Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm All Ears

You could always try something low key for him! I know nosework isn't as exciting but it's fun for the dogs if it's offered anywhere. Or you could just do it on your own.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
overdogged

Nothing earth-shattering. Flyball tournament in March, maybe the USDAA Mid-Atlantic Showcase with Steve in May, just because it's local. I think Steve has two P1 Gamblers legs, so it'd be nice to get him a title. (Steve loves Gamblers best of all)

Right now I have Steve in agility classes plus flyball practice every other week, Bean in Rally 1 class plus flyball practice every other week, Luce in rally courses class, and Hambone in beginner obedience plus flyball practice.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
You could always try something low key for him! I know nosework isn't as exciting but it's fun for the dogs if it's offered anywhere. Or you could just do it on your own.
We definitely do some nosework with him at home. He really enjoys it, but I haven't been able to find anyone that knows what they are doing to do a class.

There's a possibility David may do some Obedience or Rally with Art, but it's still up in the air at this point.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Denise Fenzi has some online nosework classes. I'm in the advanced right now. It's $65 for a 'bronze leve' (nonworking spot) but it's been very good. Lots of good stuff I hadn't thought about. But they're geared towards NASCW trialing. But still good just for fun, imo.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Good luck to everyone with shows coming up!!

Let's see...we are busy this next month:

Tomorrow and Sunday (if the weather isn't horrible) - USDAA Agility for Lars

Lars AKC obedience show and Go - Feb. 23

Lars last AKC RAE leg show - March 1st

Ocean - UKC Rally - March 8th

Lars - AKC Agility - March 23 - 23

Ocean NADAC Agility - March 29 -30

Depending on where Lars and I are doing with Utility - Lars AKC obedience 4/12 13. If we're not ready...then Ocean will do AKC Rally instead.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RA NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
CAT= coursing?

They offered a coursing deal a while back at my sports place but I had never heard of anyone doing one with a toy dog. Summer would not chase but Mia probably would. How is it run?
Coursing Ability Test through AKC. I thought that was how you abriviate it. Small dogs under 12" I believe only go half the distance of larger dogs. If they keep focused and follow the lure the whole course, they pass. Three passes equal a title, CA.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Denise Fenzi has some online nosework classes. I'm in the advanced right now. It's $65 for a 'bronze leve' (nonworking spot) but it's been very good. Lots of good stuff I hadn't thought about. But they're geared towards NASCW trialing. But still good just for fun, imo.
You can also apply for a scholarship with them and get it for a lower rate. I think $35. In case anybody is interested in any of her classes but money is tight.

Talking to my mom about entering the puppies in a localish novice only trial the weekend before Louisville... just to get them in a ring and do some work before being like LOLOLOL OKAY NOW WE'RE IN LOUISVILLE SURPRISE DO AGILITY AGAIN. She's not thrilled about the idea, but I'm about to be like "okay, well, I'm entering and I'm taking Georgie with me."
Also considering going down towards the STL area in April... initially I didn't want to enter because it will interfere with my half-marathon training, but. But.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The most immediate is Frodo's upcoming Rally debut! Only 8 years in the making

Siri will continue doing agility lessons and working on disc. I would love to enter her in a disc competition this year, but we will see how she progresses once it's warm enough to get outside.

I also plan on having Siri condition with me in the Spring when I start running again. I would love to rollerblade with her as well, we will see how her conditioning goes!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I'm just winging it for now...I had hoped to enter an obedience and rally setup in April, but I'm sort of put out by registering my dogs into yet another venue just to 'practice', sort of (CDSP). It's really up in the air with Romeo, I go through periods where I think his vision and mobility are OK enough to do these things, then I wonder if I'm not being fair to him, but he likes to do this stuff so why not...ugh. I'm hoping Fiona will be ready to get started in rally puppy stuff by that date, but again it's WCRL rally so I have to register her again at like $35. I'd like to stay in the AKC world but AKC rally doesn't have 'puppy' classes. I guess with Fi it will depend on how quickly the snow melts so we can actually get down to training.

I'm searching the AKC events page for CAT tests every week or so. Going to put Fiona on at some point, hopefully. Would like to with Skye but it depends on the venue, a safe place she can go off leash.

Watching for herding ability tests, also going to start contacting people regarding herding lessons. Will probably start some tracking with a friend when the snow melts.

Skye, I'm considering my options with further agility classes, actually. She likes it, I like doing it. Might also do a few more barn hunts just because.

So...no exact dates set in stone, but that's what I have going on .

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

All USDAA agility, all the time (or as much as my wallet can manage).

A seminar in mid-April, assuming we get in.

Definitely a day or both in Mass the last weekend in April. Definitely all three days in RI over Memorial Day weekend, as that is my birthday and my gift to myself is 3 days of trialing without hating myself for spending the money (and it is a great site that my dogs love). Our club's trial in June. I'd like to squeeze in another day or two somewhere in the middle, but it will depend on money and on just how much Gusto's stress issues have actually been resolved.

I'd like to try to finish his P-MAD by the end of the summer, and be able to start really focusing on his championship. We'll see. I'm on a high after his amazing trial last weekend, so feeling very optimistic!