vary a lot, but you can find the type of dog you're describing.

Welsh springers are obviously my choice (though I've considered all of the dogs on your list). It's true that most breeders show in conformation and don't do a whole lot else, but there are plenty of people in the breed who are doing obedience and agility with their dogs. IME, they make really nice family dogs, are active but not insane and have a great off switch. They are not as biddable as a golden and do have their own opinions sometimes, and the males especially can be slow to mature wild children as adolescents, but they are just great dogs. They love their people and are very devoted to their family.

Stabyhoun look awesome and I've read good things, but again they are very rare and it's not easy to find one to meet. You also have to get on a national level waiting list to get one I think, because so few litters are born.

I agree that a small golden would work (I have seen many field bred females around 50lbs) but the health issues scare me as well.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

What about a field bred English Cocker?

Iggy 2007 Chesapeake Bay Retriever :: Harlow 2010 Boxer ::
Rider 2012 ACD/BCx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

I think field bred English cocker is a great idea. I'd love to get one some day.

English springers are also really fun dogs, but a lot of the ones I've met are just a bit nuts. Sweet dogs, but a little too bouncy for me.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
What about a field bred English Cocker?
Or a Field Spaniel!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

The Tollers I know are definitely not unstable or reserved, but may be a little bit too much energy for you. They tend to be much more energetic than the koolies I've met, and they're tons more energetic than my border collie.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Active Pup

I think it depends on the type of energy, if that makes sense. In my experience, BCs have more quiet intensity while Goldens or Aussies are more bouncy and boisterously energetic. I'm looking more for the latter this time.

Thank you for the Spaniel suggestions! Are Welshies and field bred English cockers similar in temperament? I'm at a loss as to how to find a field bred English cocker, to be honest.